MG5 long range heater

Rookery

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all I have recently taken delivery of my first ev and loving it I have covered 1100 miles already.
My question is does anyone get a burning smell when you have HVAC on? This doesn't happen every time probably about 50%. I turn it off for a while and put it back on and it's ok.

Yes, I get a burning smell when the heater first comes on. No different to the smell of any resistive air heater really.

Thanks for your reply and I know the smell you refer too but this is much stronger and it happens only about 50% of the time so you can pretty much guarantee that if I take it to the dealership it won't happen.

Thanks for your reply and I know the smell you refer too but this is much stronger and it happens only about 50% of the time so you can pretty much guarantee that if I take it to the dealership it won't happen.
Do you use AC to "condition" the air ?
Musty smells can build up in the ducting if you don't.

I’ve had similar with other air type appliances (non car) and seen in instructions on occasion that it takes a bit of bedding in and smells can be expected but nothing to worry about. I guess it’s worth just keeping an eye on and if it gets worse or doesn’t go away then worth investigating further. Not sure if this applies to this particular issue or if it does how long you could expect this for?

Thanks for the information, I initially thought it was because the car was new but afer a month and 1100 miles who knows.
But as you say I'll just keep an eye/nose on it and see what occurs.

Can't say that I have - I generally have it set around 21oC and adjust the speed or press windscreen button when things start to mist up.
Hi
Just a question at 21oC does your heater blow cold air or warm air
I only get warm air at 24oC
Is anyone else’s heater like this
I did get that kind of smell for a couple of wry but now it’s gone
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hi
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I need to read the manual to be honest - the 'auto' setting doesn't seem to behave the way my last car did. Not sure I've noticed air temperature as it's always directed towards the windscreen

I need to read the manual to be honest - the 'auto' setting doesn't seem to behave the way my last car did. Not sure I've noticed air temperature as it's always directed towards the windscreen
Hi
I had it back to dealership after a couple of weeks for
Squeaky door mirrors
Headlights levelling up
and the heater
The service manager said they tested the heater on a car in the showroom and it was the same as mine
It got warm at 24oC
21oC in my old Cmax was roasting
I’m sat in car now and it’s 11oC outside and I’ve got heater on 21oC and it’s blowing cold air
Hmmm
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hi
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I do have to have the heater set higher than I used to in my last ICE car but according to what I have read this is normal for EVs.

The A/C performs different when your in normal or Eco mode - in Eco the heating is significantly less responsive, and in the summer, not that great in cooling on a warm day. Sad to say but the manual does actually mention that A/C is affected in different driving modes

Heating is definitely not as hot as my last car but coupled with the heated seats its sufficient. Mine had a burning smell when new but has faded away now.

I had exactly the same issue on a new BMW 5 Series a few years back, the heater never really got that hot on max. The dealer investigated and said "this is by design, so occupants don't get sleepy". True story :oops:

The A/C performs different when your in normal or Eco mode - in Eco the heating is significantly less responsive, and in the summer, not that great in cooling on a warm day. Sad to say but the manual does actually mention that A/C is affected in different driving modes
Yes that's correct it reduces power to the HVAC. It seems by what I have seen particularly on Tesla Bjorn videos that he mentioned in Chinese cars the heater does need to be at a higher heat.

Heating is definitely not as hot as my last car but coupled with the heated seats its sufficient. Mine had a burning smell when new but has faded away now.

I had exactly the same issue on a new BMW 5 Series a few years back, the heater never really got that hot on max. The dealer investigated and said "this is by design, so occupants don't get sleepy". True story :oops:
Fingers crossed mine will also fade away.🤞

My old 2001 Ford Mondeo Ghia X was the first car I had with electronic HVAC and it was useless, blowing randomly hot and cold air, aC sometimes working sometimes not, resulting in misty windows etc. I took it back under warranty and Ford reprogrammed it, which improved it slightly but, nowhere near as good as the old knobs, cables and flaps systems of old.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom