MG5 Long Range - real range ?

dickmorrell

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I am on my second EV and an owner of an MG5 Long Range since September. I have a home chargepoint and have clocked up 4000 miles since September.

I am concerned that even driven at a very sensible pace (say 61mph on adaptive cruise control) and with Kers Mode 2 engaged with no aircon on and being really really aware of road conditions and being an experienced EV driver that the charge NEVER goes above 203 available miles.

I love the car, think it's fantastic for the money but even discounting colder weather I've never seen anywhere near the 250 mile range in the battery, 201/203 being the MOST ever indicated. That includes balancing the batteries.

Anyone else seeing this ?

Here was mine from summer driving. SR MG5…

1CC02C45-B62B-4AF4-9EFC-1E4781631829.jpeg

Still had 20% SOC after the journey.mixture of B-Roads, A-Roads and city driving.

I did recently test drive the long-range version for a few days and that would easily do 270 miles even in 6DegC ambient.

Never ever ever ever ever had this. I am starting to think I've NOT got a Long Range yet have paid for one.

Here's right now 100% charge showing 190 miles - ambient temperature 11 degrees

This is my norm

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_115447211.jpg
    IMG_20220307_115447211.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 322
3.29 sounds pretty normal for this time of year.
It does but it does not explain why the maximum battery charge to range I've ever seen on an LR model is 203 - what do folk with the normal non range MG5 see ?

My SR MG5, normally shows 213 after a full charge. In daily use I tend to get 2 miles per percent. I've never driven it to empty, but going by percentages it would cover 180 miles in winter, more in summer. I've had it a year and done 6000 miles, with some long trips.

You are achieving 3.29 miles/kWh, it has a 61.1 kWh battery, so that works out at 201.02 mile range which makes your figures in your 1st post sensible. (3.29 x 61.1)

As you know, it will improve with the weather.

I have the SR and the GOM shows around 200mile range on full charge. I’ve only had the car since end of October so not had a chance to drive in warmer weather. I get around 3kwh as an average (2.8-3.2 as a range), but I drive with heating and air conditioning on all the time and I have a heavy right foot! Plus I only do mainly short trips.
My only thought is if you are resetting the trip computer after the charge as that can increase the GOM range?

Never ever ever ever ever had this. I am starting to think I've NOT got a Long Range yet have paid for one.
Put it on a RAPID Charger. If it stops charging at 95% SOC then it’s the LR version.

Rapid charger (Geniepoint) stops at 100% as does BP Pulse l, as does Instavolt
That is odd. I borrowed the LR version for a few days and it always stopped at 95% SOC. I spoke to the dealer about it and MG told them it was a “feature” of charging the LR battery to protect it. Further investigation needed I think.

Maybe take the car to a Rapid and from known percentage fill the car up. The charger will tell you how many kWh it has put in. Allow about 10% for losses and get a figure for what the battery can take.

@Alb did ask what the Avg miles/kWh you are seeing?

Edit…

Just noticed you mentioned 3.29 miles/kWh. That would put the range you are getting about right. Around 58kW useable would give 190 miles range. When summer comes you will see a good improvement on that figure and probably get around 4 miles/kWh. Happier days ahead :)

Last edited:
At 3.29 miles/kWh given that the usable battery is a little less than 61.1 kWh, 190 miles is about right.

I'm getting about 3.1 miles/kWh but I do lots of short journeys in stop start traffic.

Come the warmer weather you should get over 4 miles/kWh. Last summer in the same traffic I was getting in the region of 4.1.

Check your front bumper, if your MG has this circled device (whatever that is) then it's definitely LR.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
That is the radar sensor for Active Cruise Control.

The new Long(er) Range MG5 has MG Pilot.

Check your front bumper, if you have this circled device (whatever that is) then you have definitely LR.
or look for the blue accent on the indicator (MG Pilot lane assist button) as thats only on the LR

does sound to me like its the LR but the GOM has just adjusted to colder weather and therefore "averaging" across these months rather than warmer weathers
on the dash if you press down a couple of times (on the stearing wheel controls) you'll see the average m/KWH (not the single trip, the average since reset) that its using for its calculations

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom