MG5 LR - Multiple system faults

charles

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All

I seem to have developed multiple system faults on my MG5 yesterday..... took it for a drive and everything was working normally, left it for a bout 1 hour and when I went to drive home I had the following...

ACC System Unavailable
Auto Emergency Braking System Unavailable
Forward Collision System Unavailable
System Fault
Rear Parking Camera not working
Infotainment system no response (and of course silent indicators)

Had any one else seen this and is there a simple reboot fix, or is this a dealer visit?

(Photos also attached)

I should say, albeit with a warning on the dash, it then drove perfectly well!!! Oh and all errors still there this morning!

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks as always

Charles

Attachments

• 2022-04-20 17.52.18.jpg
    2022-04-20 17.52.18.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 2022-04-20 17.52.23.jpg
    2022-04-20 17.52.23.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 2022-04-20 17.52.28.jpg
    2022-04-20 17.52.28.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 2022-04-20 17.52.33.jpg
    2022-04-20 17.52.33.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 114
Check your 12v battery.

When I've used my magic 10mm spanner to disconnect the 12v battery, when the power comes back on you get these errors so maybe it's a dodgy 12v battery?

I had it after disconnecting the 12v battery to change the light bulbs. The warnings pinged up when I went to drive it but all cleared after about 20 meters of driving

I would definitely do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery leads, hold them together (whilst off the battery) for 15 seconds to drain any capacitors, then reconnect after 5 minutes 👍

OK, thanks both. I'll give it a go.... I'm assuming just disconnect, leave disconnected for 30 seconds and then connect back up?

I would definitely do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery leads, hold them together (whilst off the battery) for 15 seconds to drain any capacitors, then reconnect after 5 minutes 👍

Disconnecting the battery would be where I'd start as my previous car would also throw spurious errors which were often often fixed by doing so. Repetitive problems used to be taken to indicate a faulty/dying battery.

I am not known for being overly cautious, or conscious on safety or rules etc however, personally, I'm not sure I'd let the wires touch - I know I've read it here before but has it been done by anyone without problem? I'm thinking mainly of damage to car internals but I know some capacitors hold quite a large charge which presumably could injure you if done wrongly.

With most electrics they just recommend you leave them unplugged for a few minutes to allow capacitors to drain.

EDIT: Having now read around on the internet I accept that this is a tried and tested method. I add this comment rather than deleting the post to allay anyone else's concern over doing so. Just google for "touching car battery terminals together"

Last edited:
Hi All - quick update on this.... At the same time as posting here this morning I also emailed the dealer - Well to their credit they collected the car today and have just emailed me to say it's fixed... So... good service but what did they do... Well all I know is they did a 'BCM (Body Module Control?) disconnect and re-configuration'..... Translated to English I believe this probably means... They disconnected the battery and re-connected it... LOL.

Anyway - hopefully it's all good now. I just wanted to say thank you to all who posted replies here so quickly earlier today.

Charles

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom