• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 LR not accepting charge ? Why

SQU

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all
Ive just posted this on the gridserve thread too apologies for duplication but think prob best to have new thread
Please advise if u think this is a software rather than charger issue?

I had a major issue last Thursday trying to rapid charge my MG5 LR. At chargeplace Scotland CCS 50kw DCcharger, had unfortunately had to run down to 12% on battery the night before ( dont have charger at home yet)
Tried 3 different chargers in same location , other EVs successful meanwhile.
Also tried AC charging at same location with no success;
Phoned AA as was not going to be able to go anywhere
and they came , connected tablet to my MG; couldnt”read” the diagnostics but reset something
Mead able to the charge AC ( 7kw/hr) but even after up to 30% and then 70 % ( after charging to 100-% and driving down to 75%) was still unable to Rapid charge using DC 50KW charger

Was able to accept charge from a commercial charger ( swarco) but am a bit stuck as most DC chargers available in Glasgow are the similar chargeplace Scotland ones. Am thinking the low battery status at 12% may have caused an issue with the MG software
Am taking to Arnold Clark tomorrow

It’s relatively new 6000 miles 22 plate
Any ideas/ suggestions very welcome.

Otherwise have loved driving this, no issues to date
And plug was definitely plugged in, havent always needed to lock doors etc when charging previously

Hi all
Ive just posted this on the gridserve thread too apologies for duplication but think prob best to have new thread

I had a major issue last Thursday trying to rapid charge my MG5 LR. At chargeplace Scotland CCS 50kw DCcharger, had unfortunately had to run down to 12% on battery the night before ( dont have charger at home yet)
and they came , connected tablet to my MG; couldnt”read” the diagnostics but reset something
Mead able to the charge AC ( 7kw/hr) but even after up to 30% and then 70 % ( after charging to 100-% and driving down to 75%) was still unable to Rapid charge using DC 50KW charger

Was able to accept charge from a commercial charger ( swarco) but am a bit stuck as most DC chargers available in Glasgow are the similar chargeplace Scotland ones. Am thinking the low battery status at 12% may have caused an issue with the MG software

And plug was definitely plugged in, havent always needed to lock doors etc when charging previously
I have had random issues trying again after a failed dc charge. I have found the for my local cps 50kw that it will start first time every time with the following: scan rfid card and wait for it to authenticate, plug in ccs, lock car and listen for cable lock, press start on machine, immediately lift plug handle so the top of the plug is firmly pushed in, wait for charge to start, then let go of the plug handle. It is only necessary some of the time on some machines but I just tend to do it every time as it only takes about 30 seconds for the charge to start. It has mainly been cps rapids that have given me problems.
The fastned chargers at Hamilton Palace grounds on the otherhand are really easy to use, I managed to get 93kw up to 35% when I preheated the battery. And even when I went on a bankholiday there was hardly anyone else there.

Thanks aled
I will try that sequence and see if any success
Does that mean you are not able to unlock and sit in your car while charging??
Or once it’s charging can u unlock & get in??

You can unlock once the charge has started and get in. It's just different for the 30 seconds after pressing start on the charger.

Ok thanks
Good to know
Don’t fancy having to wait in the rain; Glasgow can be very wet …

Will keep Hamilton in mind, just not v handy , I’m in west end
Need to get a home charger soon

At chargeplace Scotland CCS 50kw DCcharger, had unfortunately had to run down to 12% on battery the night before ( dont have charger at home yet)

Which type did you go to? Some of the older Chargeplace Scotland chargers will not charge MG5s
The ones that look a bit like phone boxes are the older type. The newer ones are more slab shaped and blue/white in colour.

Example of the older type
olderccs.jpg

Which type did you go to? Some of the older Chargeplace Scotland chargers will not charge MG5s
The ones that look a bit like phone boxes are the older type. The newer ones are more slab shaped and blue/white in colour.

Example of the older type
View attachment 12757
That's the type I use regularly and always have to hold the plug up to get it to start.

Hi all

A 3.5kw 13amp charger came with my car slow yes but allows me to keep enshure charge never get tooooo low

I have also had to footer around with these. Seemed that having the car locked made a difference. Though could unlock the car once the CCS cable was locked in the car and charging. Though tried several minor changes in process - so this may not be the definitive trick.

Hello again
So after the AA cane and attached their tablet gizmo, reset something I was able to charge again but only using an AC charger.
Recall I only had11% left so I waited , charged to 30% and tried rapid charge again; still unsuccessful but not system fault agai. So i left it for several hours ( took public transport to work) and it was 100% charged; thereby making sure it was “balanced”
I then took it to Arnold Clark ( MG dealer) where i’d bought it and explained id had aSystem fault/ HV battery problem after trying a rapid 50ccs charger ( blue white slab type) .
Their initial response was to try another charger ( newer 50kw CCS) which worked beautifully.
Hey presto; no problems! “Just avoid those chargers in future as they are not very reliable”
I had to clearly explain that this didn’t reassure me and I did not think it was reasonable to avoid a whole type of charger on this basis.
I asked for diagnostics;( AA had issued me with a form saying I wouldnt be covered for a similar fault if I didnt get it checked out)

which they did and was told they could see there had been “failed charging” but that everything looked ok otherwise.

I’ve sonce been able to rapid charge and 7kw charge for the last couple of weeks and have avoided the chargers that glitched .

Hello again
So after the AA cane and attached their tablet gizmo, reset something I was able to charge again but only using an AC charger.
Recall I only had11% left so I waited , charged to 30% and tried rapid charge again; still unsuccessful but not system fault agai. So i left it for several hours ( took public transport to work) and it was 100% charged; thereby making sure it was “balanced”
I then took it to Arnold Clark ( MG dealer) where i’d bought it and explained id had aSystem fault/ HV battery problem after trying a rapid 50ccs charger ( blue white slab type) .
Their initial response was to try another charger ( newer 50kw CCS) which worked beautifully.
Hey presto; no problems! “Just avoid those chargers in future as they are not very reliable”
I had to clearly explain that this didn’t reassure me and I did not think it was reasonable to avoid a whole type of charger on this basis.
I asked for diagnostics;( AA had issued me with a form saying I wouldnt be covered for a similar fault if I didnt get it checked out)

which they did and was told they could see there had been “failed charging” but that everything looked ok otherwise.

I’ve sonce been able to rapid charge and 7kw charge for the last couple of weeks and have avoided the chargers that glitched .
This is my understanding of the problem based on my experiences and what I remember of the ccs protocols.
When you start a ccs charge the car and charger communicate on 2 pins in the type 2 bit and check the connection om a third pin in the type 2 bit. the problem seems to be for a few types of machine, the plug is slightly loose so the communication pins are not well connected. When the car and charger communicate for 30 seconds prior to the charger supplying power there is too much noise leading to the car and charger essentially getting some random messages which can screw with them. I think mg and some charger types have not sufficiently protected them from random messages which can lead to all sorts of problems mostly fixable by just resetting them in various ways and waiting for errors to time out.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom