MG5 LR rear screen heater not demisting completely

johnd973

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Anybody experience a problem with the rear screen heater not demisting the lower 2-3 inches of the rear screen (as in the attached picture)?

Called my local dealer who implied this was 'by design' but frankly I don't believe them given there are clearly heating elements in the area. Wondering whether I should arrange for the dealer I bought it from to take a look as the car is only 3 months old and the local dealer are awful but that would mean a 200 mile round trip!

The misted area may only seem small but it does cut out a surprising amount of visibility!

IMG20220108095147.jpg

As above but rest assured you are by no means the first person to ask this question :)

As Ian says, it's the DAB Antenna. It's a cunning design that the part where the wiper parks doesn't defrost!!
Seems a crazy design option - I'm sure I've had a car where the wires went out their way to ensure the wiper was defrosted. Although, that might have been a Volvo 🤔

My current vans don't have rear windows so I don't think it will worry me.
Don't get me started on people that moan about the centre headrest in the way. Do you ask passengers to put there heads in there laps 😄

My current vans don't have rear windows so I don't think it will worry me.
Don't get me started on people that moan about the centre headrest in the way. Do you ask passengers to put there heads in there laps 😄
The rear cup holders don't need a headrest, so it's gone. :)

Mine is exactly the same and waiting for the dealer to take a look at it as I thought it was faulty but glad to read that its the aerial....clearly something the dealer doesn't know.

Anyone have an issue with their DAB radio cutting out when you turn on the rear demister.?
no - but seen complaints about it cutting out when a rear dashcam is installed. maybe the signal is on the boundary of being poor in your area and the demister creates just enough interference to push it over?

Well, that's one thing less to mention to the dealer during my 1 year service - it was on my list already. I was also quite annoyed, i thought if three "lines" of demister don't work after 3 months, then i don't see the rest lasting. Not even mention kerfuffling of changing the rear screen...

Shirley, an RF choke on each end of the demister would mean the whole thing could be used as both demister and antenna. I'm sure this has been done before. Just can't recall where.

I’m sure my dad’s Focus in the late 90s/ early 00s had the radio antenna in the rear windscreen and I don’t remember that only clearing the mist so far. Although it wasn’t a DAB if that makes any difference.
On a car that steams up like these seem to we need all the help we can get to clear the windows! 😂

MK2 Freelanders had demisters in the rear side windows, more than one person complained that they didn't work;)

Unlikely that FM would use demister aerials, they need a vertical antenna

Anybody experience a problem with the rear screen heater not demisting the lower 2-3 inches of the rear screen (as in the attached picture)?

Called my local dealer who implied this was 'by design' but frankly I don't believe them given there are clearly heating elements in the area. Wondering whether I should arrange for the dealer I bought it from to take a look as the car is only 3 months old and the local dealer are awful but that would mean a 200 mile round trip!

The misted area may only seem small but it does cut out a surprising amount of visibility!

View attachment 6246
My MG5 SW is exactly the same and if you follow the copper wires down a small piece is missing to the bottom half of the element therefore the circuit is not complete.
I will be going to my dealership soon for the kers upgrade / callback so will mention it to them.

View attachment 6246
My MG5 SW is exactly the same and if you follow the copper wires down a small piece is missing to the bottom half of the element therefore the circuit is not complete.
I will be going to my dealership soon for the kers upgrade / callback so will mention it to them

Unlikely that FM would use demister aerials, they need a vertical antenna
Just checked and my dates were out, was the Mk3 Focus from early 10s (my dad drove a lot of Fords) and it had two aerials, one on the roof and a second in the rear window as a signal booster

I will be going to my dealership soon for the kers upgrade / callback so will mention it to them.
As at least three people have said in response to the first post), the bottom elements are the aerial not the heated rear window.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom