I have problems charging my mg5 over night on octopus go using an easse charger it starts at 7.5kWh but drops to about 4kWh after a very short time, just had updated software, mg say there is no problem with the car and easse say there is no problem with the charger! Here is a graph of my charging rate, can anyone out there help?
Screenshot_20230720-112128.jpg

I have problems charging my mg5 over night on octopus go using an easse charger it starts at 7.5kWh but drops to about 4kWh after a very short time, just had updated software, mg say there is no problem with the car and easse say there is no problem with the charger! Here is a graph of my charging rate, can anyone out there help?View attachment 19213
Hi, you have posted in the Marvel R section not mg5.
Anyway does it work ok on a DC rapid charger and have you tried it on another AC type2 EVSE unit?

Do you have other loads that are timed to run around midnight? Has your easee charger been set to limit the maximum current draw from mains? (this may have been set too low or other loads are exceeding the setting).

If it was me I'd try using a public fast charger and see how that performs. If it works OK your home charger's the problem, if it doesn't the car's the problem.

It might get worse before it gets better. Fremantle Highway caught fire out to sea yesterday and they are already blaming one of the EVs for it.

Reuters news link
In the news link you provided it said the cause of the fire is unknown, it was near one of the 25 EV's onboard. Its ridiculous how people straight away assume it's an EV that caused the fire. Consider the bulk of the cargo was ICE cars, the contents of the fuel tanks, vapour in a sealed hold would suggest to me a far more likely cause of a serious fire.

Hi Edd as point out above you have posted this in the wrong section of the forum so to help yourself and others to help you I would suggest you move it to the MG5 thread
Les

In the news link you provided it said the cause of the fire is unknown, it was near one of the 25 EV's onboard. Its ridiculous how people straight away assume it's an EV that caused the fire. Consider the bulk of the cargo was ICE cars, the contents of the fuel tanks, vapour in a sealed hold would suggest to me a far more likely cause of a serious fire.
The newspapers blaming EVs are behind paywalls, even if the EV didn't start it if they will provide a massive load to the fire.

Also reading between the liners, if they weren't blaming EV's they would have even mentioned there was an EV nearby!

The newspapers blaming EVs are behind paywalls, even if the EV didn't start it if they will provide a massive load to the fire.

Also reading between the liners, if they weren't blaming EV's they would have even mentioned there was an EV nearby!
Why let truth get in the way of a good story eh?

Interesting that Brittany Ferries always ask if the vehicle is an EV, which I thought would be blindingly obvious from the Reg No if they looked it up when one booked. Not sure what they do with the information and whether they segregate/separate EVs in any way on board.
What happens on the channel tunnel crossing?

I am going out to France in about 3 weeks and will let you know. I am also going to the Isle of Wight a week later; the last time I went there was no separate treatment for EVs.

Interesting that Brittany Ferries always ask if the vehicle is an EV, which I thought would be blindingly obvious from the Reg No if they looked it up when one booked. Not sure what they do with the information and whether they segregate/separate EVs in any way on board.
What happens on the channel tunnel crossing?
We are booked on the chunnel with our MG5. Didn't affect price, but may impact where they load us on the train I suppose?

We have recently travelled with Brittany Ferries, Portsmouth - Caen and return, on the outward trip all EVs were marshalled in the same lane and boarded first, resulting in being offloaded first! On the return trip although we were given a large EV sticker on the windscreen, we were loaded amongst all other cars in arrival order, on the upper deck which meant we were almost last off. No reason given for labelling EVs, no special treatment.

I think the reason for the EV label you had may have been just in case there might have been a problem on the crossing example if a fire broke out not necessarily in an EV, EVs do need different treatment.so a large sticker or label would mark that out to the crew.
Les

We are booked on the chunnel with our MG5. Didn't affect price, but may impact where they load us on the train I suppose?
I've been to France and back on Eurotunnel with my MG5 many times. They just load you on like any other car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom