MG5 - No airbag deactivation switch

Justin H

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,
Just collected my new MG5 the other day. I looked in all the usual places for the 'advertised' front passenger airbag deactivation switch but without any luck. The manual didnt mention it either. An email from MG customer services has just confirmed that there isnt a switch. However all four versions of the car currently state they have one on the MG website.
Obviously I have read about the roof rails saga but what else is advertised that doesn't actually exist?

That’s interesting. I’m no expert but I though all cars had it for when a child seat is in operation?

Haven’t found one. The manual just states (very regularly) that child seats shouldn’t be placed on the front seat. Must confess I’ve never used the deactivation switch on any car I’ve had as I always put the kids in the back. Seems strange not to fit one, but then I always thought the idea of them was odd in itself as I would never trust myself to remember to reactivate it.

The manual just states that a rearward facing child seat should not be put on the front seat with an active airbag. It doesn't discuss deactivating it. But if you Google it all dealerships state it has one. Even with the recently introduced long range model it would seem that MG have not checked their website correctly. It doesn't really bother me but it has always been a big thing for my wife. Luckily I bought her a Renault Zoe.
It just annoys me that even after the roof rails fiasco they still are advertising false information.

Last edited:
overloaded-vehicles-china-10%25255B6%25255D.jpg

Why would mg think of adding a deactivation switch when Chinese drivers do the above.

It's switched off through the infotainment screen IIRC.

overloaded-vehicles-china-10%25255B6%25255D.jpg

Why would mg think of adding a deactivation switch when Chinese drivers do the above.
Because they put it in the glove box of the MG ZS. Anyway is this how they tested the roof rails? 🤣

Last edited:
MG have just confirmed in writing that it cannot be deactivated. But if you have found a way please explain how to do it.
Looks like I haven't remembered correctly :(
I did read through such a procedure very recently but it must have been for another car entirely because I don't see it in the MG5 menu.

A lot of airbags there. :unsure:
But none that can be deactivated. I have sent a reply to MG asking why the website states that all versions have a deactivation switch. I don't expect a response, but I do expect the website information will mysteriously change in the future.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but

The ZS EV has a disable function.
View attachment 4261
Yes I downloaded the same manual to check where MG would locate one. A lot of manufacturers put them on the end of the dashboard. For such an easy switch to install I really can't see how they have saved money by not installing one.

It mentions in the manual:
"If you choose to install a child restraint on
the front passenger seat, move the front
passenger seat as far rearward as possible."

It mentions in the manual:
"If you choose to install a child restraint on
the front passenger seat, move the front
passenger seat as far rearward as possible."
Yes you always do that anyway. But for children up to the age of 12/13 (height dependant) you would have to deactivate the airbag as it would smother them. Luckily my wife's Renault Zoe has this function but if there are any safety points that people depend on I would have the salesman prove the function exists before buying. Don't trust the information on the MG website as some of it would appear incorrect.

Clearly, MG UK has communication gaps with MG HQ in China. To have errors in car specifications is a big mistake and to repeat it in the long-range model after the roof rail fiasco is unpardonable. A good car gets bad publicity because MG UK keeps repeating the mistakes.

I agree. To still have incorrect sales information which dealerships are repeating is just not good enough. Especially when it involves safety systems that will form the criteria on which people potentially buy them, only then to find they have been mis-sold a car. That is why I recommend the sales person physically shows you that things actually do exist. The sales person may get a shock.

Last edited:
You can't disable the passenger airbag in a 2012 ford KA so it's no just MG.

Yes i know that was 9 years ago but i'm betting there are more who still do it.

ps. Just googled it was the same for all 2009-2016 models.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom