MG5 ownership a few weeks in, car quirks/issues

SimonMG5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We picked up an ex demo, facelift MG 5 a few weeks back. Generally very happy and just completed our first holiday from Oxford to Devon with Kids so first experiences of longer journey's which generally was fine.

- Android Auto, connection to this seems quite glitchy. Sometimes fine, other times doesn't recognise a phone. Got good quality usb and even got a wireless device.

- we had 1 issue on a fast charger with it not connecting, turned out we had a bit of water in the ports, not sure how that got there.

- car doesn't seem to remember any settings; drive mode, Kers, auto handbrake?

- sometimes doesn't play radio if previously been playing something via phone. Have to reset the console

- Dabs radio. Should this show the radio station image you sometimes get on radios. There is a small icon which looks like a jpg icon, if you press that it changes to a broadcast symbol, doesn't seem to make any difference so not sure what this does?

- we are on octopus intelligent and very happy with how that works with the ohme charger with scheduling

This website has been a great resource

Simon

Car will always come on in Normal and Kers2.
I set the * button on the steering wheel as the Home button, it helps resetting the radio station after using USB.

We picked up an ex demo, facelift MG 5 a few weeks back. Generally very happy and just completed our first holiday from Oxford to Devon with Kids so first experiences of longer journey's which generally was fine.

- Android Auto, connection to this seems quite glitchy. Sometimes fine, other times doesn't recognise a phone. Got good quality usb and even got a wireless device.

- we had 1 issue on a fast charger with it not connecting, turned out we had a bit of water in the ports, not sure how that got there.

- sometimes doesn't play radio if previously been playing something via phone. Have to reset the console

- Dabs radio. Should this show the radio station image you sometimes get on radios. There is a small icon which looks like a jpg icon, if you press that it changes to a broadcast symbol, doesn't seem to make any difference so not sure what this does?

- we are on octopus intelligent and very happy with how that works with the ohme charger with scheduling

Simon
My experience with android auto is to just keep trying different cables until you find one that is reliable. I tried 5 or 6 before I found my current one and now it works reliably.

Simon
Was going to suggest checking the port on the phone side isn't full of pocket/bag fluff but I'd not expect that issue to affect the wireless adaptor (That said some of those can be quite hit and miss).

I think the lightning port on the older iphones is more prone to getting full of fluff/crud than the USB ports on various android device but it's still worth checking.

Worth noting some of the wireless adaptors show up as an iphone/carplay on the car side regardless of what's going on with the phone side so you may need to hit the carplay icon instead of the android auto one if they're seperate (They're seperate icons on the pre-facelift 5)

Simon

Water in the charging port is not an issue, more likely a comms error between your car and the charger. Rule of thumb, the older the charger is the less likely it will work with your MG5.

Android auto, I use a wireless adaptor, it can sometimes take a few attempts to connect but generally once working, it's fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom