MG5 plug & auto charge

EVsince2016

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I thought I'd share some information that I have learnt about auto-charge.

Auto-charge is where you just plug in your car and the car communicates with the charger and charges with no other actions required.

Most are probably aware that Tesla uses auto-charging as standard for their charging network with app control in built into the infotainment screen to manage charging.

MG5 owners have probably been told that the MG5 is not auto-charge compatible, but it is in part!

I have been using @Zunder on auto-charge for over 2 years without an issue. Yesterday James at Cleevely posted about using his MG5 on FastNed using auto-charge: -

1702025875710.png

I have also been told the MG5 is compatible with Powerdot too. There maybe other networks.

So I emailed Octopus Electroverse to ask why they do not allow the MG5 and got this answer: -

Sadly it seems Zunder have replicated how Fastned and Tesla do theirs which is a closed system and not publically accessible/ shared for 3rd parties to engage with. Confusingly they've named it in the same way, but in this situation as Zunder (and the other 2) are operators in their own right, they can see the information of which EV is plugged in (from what you enter) to then just initiate the charge as they know which account to bill to.

In the Plug & Charge approach that is an open "protocol"; as they call it, the car manufacturer installs a certificate on the EV which can then be shared with us for billing but also the operator knows where to charge the session too. This requires both the charging operators and EV manufacturers to engage with the process and so far its been slow to get these 2 moving with it.

So it seems that you can auto-charge the MG5 but have to sign up directly with the charge provider. I have done @Zunder and will try FastNed & Powerdot next!

Anyone else succeeded in doing this?

They're possibly different protocols, the proper plug and charge protocol uses certificates to authenticate the car that's plugging in.

Some of the networks use a less secure method such as binding the MAC address of the vehicles communications controller, this is a lot easier to spoof.

I thought I'd share some information that I have learnt about auto-charge.

Auto-charge is where you just plug in your car and the car communicates with the charger and charges with no other actions required.

Most are probably aware that Tesla uses auto-charging as standard for their charging network with app control in built into the infotainment screen to manage charging.

MG5 owners have probably been told that the MG5 is not auto-charge compatible, but it is in part!

I have been using @Zunder on auto-charge for over 2 years without an issue. Yesterday James at Cleevely posted about using his MG5 on FastNed using auto-charge: -

View attachment 22089

I have also been told the MG5 is compatible with Powerdot too. There maybe other networks.

So I emailed Octopus Electroverse to ask why they do not allow the MG5 and got this answer: -

So it seems that you can auto-charge the MG5 but have to sign up directly with the charge provider. I have done @Zunder and will try FastNed & Powerdot next!

Anyone else succeeded in doing this?

Hi, I successfully use Autocharge from Fastned on my MG5 SE 23 plate. Once set up on the app you have to first do a manual charge with them but after that all charges are automatic. I used the site at Woodbridge on A12 near Ipswich. Great location with cover and toilets but no refreshments. Its also an Ipswich park and ride location. Faultless autocharge operation so far.👴

I just charged my brand new MG5 at Gridserve Moto station in Exeter and was able to auto charge. I sat in the car while it charged and all seemed to be quite straightforward and work ok

I just charged my brand new MG5 at Gridserve Moto station in Exeter and was able to auto charge. I sat in the car while it charged and all seemed to be quite straightforward and work ok
Tell us more please.

Just went out on a trip to do some shopping & accidently diverted to a Fastned station. Plugged in, activated charge, agree to auto charge. Unplugged, plugged in again and it auto charged in 26 seconds!

Only anomaly is that you have to lock the car to start.

So now I have 2 providers to auto-charge / plug & charge with. Zunder is still easier!

What is the difference between Autocharge and Plug & Charge?

While Autocharge offers the same customer-friendly, seamless user experience as Plug & Charge, another EV industry approach to simplifying the charging experience, the underlying technologies are different. Plug & Charge uses the ISO 15118 protocol specifications, digital signatures, and public key infrastructures to secure communications between the vehicle and the charging infrastructure. While this approach offers more stringent security, it is far more complex, costly, and time consuming to implement. It also requires vehicle and charger manufacturers to support ISO 15118.

Autocharge just required the mac code.

Tell us more please.
Hi, not sure what else I can add. I just pulled up to the charger, plugged it into the car, tapped my card on the card reader. It then said it was communicating with the car and started charging. I then sat on the car for half hour or so reading while it did its thing :)

Now at a PodPoint in Lidl and just the same experience (albeit having to pay through an app).

Hi, not sure what else I can add. I just pulled up to the charger, plugged it into the car, tapped my card on the card reader. It then said it was communicating with the car and started charging. I then sat on the car for half hour or so reading while it did its thing :)

Now at a PodPoint in Lidl and just the same experience (albeit having to pay through an app).

I think that is different to auto charge as you are using an RFID card or app and not just plugging in and letting the car talk to the CCS charger to start the charge.

So not 'auto charge' at all then.
My apologies, so with this ‘auto charge’ then, how do you pay? I was reading the thread as though auto charge meant you just plug the car into the charge point and it automatically communicates and starts the charge, rather than having to faff with settings on the car. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

My apologies, so with this ‘auto charge’ then, how do you pay? I was reading the thread as though auto charge meant you just plug the car into the charge point and it automatically communicates and starts the charge, rather than having to faff with settings on the car. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
You have already set your payment details in the app. You plug in, it recognises your car/id, it charges, it takes your payment.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom