MG5 Pre Heating Defrosting

Mr C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Is this something that can be set up automatically so that the car defrosts itself and is warm ready for use for a planned journey?

I plan to charge overnight giving me enough commuting range ready to start by 6am. I've not see anything about automated preconditioning of the vehicle prior to use.

The previous method was going out to the car, turning the engine on for 5/10 minutes, leaving it running going back in the house while the car warms up, before 6am probably annoys the neighbour's.

What's the best routine with the new car? Unfortunately retirement and getting up later isn't an option.

Is this something that can be set up automatically so that the car defrosts itself and is warm ready for use for a planned journey?

I plan to charge overnight giving me enough commuting range ready to start by 6am. I've not see anything about automated preconditioning of the vehicle prior to use.

The previous method was going out to the car, turning the engine on for 5/10 minutes, leaving it running going back in the house while the car warms up, before 6am probably annoys the neighbour's.

What's the best routine with the new car? Unfortunately retirement and getting up later isn't an option.
I haven't seen an option anywhere and there's no associated app.

My wife's Zoe can do it via the Renault app.

Thanks for replying, trying to understand what the new routine will look like, I don't know if you can turn the heating on while the car is plugged in and do it that way without draining the battery, if you can program the car to be charged by a certain time could the car also be programmed to precondition for a certain time all while being plugged in.

I don't think you can pre-heat - not seen anything in the manual about this.I don't think the car will charge while unlocked either...

Hi Mark, like yourself I have an early start and a long journey. When ice has built up I go out to the car turn the heating on max and the heated seats. By the time I have my laptop and locked the door most of the ice is gone and the heats are warm. I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly ice is cleared from the car. No noise apart from the doors. Last time I did it with the cable plugged in but don't think it was charging

Hi Mark, like yourself I have an early start and a long journey. When ice has built up I go out to the car turn the heating on max and the heated seats. By the time I have my laptop and locked the door most of the ice is gone and the heats are warm. I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly ice is cleared from the car. No noise apart from the doors. Last time I did it with the cable plugged in but don't think it was charging
Thanks for the response, maybe a suggested topic for discussion on the podcast, could it be something as easy as an MG vehicle software update in future so you can set the vehicle to automatic acclimate, the technology is available, I would like to see this capability but again thank you for explaining.

Thanks for the response, maybe a suggested topic for discussion on the podcast, could it be something as easy as an MG vehicle software update in future so you can set the vehicle to automatic acclimate, the technology is available, I would like to see this capability but again thank you for explaining.
ZS owners have wanted this since it was released too - very unlikely that MG will actually take any notice though.

Got to say I would have liked some of the more sophisticated functions but hey I didn't have the extra 15k so I'm quite happy to do what I've been doing for quite some time- stick the fan heater in the car, set Alexa for 15 minutes, have breakfast, hey presto.

Got to say I would have liked some of the more sophisticated functions but hey I didn't have the extra 15k so I'm quite happy to do what I've been doing for quite some time- stick the fan heater in the car, set Alexa for 15 minutes, have breakfast, hey presto.
Why would you do that when it’ll defrost and demist itself in a couple of minutes using the built in heater?

Or do what I do. Get in the car and shiver. My car is not kept near the house (flats), I would never consider running the engine to warm the car up (a cold car is better than a stolen car), and it doesn't have heated seat, steering wheel or mirrors. I dress for the occasion, and after a couple of miles, the heater starts to work, and a mile after that, I stop shivering.

Another major question for me is does it keep heating whilst plugged in to the 50kw charger. Having my family freezing their n*** off whilst waiting for 80% at one of the remote chargers inScotland isn't very appealing. Does anyone know if it will continue to charge whilst plugged in to a rapid charger? Thanks

Another major question for me is does it keep heating whilst plugged in to the 50kw charger. Having my family freezing their n*** off whilst waiting for 80% at one of the remote chargers inScotland isn't very appealing. Does anyone know if it will continue to charge whilst plugged in to a rapid charger? Thanks
From what I understand, you can use the heater on rapid DC chargers.

It's the slower AC fast chargers where you can't power the heater from the charger.

You absolutely can power the heater on AC power. When the car is charging and in 'ready' you can see the net power flow. When the heating is off the current shows at something like -15a. With the heating on, that drops to around -10a to -12a.

I find that my car won't "boot up" to READY when rapid charging. Do people leave the car in READY mode prior to rapid charging?

I find that my car won't "boot up" to READY when rapid charging. Do people leave the car in READY mode prior to rapid charging?
I've not needed to rapid charge yet, but that's slightly worrying. You definitely need to be able to use the heating and stereo.

On the ZS the hardware is absent for preheating so unless OVMS come through it won;t happen for existing models.

Ok, dumb question... But how do you set the car to ready mode and have the car charging when the car has to be locked to initiate the charge, and stops when you unlock?... Or do you have to plug in and then lock yourself in the car?? .... And do you have to set the car to ready mode before or after locking yourself in????

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom