MG5 PreFL Rapid Charge Shutdown

G1J

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

Had the dreaded System Fault today after rapid charging my MG5. Have never needed to rapid charge it before so came as a bit of a shock.

Luckily it was at Morrisons (so a quick breakfast while I waited) and then the AA came along and cleared code and away I went. It literally took him 60 seconds to do it. Paperwork took far longer.

My quick question is,

To avoid this can someone point me in the direction of an OBD II reader/scanner that I can use to do this myself. Happy to buy from AliExpress but there are millions to choose from. Would prefer one with its own screen/display rather than using my phone.

My second question is.

Is there an update to the software of the car that can help to prevent this in the future. If so what do I ask/tell the dealer when I take it in to get it sorted.

Any help is appreciated. Just trying to cover all bases to avoid the situation from arising again.

Hi

Had the dreaded System Fault today after rapid charging my MG5. Have never needed to rapid charge it before so came as a bit of a shock.

Luckily it was at Morrisons (so a quick breakfast while I waited) and then the AA came along and cleared code and away I went. It literally took him 60 seconds to do it. Paperwork took far longer.

My quick question is,

To avoid this can someone point me in the direction of an OBD II reader/scanner that I can use to do this myself. Happy to buy from AliExpress but there are millions to choose from. Would prefer one with its own screen/display rather than using my phone.

My second question is.

Is there an update to the software of the car that can help to prevent this in the future. If so what do I ask/tell the dealer when I take it in to get it sorted.

Any help is appreciated. Just trying to cover all bases to avoid the situation from arising again.
Morrisons = Geniepoint, everyone's favourite - NOT.

Can you tell us the process you followed at the end of charge that led to the error ? Not saying it was anything you did but as it was your first time it might be useful to check.

Also the charge level. Did it brick the car after exceeding 80%?

Hi

My quick question is,

My second question is.

I have not found an obd scanner that will do a clear all, I had the same issue and the AA guy fixed it the same way which led to me looking.
In my case is was an old charger that failed to start a charge and comms with the car got messed up so it threw a wobbly.

Never even managed to get any charge added at all. It didn't communicate properly with the charger to get it going and that was that.

Also, was below 80% at the time.

Shame about the lack of obd II scanner. I'd be happy to just clear the error myself rather than wait on the AA.

Should probably have added, it was first time rapid charging this car MG5. Have had a zs for about 3 years, never a charging issue with that one on any rapid chargers.

You are right about Morrisons and genie point. Perhaps one for me to just avoid.

Should probably have added, it was first time rapid charging this car MG5. Have had a zs for about 3 years, never a charging issue with that one on any rapid chargers.

You are right about Morrisons and genie point. Perhaps one for me to just avoid.

Don't be discouraged, I charge every day on rapid and rarely have any issues. Though your issue seems the same as mine when it happened, something went wrong with comms between the car and charger.

Never even managed to get any charge added at all. It didn't communicate properly with the charger to get it going and that was that.

Also, was below 80% at the time.

Shame about the lack of obd II scanner. I'd be happy to just clear the error myself rather than wait on the AA.

A 10mm spanner (To disconnect the 12v battery) may also work, it did for me last time my car got upset by a faulty A/C charger.

You will get a lot of warnings on the dash when you power back up though, they should clear once you drive off.

Haven't tried to see if I can do a clear codes, I did try to read them with car scanner, but it was taking it forever to scan though the ECU's, so I gave up and went for the 12V method in the end.

Last edited:
A 10MM spanner (To disconnect the 12v battery) may also work, it did for me last time my car got upset by a faulty A/C charger.

You will get a lot of warnings on the dash when you power back up though, they should clear once you drive off.

Haven't tried to see if I can do a clear codes, I did try to read them with car scanner, but it was taking it forever to scan though the ECU's, so I gave up and went for the 12V method in the end.
That also worked for me

Hi

My quick question is,

My second question is.

Hi. I had the same question on a thread here: Thread 'MG5 - OBD to reset HV battery issue' MG5 - OBD to reset HV battery issue

I got an a OBD device from Amazon that connects consistently and shows error codes, but haven't had the issue again. I'm actively trying to cause the lock down occasionally at a local fast charger so that I can be confident that the OBD reset works. The 12v disconnect did not work for me. Got a long road trip through France and Spain planned next spring so I want to get some reassurance (or buy another car).

Hi

My quick question is,

My second question is.

Morrisons?
Geniepoint?
Always have that fault with geniepoint

Mg5 long range.

I avoid geniepoint now
All day long... had a couple of e-mails from them recently... 10p off if you pay with zap map.

Having never managed to get a charge froma a Geniepoint charger, I'll give it a miss, thanks.

Was at Gridserve Rugby on way back from Yorkshire yesterday and had the HV disconnect for the first time. That was after trying to get the car charged on four separate chargers. Stuck there with the bonnet up, decided to try the 10mm spanner reset and luckily it worked. Tried a different charger again and still wouldn't connect. Gave up and drove to Banbury to the big Instavolt park which worked first time. Park needs more facilities though, one Costa coffee shop that closed two minutes after getting there. Bored for 50 minutes.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom