MG5 Range - lower??

Amar MG5EV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I cant seem to find anything on the forum. When I picked up the car around 5 months ago, on a full charge, my predicted Range was over 200. Suddenly, when now completing a full charge, I am receiving a predicted range of 178ish. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Hi Amar what Stuwit46 has said is dead right but don’t forget the range changes with your settings, so upon switching on the car will always be in N2, normal mode with regen 2 braking, if you change that to E Eco mode you could see any thing from 10 -18 miles more on the range depending on the state of charge, also you need to make sure everything is switched off when checking this as just having the heater on now it’s getting colder can reduce your range reading by 10 miles or more I’m sure Stuart will agree with me on this.
Now here’s a little tip if you have the exclusive model with the heated front seats switch them on doesn’t seem to affect the range much at all. so HVAC off seats on cosy, but you also need to switch off the re-cir switch or crack the window open a touch to help stop the windows misting up.
Les

Hi Amar what Stuwit46 has said is dead right but don’t forget the range changes with your settings, so upon switching on the car will always be in N2, normal mode with regen 2 braking, if you change that to E Eco mode you could see any thing from 10 -18 miles more on the range depending on the state of charge, also you need to make sure everything is switched off when checking this as just having the heater on now it’s getting colder can reduce your range reading by 10 miles or more I’m sure Stuart will agree with me on this.
Now here’s a little tip if you have the exclusive model with the heated front seats switch them on doesn’t seem to affect the range much at all. so HVAC off seats on cosy, but you also need to switch off the re-cir switch or crack the window open a touch to help stop the windows misting up.
Les
Excellent advice Les, I drive on Eco mode for longer journeys where I’m within 20/30 miles of the “guess o meter” GOM range. 😊

Think the GOM also works out predicted mileage based on your previous driving history. So, as an example, you had been doing a lot of 70mph driving, that would lower the estimate the car gives you.

Don't get too hung up on what the GOM says.
Winter driving will on average use more energy than Summer driving so treat that as a given.

That's not you 'range', just a guess based on various factors including temperature, driving mode, recent driving style, and HVAC settings. It's a pretty poor guess when you consider that it seems to make no difference whether the heating is on full blast, or you've just got it set to 'Lo'.

Your actual range will vary depending on how much energy you're actually using to cover the distance; it would vary from 0 (if your sitting still with the heating on) to somewhere close to 350 miles (if you drove at the optimal speed in optimal conditions with no use of ancillary equipment). The biggest factors are speed (air resistance increases at velocity squared so 70mph uses ~ 40% more energy than 50mph for the same distance) and temperature (colder air is denser, batteries are less efficient in the cold, heating uses energy).

Quite normal but 178 does seem a bit low, SWMBO was getting 212 in summer and it's only dropped to 204 , she uses the heater all the time, even in Summer.

Les
Great advice thank you Les 👌🏾

Les
Great advice thanks Les

Up to a couple of weeks ago. While the weather was still a bit warmer, I was getting down to about 35% in my 5SR and achieving about 240-250 miles (distance travelled plus GOM estimate of charge remaining). This past week or two, now it's a bit cooler, the figure is about 220. That's in Eco mode with heater, aircon etc all off.
Almost all the driving has been a mix of A roads. b roads and a few single track roads around North Norfolk.

Bleeding great tractors there are round here! They look even bigger coming at you down a country lane, bristling with sharp metal sticky out bits.

Up to a couple of weeks ago. While the weather was still a bit warmer, I was getting down to about 35% in my 5SR and achieving about 240-250 miles (distance travelled plus GOM estimate of charge remaining). This past week or two, now it's a bit cooler, the figure is about 220. That's in Eco mode with heater, aircon etc all off.
Almost all the driving has been a mix of A roads. b roads and a few single track roads around North Norfolk.

Bleeding great tractors there are round here! They look even bigger coming at you down a country lane, bristling with sharp metal sticky out bits.
I find the Norfolk A/B Roads the most economical driving. There's usually someone or other holding everyone down to a speed of 45-55 so there's usually someone in front to punch a hole in the air and lower speeds mean less wasted energy.

In the city, I find the stop/start far more wasteful. A good run with minimal changes in speed is always more economical. It's hard to quantify though because I do end up spending a fair amount of time sitting about with the heating on low, listening to the radio while I'm waiting for kids to finish classes etc.

Les

Spot on here. The heater really eats the amps up. Heated seats far less so. You can verify this by looking at the electrical status screen ( the one that shows volts and amps ). Best to try this out with the car stationary then you know the results are not being confused with driving power/regen.

Trouble is you can't regulate temperature with the seats.
D
Spot on here. The heater really eats the amps up. Heated seats far less so. You can verify this by looking at the electrical status screen ( the one that shows volts and amps ). Best to try this out with the car stationary then you know the results are not being confused with driving power/regen.
Didn't I read somewhere that the seats are heated via the 12v battery and the AC powered from the HV battery and therefore reduces your range ?

I think the benefit of the heated seats is that they use much less power, they're only about 40w, whereas the heating on is about 3000w. So you could have the seats on for 75 hours and use as much power as an hour of heating!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom