MG5 SR Headlights

I have the long range exclusive and it uses halogens. Not sure about the facelift model
Yes the new facelifted model is to come with LEDs.when ever it turns up on our shores.
Does the long range have led's?
If so you may be able to change the entire unit?- it's replacing halogen with led bulbs that's illegal not upgrading the whole unit.
Not a cheap option though.
I also found the headlights mediocre compared to other vehicles (non led) I have owned - good for the range though, you have to moderate your speed ;).
No johns. you would not be able to change the whole unit if you mean getting the LEDs lights from the uplifted version to fit them into the currant car, they are totally different in there shape from what can be seen in the pictures.

As you say speed at night needs to be moderated and I think that is true of driving most vehicles MG or not I think.
Les.

Does the long range have led's?
If so you may be able to change the entire unit?- it's replacing halogen with led bulbs that's illegal not upgrading the whole unit.
Not a cheap option though.
I also found the headlights mediocre compared to other vehicles (non led) I have owned - good for the range though, you have to moderate your speed ;).

Don't LED lights have to have auto washers?

Personally, I find the lights dim but not dangerous, I have come from LED lights in a Seat Leon which are worlds apart. They were especially good at reflecting off of the eyes of the deer that hide in the hedges ready to jump out on me! 95% of my drive has no street lights so I have bought Nightbreaker Lasers and when I find somewhere dry and bright that is not at work I'll swap them over.

I also realised on my first attempt to play with the light levelling I'd set them for a full load not normal driving, no wonder I was only illuminating 5 metres ahead of me!

Is it because they are using a single lamp for dipped and full beam? Aside from the yellow tinge I never had head light envy in my old Focus?

LED headlights are the work of the Devil 👿 as the beam angle is always to high!
I dive a full sized DAF XF tractor unit and those head lights make my life hell driving at night either coming towards me or in my mirrors ,
I HATE THEM !

... there are 2 options: replace with LED bulbs (it is illegal in UK, will fail an MOT, may affect insurance, but it is an option), or get a different car.

3rd option, replace with better halogen bulbs, slightly less dramatic than getting a different car. :)

Well I know if you go to Halfords can get halogens that give better light so better then original halogens and they fit them 😉

Have a look at this thread:

3rd option, replace with better halogen bulbs, slightly less dramatic than getting a different car. :)
Did you read my comment? I said the first thing to try is better halogens, and if they are still not good enough then 2 options are LEDs (illegal in a halogen unit in UK) or a different car.

I swapped my bulbs out for Osram Nightbreakers and they are better, not massively (also not ridiculously expensive) but I'm happy with them.

I swapped my bulbs out for Osram Nightbreakers and they are better, not massively (also not ridiculously expensive) but I'm happy with them.
Same. I'd still prefer better dipped lights, but they are better and a lot better than the units I used to have on a volvo v50

The MG5 headlights are no worse than my DAF XF ones and they’ve got 70w bulbs in .
Haven’t had time to fit the Osram ones yet but will update when I do

Hi
Just to throw another spanner in the works
When I picked my car up from new I found that the headlights weren’t set up properly one was facing up and the other down
I took it back to the dealership and they sorted it out
I have osram night breakers fitted and think they are better
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I think I'll pop to Halfords and get them to change my bulbs

I've read this afternoon on Osrams bulb blog that LED lights over 2000 lumens do require headlight washers but that is a 9 year old post and no idea if it is legally correct or hearsay put up as fact! The government websites are a nightmare to navigate so not sure I'll find out for sure!

I find the headlights poor as well. The problem is the 'beam' doesn't extend very far on unlit roads. It's as if the lights need adjusting up a notch. I have the adjustment in the car set to it's highest level. Any ideas for improvement appreciated (y)

Hi tommy if yours are on the high setting and you not happy I would get your dealer or even you local Mot station to check them on their beam checker but if adjustment is needed be sure to set the lights adjustment in the car to zero
Les
Agreed. Not only height but side to side adjustment of the beam horizontally makes a huge difference.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom