MG5 SR (pre-facelift) Exclusive vs MG5 LR Trophy

Cameron1983

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello all

As a brand new user of this forum, this is my first post and I was hoping to get some advice from other users who have owned these cars.

We're in the market for a new car and due to a complete engine failure on a fully serviced Honda Civic 2017 petrol at <39k miles (timing belt snapped, multiple valves bent, camshaft bent) we've been looking at EVs to avoid an ICE and are honing in on a MG5.

My main query is that there are MG5 SR Exclusive models as pre-reg (doesn't matter to us as we tend to keep cars) available for £20,995 cash with only 10 miles on them. Alternatively, the MG5 LR Trophy new model is available for a smidgen under £30k taking into account MG's current offer this month of £1k contribution towards a Trophy model, which actually makes it a couple hundred pounds cheaper than the SE.

Now, I know a lot of this decision is based on personal circumstances but we only do about 6-7k miles/year, and only do longer journeys of 200-250 miles perhaps twice a year. My main concern about the older model is the lack of safety electronics, rather than trim quality or touch screen quality (my current 14 year old BMW doesn't even have a screen, and most of the pixels on the stereo fade out in hot weather!!)

What are people's opinions/advice as to the two models? There's a big difference in price; we can afford the newer Trophy, but I also don't like throwing away £9k if it's mainly cosmetic differences.

Thanks in advance!

I can't comment on the difference between the two as I have only owned a pre-facelift, but you can be assured that the "safety electronics" are probably way more advanced than your previous older cars.

I suppose I'd add that I rarely need to do more than the range of my car (which happens to be a Long Range Exclusive) but I would always expect to have to public charge on longer trips as there is some anxiety (on my partner's part at least!!) if range is below 30 miles or thereabouts. And more so if you aren't sure what's at your destination, or are relying on one charger, which may be full/out of order etc.

I've had my car since brand new (Dec 21) but quite honestly had there been 2nd hand ones as you describe at a decent saving at that time I would have had one. Your brand new car soon gets old!! :)

Do factor in a home charger, if you can physically do it.

You will read here of issues which people have had, with pre and post facelift, but that's partly the purpose of forums like this - to find solutions or common problems.

Whatever you decide, I think you will enjoy the EV driving experience. Seems most here do.

I have an SR excite and it has all the safety electronics I need. If you want lane assist or MG pilot then go for the facelift

I'd be a little sceptical of a pre-registered MG5 SR with only 10 miles on the clock. If the car has just been left, it may cause the battery to prematurely deteriorate. Make sure the battery SOH (State of Health) is still very high.

As you say you can afford it I would go for the new long range option. At the end of the day even if you do few long journeys you will be grateful for that added range. The newer version has improved features especially the Trophy compared to the older model.

I don't post often, but thought I would just mention that there have been 3 phases of the MG5 in the UK so far:

The original SR version with a 52kw battery (48.8 usable) this has NO electronic aids at all, other than cruise control, so no radar in the front (just under the grill) or camera at the top of windscreen. Small infotainment screen and a couple of analogue dials for good measure. Came out roughly Oct 2020. I got my excite Feb 21, (so manual air con and basic cruise control).

Then the refreshed version, no visual changes to the car (so still mock VW grill), other than camera and radar added. In the UK only came in LR version and includes MG pilot electronic driver aids such as Emergency Breaking, LKA etc. Oct 21 ish I think.

And finally the facelift version, change to the look of the front and back, plus new infotainment and driver screen. Still obviously MG Pilot driver aids, but also adds the iSmart app for phone so you can do things like check charge percentage (without having to look through the drivers window at the drivers screen after pressing unlock like I do). Plus Vehicle to Load, which is useful too.

These are just the main, basic, differences between the models, but I have read of people not realising the original/refresh had no app for your phone AFTER they had bought the car etc so always best to check the details first.

Obviously if I have made an error please correct me and i also can't remember when the facelift came out (I know, Google is my friend), but for a while they were selling refreshed LR and facelift ones.

Hope this helps.

Hello all

As a brand new user of this forum, this is my first post and I was hoping to get some advice from other users who have owned these cars.

We're in the market for a new car and due to a complete engine failure on a fully serviced Honda Civic 2017 petrol at <39k miles (timing belt snapped, multiple valves bent, camshaft bent) we've been looking at EVs to avoid an ICE and are honing in on a MG5.

My main query is that there are MG5 SR Exclusive models as pre-reg (doesn't matter to us as we tend to keep cars) available for £20,995 cash with only 10 miles on them. Alternatively, the MG5 LR Trophy new model is available for a smidgen under £30k taking into account MG's current offer this month of £1k contribution towards a Trophy model, which actually makes it a couple hundred pounds cheaper than the SE.

Now, I know a lot of this decision is based on personal circumstances but we only do about 6-7k miles/year, and only do longer journeys of 200-250 miles perhaps twice a year. My main concern about the older model is the lack of safety electronics, rather than trim quality or touch screen quality (my current 14 year old BMW doesn't even have a screen, and most of the pixels on the stereo fade out in hot weather!!)

What are people's opinions/advice as to the two models? There's a big difference in price; we can afford the newer Trophy, but I also don't like throwing away £9k if it's mainly cosmetic differences.

Thanks in advance!
It’s a personal decision and the MG 5 LR may seem good value but it’s a dated car. I have the Facelift Trophy and so glad I went that way. Absolutely faultless, looks the part and is…

Personally can't see 10k value in a new bumper, app and infotainment screen when I use the car for commuting, mostly charge at work and use android auto.

The LR Exclusive packs all the same safety features. And at 20k is good value.

I would strongly suggest you get the 12v battery drop tested most issues people seem to get from cars that may have been sitting is a knackered 12v that causes the car to throw all manner of errors.

Hello all

Thanks in advance!
MG5 "SR" Exclusive, good car but slightly limited range. MG5 LR Trophy has moved on quite a bit, Off the top of my head advances, Longer range, bigger "much better placed" infotainment screen, LED Lights, useable roof bars, tow-bar ability, 360`o camera visibility, internal lights. etc. All things that I wished available when I got my MG5 {2022}. So if you can afford a Trophy, my advice is, don`t regret later, buying an outdated model. MG5 you won`t regret it, good luck, see you later on the Forum:)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom