MG5 SR - Yorkshire / Edinburgh Trip

Taq

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just back from a trip in the MG5 SR last week, approximately 240miles each way to Edinburgh and back.

The car was fully loaded with luggage and 4 adults so I was a little nervous going as it was a heavier load than normal, heating/wipers etc were on due to cold damp conditions and zap map seemed to be telling me that most chargers north of the border had problems. This resulted in routing in far too many coffee recharge stops travelling there through fear of reduced range/falling charger density & the possibility of blocked or broken chargers.

Travelling there we managed about 3.5m/kWh and didn’t have any issues accessing the chargers, but I did notice what seemed to be a quicker fall off in battery charge with the shorter charge stops (as if the battery charge reading was higher than reality when disconnecting).

I was much more confident in the car/chargers on the way back, especially given the density of charger was increasing coming back so decided to go for a single charge/lunch stop at the Gosforth InstaVolt, this worked out a treat with lunch at the pub and plenty of charge when we got on the road again and this time the charge didn’t appear to have the same initial drop down after leaving the charger as the shorter stops had.

On the trip back managed 3.9m/kWh and about 40% left on car when we got home, I would say the range was about 150-170 with the car fully loaded, even though when driving and watching the charge level drop does get the mind racing a little at times (my advice is not to worry about the battery level too much until your getting down towards 30% if your cautious like me).

Tried to keep my speed to around 60-65 on the motorway and the AC was running at 22deg with the fan on low for most of the trip.

couple of things I thought were worth pointing out

- every osprey chargers we used had problems starting/ending charge but this wouldn’t stop me using them as they all did charge the car and tended to be close to a rather nice eatery, the Osprey software definitely had some issue with the car but the stop button / customer support tended to fixed it quickly.

- on the A1 Gosforth was a great place to charge if heading to/from Edinburgh as there are 6 chargers and several places to eat on site

I don’t know if anyone has any experience with the reliability of zap map information as some of it looked quite old but seemed to be telling us most of the charge place Scotland sites had problems with rapid charging so we tended to avoid them, would have been nice to know how accurate this was at the time as their prices per kWh looked better.

Anyway after waffling on a bit I hope someone might find this information useful when planning something similar.

Hi
I have a friend who travels from Barnsley to Edinburgh way 2 to 3 times a month in his Dacia duster diesel
He says it costs him about £90 to £100 round trip in diesel depending on where he fills up
Do you know how much the round trip cost you
Cheers
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It cost me about £40;

Home £1.50 @ 5p/kWh left with 100% charge;

Journey there
Scotch Corner - £4.67
Gosforth - £5.20
Dunbar - £9.65 (not sure this was charged correctly as had some issues disconnecting)

Planned to arrive in Edinburgh with 75% charge as wasn’t sure I’d get chance to charge before setting off back

Whilst there;
Dalkeith £5.65 (added about 20%)

Back
Gosforth £13.80

Got home with 40%

In hindsight could have just done Gosforth both ways with a recharge at Dalkeith before starting back as putting 20-30% in going up wasn’t that efficient.

It cost me about £40;

Home £1.50 @ 5p/kWh left with 100% charge;

Journey there
Scotch Corner - £4.67
Gosforth - £5.20
Dunbar - £9.65 (not sure this was charged correctly as had some issues disconnecting)

Planned to arrive in Edinburgh with 75% charge as wasn’t sure I’d get chance to charge before setting off back

Whilst there;
Dalkeith £5.65 (added about 20%)

Back
Gosforth £13.80

Got home with 40%

In hindsight could have just done Gosforth both ways with a recharge at Dalkeith before starting back as putting 20-30% in going up wasn’t that efficient.
Wow
That would be a big saving for him
We have free charging at work so it would be even before him
I’ll pass on the information
Thanks for your reply
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Depends on the car but the trip was probably about £20-30 cheaper than in my last diesel, I wasnt really looking at the cost when choosing my chargers so he may be able to bring the cost down a tad if he knew the route / charger locations better.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom