MG5 Steering - a concern or not?

Tommy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Notice recently that the steering wheel is a bit "notchy" ... let me explain ... when driving on the motorway when the car is veering off to the left or right in the lane and I try and correct the veer I feel resistance from the steering wheel if I try and turn it just a fraction, and then it suddenly "releases one notch" and the car direction is corrected ... it's like the wheel has "incremental" turning rather than continuous adjustment.

Is this a mechanical bug or "a feature" of the car? :unsure:

NB: LKA is always off btw.

I've never experienced this in my Mk1. Is it just the same in different driving modes?

I've never experienced this in my Mk1. Is it just the same in different driving modes?
Dunno, will have to check the other modes as I always drive in ECO + Regen 3 ... it does seem to be worse on some road surfaces than others and usually only noticeable at motorway speeds, so could be a tyre wear / tramlining issue?

Notice recently that the steering wheel is a bit "notchy" ... let me explain ... when driving on the motorway when the car is veering off to the left or right in the lane and I try and correct the veer I feel resistance from the steering wheel if I try and turn it just a fraction, and then it suddenly "releases one notch" and the car direction is corrected ... it's like the wheel has "incremental" turning rather than continuous adjustment.

Are you using ACC or Pilot ?

Are you using ACC or Pilot ?
Yes, ACC active for some of the time ... was much less noticeable on this morning's commute. One thing I don't understand is what 'MG pilot' does ... I can have ACC active with MG pilot either on or off ... :rolleyes:

I never have LKA actively on btw.

Have a Mk1 MG5 and can't say I've noticed it. It's clearly electrically powered so, perhaps something buggy going on with a setting? In my Ioniq 5, the 'Lane Assist' tries to violently throw me into the hedge/oncoming traffic at every given opportunity.....

Yes, ACC active for some of the time ... was much less noticeable on this morning's commute. One thing I don't understand is what 'MG pilot' does ... I can have ACC active with MG pilot either on or off ... :rolleyes:

I never have LKA actively on btw.
Basically when driving Pilot is ACC plus TJA plus steering done for you, two different settings don't confuse the two.
'MG Pilot' as a 'thing' is a whole suite of features Guide to MG Pilot’s Safety Features.

This was an explanatory video done in the very early days of the Gen 1 ZS EV by member at the time Mike Proctor, it may still be helpful even if the cars have been updated.

Last edited:

I was experiencing this today which led me to your post here. I can confirm i had the same thing happen today while travelling on the M1. I noticed that when i was slightly adjusting the wheel it felt like there was resistance and then it just gives like an inch. This was making me feel like i was never driving straight lol. Came off M1 near home to charge. Did not experience it again driving home on the normal roads. I was not using any of the car assists. No lane assist no cruise or limiter. I was in eco mode and actually changed it to normal mode to see if that helped which it didnt. The tires on the front are also new with like 500-1000 miles on them. Car has done 30k miles so far.

I was experiencing this today which led me to your post here. I can confirm i had the same thing happen today while travelling on the M1. I noticed that when i was slightly adjusting the wheel it felt like there was resistance and then it just gives like an inch. This was making me feel like i was never driving straight lol. Came off M1 near home to charge. Did not experience it again driving home on the normal roads. I was not using any of the car assists. No lane assist no cruise or limiter. I was in eco mode and actually changed it to normal mode to see if that helped which it didnt. The tires on the front are also new with like 500-1000 miles on them. Car has done 30k miles so far.
Aha, not just me then ... :)
Could be "tramlining" - I only experience it on motorways.
Could be play in the steering rack / steering wheel / power steering - a worry if it is, but surely that would not be exclusive to motorway travel.
Could be tyre wear issue - but yours are new, right? I'm still on originals after 24k miles but have rotated the backs to the front (on same side) to even out the wear.
I generally run my tyres at higher pressures, 2.5 bar, wonder if that's a factor?
Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it.

Could be play in the steering rack / steering wheel / power steering - a worry if it is, but surely that would not be exclusive to motorway travel.
Could be tyre wear issue - but yours are new, right? I'm still on originals after 24k miles but have rotated the backs to the front (on same side) to even out the wear.
I generally run my tyres at higher pressures, 2.5 bar, wonder if that's a factor?
Just curious, why do you run at higher pressures? Won't that cause increased wear in the centre of the tyre ?

Just curious, why do you run at higher pressures? Won't that cause increased wear in the centre of the tyre ?
If I may interrupt , I had my front's changed at KwikFit and gave them my correct pressures . Their technician said they normally overinflate for better fuel efficiency ? . Anyway , had the car back and both fronts were at 2.6 ,which I duly deflated to recommended pressure . I've little faith in KwikFit anyway ;)

I mean ultimately, yes, the wear pattern may be slightly different. I haven't found that yet though after 24k miles, but having come from a car with stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres I like a slightly firmer ride … at the end of the day it's not stupidly high - 2.4-2.5 bar / 34/36 psi (when driving, not cold) versus recommended 2.2 bar / 32 psi - but I find it helps a little with m/kWh 🤔

Last edited:
Had the same "knotchy steering" today on the motorway doing 50mph with my emergency tyre on passenger side rear (thanks to a nail). I put it down to a one off due to the emergency tyre which wasn't as inflated as it should have been. Will see what happens when I get the proper wheel back on.

Yes, mine seems to be linked to the tyre pressure and weather conditions ... don't think it's anything serious to worry about.

I had this same issue, never noticed it before and haven’t changed the tires our pressures, as you say only while doing motorway speeds but it was very frustrating.

This is happening to me, I’m in a pre facelift model that doesn’t have lane assist or pilot fitted. The steering is vague and resists eventually it gives. It’s very frightening as I Do most mileage on the Motorway. It’s off to MG Dealer for diagnostics. Has anyone got to the bottom of this?

This is happening to me, I’m in a pre facelift model that doesn’t have lane assist or pilot fitted. The steering is vague and resists eventually it gives. It’s very frightening as I Do most mileage on the Motorway. It’s off to MG Dealer for diagnostics. Has anyone got to the bottom of this?
Let us know if they diagnose it, couple of us on here with the same issue 😕

I have noticed this problem recently on my (2 year old MK1) MG5
Only really noticeable on straight sections of road, locally and around town it's hard to detect. My suspicion is a power steering (torque sensor?) issue. But try as I may I can't detect any problem at a standstill which would suggest something else. UJ on steering column getting tight perhaps, I had that on a vehicle a few years ago.
This makes the car quite unpleasant to drive at higher speeds.
It's in for service next month, I will mention it but I'm not hopeful that anyone there would even detect the problem.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom