MG5 stopped with multiple errors, unable to drive or turn off.

Member 12371

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
This might help someone out of a pickle.
One of our MG5's in use as a taxi developed a fault that got the car stuck with multiple errors.
Eventually the driver was able to turn the car off and restart.
The cause was the rear seatbelt clip sensors.
The wire in one of them broke (46800 miles) and was constantly touching an earthed metal part. So sending constant messages that the belt was plugged in / unplugged. This eventually crashed the Canbus. Stopping the vehicle.
Removing the rear seat (lift up from the front) allowed me to trace the two wires from the belt buckle clips to the cars wiring loom.
There is a clip just under the panel on both sides of the car, this can be accessed quite easily without having to completely remove the side panels. Un clip and forget.
Unless you have a children that you have to know the instant they unclip their seatbelts, it is a pointless addition to the car anyway.
The vehicle was a 2022 LR.
I have not cleared the error codes yet to ensure I got the diagnosis right. if I remove them and had it wrong that makes the garages job a lot harder. Intermittent faults are the worst.
My SR 2020 MG5 had a similar issue but it did not stop the vehicle. I dealt with it using a pair of side cutters and some tape. This method was far less elegant. Lol keep smiling.
My SR will pass 100,000 miles this week. Range has dropped only 10 miles. So very happy.
Keep smiling :)

Good useful information on several fronts there. Thanks you.
Guessing from your username you probably use a few EVs as taxis. If so how are you finding different models if you have them and how many do you run ?

Crivens! Just had a very similar issue with my '5. Nearside rear seatbelt: one wire parted and the (minimal) strain relief clip on the connector broken off. Offside: strain relief clip on the connector broken off. It didn't go as far as getting the CANBus all bent out of shape though. The centre buckle was OK.

All fixed without quibble (just after lunch today) under warranty, by Crayford & Abbs in Bodham, Norfolk.

it's all in this thread.

It looks like the seatbelt buckles are fundamentally unable to cope with a life of flexing and small children struggling to fasten the seatbelt.

I like your solution BUT I'm not 100% convinced an MOT examiner wouldn't get upset about the lack of dashboard indication.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom