MG5 Trophy radio keeps swapping to media

DewiSant

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've had my MG5 Trophy for a week and a half and generally it's been fine, none of the charging issues I've seen mentioned elsewhere on this forum but when I'm listening to the radio it automatically switches to media if I receive a notification on my Bluetooth connected phone. This has never happened with any other car and I can't find anything in the settings to stop it.

I've had my MG5 Trophy for a week and a half and generally it's been fine, none of the charging issues I've seen mentioned elsewhere on this forum but when I'm listening to the radio it automatically switches to media if I receive a notification on my Bluetooth connected phone. This has never happened with any other car and I can't find anything in the settings to stop it.
Not sure it helps but I have not had this problem yet and this is my set up.

MG5 Trophy (Facelift)
iPhone connected via usb cable and Bluetooth.
Listen to DAB and use Carplay.

Mine does exactly the same thing if I don't have the USB plugged in. Not sure what I can do to resolve it, other than to always plug the phone into the USB cable.
I've got an Android phone, does this happen to anyone with an iPhone? It might be another one of those 'unique' Android features we all love so much

It would be interested to know if it also happens with iPhone. I would prefer to not have to plug it into a USB all the time if possible.

having the same annoying issue not experienced it before but i'm told it's to do with blue tooth will be asking about this when the car goes in to have the door locks looked at along with a few other niggles

having the same annoying issue not experienced it before but i'm told it's to do with blue tooth will be asking about this when the car goes in to have the door locks looked at along with a few other niggles
I've now had about 5 cars with Bluetooth media and never had this issue before. I have tried it plugged into the USB with Android Auto as recommended by CaptJurassic and can confirm it stops the notifications swapping from radio. I would prefer not to have to plug it in each time.

I've now had about 5 cars with Bluetooth media and never had this issue before. I have tried it plugged into the USB with Android Auto as recommended by CaptJurassic and can confirm it stops the notifications swapping from radio. I would prefer not to have to plug it in each time.
There are wireless android auto dongles available but they're quite expensive.

There are wireless android auto dongles available but they're quite expensive.

Thanks, this isn't about using Android Auto - I'm quite happy to plug in to use it if needed. This is more about being able to drive the car whilst listening to the radio without have to use the source button every time I receive a notification.

I suspect it's seeing a sound on the bluetooth audio device and switching to it, maybe try setting DND on the phone as a temporary work around?

Mine does exactly the same thing if I don't have the USB plugged in. Not sure what I can do to resolve it, other than to always plug the phone into the USB cable.
I've got an Android phone, does this happen to anyone with an iPhone? It might be another one of those 'unique' Android features we all love so much
This happens to me and it happened with an iPhone and an Android phone. I can't seem to disable it, even after unchecking the 'auto connect to music' option in settings in android auto play on the phone, as was previously suggested. It'll even switch away from the radio if I scroll through Reddit on my phone!

Very aggravating.

I raised this on a Facebook MG page and was given the following response, it seems to work but is still not ideal and yet another example of poor implementation from MG. Thanks to Sara Speller for the reply.

I've been through this with MG service dept and head office. Nearly drove me and them demented over 3 months!!

It's to do with notifications when you have bluetooth enabled. Not all phones do this as some have 'driving mode', but my Samsung doesn't.

When bluetooth is turned on, put the phone on silent. Hey presto, the notifications don't trigger with sound and the problem goes away. You still have sound for calls etc, but the radio behaves itself!

I raised this on a Facebook MG page and was given the following response, it seems to work but is still not ideal and yet another example of poor implementation from MG. Thanks to Sara Speller for the reply.

I've been through this with MG service dept and head office. Nearly drove me and them demented over 3 months!!

It's to do with notifications when you have bluetooth enabled. Not all phones do this as some have 'driving mode', but my Samsung doesn't.

When bluetooth is turned on, put the phone on silent. Hey presto, the notifications don't trigger with sound and the problem goes away. You still have sound for calls etc, but the radio behaves itself!
i have been to the MG dealers they asked what type of phone i have so that they might be able to produce a software patch..thanks for the workaround when you say silent do you mean the mute setting. i didn't have this issue with my Leaf but i was using a ZTE phone which is not compatible with iSMART!! so i think i will try the ZTE to see if there is a problem.

i have been to the MG dealers they asked what type of phone i have so that they might be able to produce a software patch..thanks for the workaround when you say silent do you mean the mute setting. i didn't have this issue with my Leaf but i was using a ZTE phone which is not compatible with iSMART!! so i think i will try the ZTE to see if there is a problem.
Yes, use the mute setting, it also stops swapping media interuptions if you listen to the radio whilst your plugged into the USB and connected to Android Auto or CarPlay.

It doesn't seem to be limited to specific phones, I've got a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra but there's also been reports of the same thing happening with Apple phones.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom