MG5 Unlocking during charge not releasing connector

Bazarooni

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
First attempt at using a Pod Point Tesco charger today. Charging started OK with app confirmation.
Returning to the car, unlocking, the charge did not terminate, and nor did the charge connector unlock at either the car or the Pod Point ends.
The car even let me enter ready mode and reverse, with e cable attached and still charging. Was trapped in the car park and a £70 fine looming.
Continually locking and unlocking car eventually released the charge and connector.
Rather worrying being trapped. Surely can't be right. Anyone else had this problem?

Never used a podpoint, how did you start the charge? Ending a charge is normally the opposite of starting it. Once charging you can get in and out of the car, power up to see the display etc without interrupting the process.

It would be bloody annoying I'd have thought if a charge stopped every time you did something to the car.

Well it seems the manual does say that if the car is locked whilst charging, it will cease charging when unlocked. This should also release the connector latch, but it did neither. I couldn't stop it charging, nor release the cable. Seems that unlocking the car is the only way to stop it charging, but it didn't work.

You do not say whether this was a DC (rapid) or AC charger. In my experience, with DC charging the charge cannot be ended from the car. I've had to phone the helpline to get charges ended by them. With AC charging, unlocking the car or pressing the internal unlock button will unlock the connector but not end the charge; with the connector unlocked, the charge can be ended by pulling out the plug.

Not the answer to the question, but does the MG5 have a manual cable release mechanism like the ZS EV under the bonnet ??.
Just wondering if THIS would let the cable release from the car if you are in a bit of a pickle ?.
Most of the 7kw posts I have used to charge my ZS have always stopped and then released the cable a few seconds after I have pressed the unlock button on the fob.
I usually go around to the front of the car first with my fob at the ready, then unlock the car and then either put the fob down or put it straight into my back pocket.
Then yank on the type 2 cable firmly to release it.
A delay in removing the cable could see it relock in the charging port.

It does have a manual release, though under the plastic engine bay cover so not easy to access. And I can't help thinking that pulling out a plug carrying up to 200A at 400V might give impressive arcing - I'd use the charger emergency stop which should cause the car to unlock the charge port.

If the keyfob doesn't unlock the charging cable when the car is already unlocked then I use the unlock button on the inside of the driver's door. Otherwise locking and unlocking should work.

It's vaguely possible that you'd pulled the cable while it was still locked and that had wedged the locking pin in place. I'd suggest pushing the cable firmly into the port or giving it a wiggle then trying again.

On the podpoint 7kW posts (and I'm sure most others) the cable won't release from the post until it's been unplugged from the car.

First attempt at using a Pod Point Tesco charger today. Charging started OK with app confirmation.
Returning to the car, unlocking, the charge did not terminate, and nor did the charge connector unlock at either the car or the Pod Point ends.
The car even let me enter ready mode and reverse, with e cable attached and still charging. Was trapped in the car park and a £70 fine looming.
Continually locking and unlocking car eventually released the charge and connector.
Rather worrying being trapped. Surely can't be right. Anyone else had this problem?
The car will re-lock if you don't open a door usually within 30 seconds, but some have reported that the charge port re-locks in a lot less than that on the 5, they have said to unlock the car with the fob whilst standing with their hand on the plug and pull the plug as soon as it unlocks.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and theories folks.
I was using a 7kw Pod Point AC charger, but couldn't find any emergency cut-out on it.

Yes after the panic, I did take off the plastic bonnet panel and found a very flimsy looking plastic loop as an emergency unlock for the connector. It's a pain to get to though. Screwdriver now kept in glovebox.

However, I have a theory of my own now... If I forgot to lock the car before walking away, then presumably it wouldn't "unlock" to cease the charge, even if the unlock button was pressed. Maybe?

So, has anyone tried leaving the car unlocked whilst charging, then pressed the unlock button on the keyfob to cease the charge. Did it work, or stay charging?

Just finished charging my car at home. I left it unlocked and plugged in the charger. Charging started and the car was unlocked the whole time. To finish I locked the car then unlocked it using the key fob. I was then able to release the cable.

Thanks Richard, but I didn't quite mean what you did. I'm sure that would work OK.

I meant leaving it unlocked, then press the unlock button again to see if that would end the charge. If I hadn't locked it in the first place, I wouldn't have known, and just pressed the unlock button on returning to the car. I wouldn't have locked it first, as I perhaps didn't realise I hadn't locked it. Well that was my theory.

I suspect what you did is what I ended up doing by accident, trying all sorts of things to stop the charge.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and theories folks.
I was using a 7kw Pod Point AC charger, but couldn't find any emergency cut-out on it.

Yes after the panic, I did take off the plastic bonnet panel and found a very flimsy looking plastic loop as an emergency unlock for the connector. It's a pain to get to though. Screwdriver now kept in glovebox.

However, I have a theory of my own now... If I forgot to lock the car before walking away, then presumably it wouldn't "unlock" to cease the charge, even if the unlock button was pressed. Maybe?

So, has anyone tried leaving the car unlocked whilst charging, then pressed the unlock button on the keyfob to cease the charge. Did it work, or stay charging?
Like I said, the button on the inside of the driver's door always unlocks the charging cable, even if the doors are already unlocked and the key fob doesn't work.

Well it seems the manual does say that if the car is locked whilst charging, it will cease charging when unlocked. This should also release the connector latch, but it did neither. I couldn't stop it charging, nor release the cable. Seems that unlocking the car is the only way to stop it charging, but it didn't work.
I had that problem once on my ZS when I opened the car and then started talking to another EV owner. When I finally stopped talking I could not pull out the plug. I tried locking and unlocking etc, even phoned the dealer who recommended I do what I had just done. I could start the car and I could have reversed if I had tried but I didn't. I locked the car and walked about 50ft away then walked back unlocked the car and the plug released. No idea why it worked after locking and walking away. It would be a pretty cool feature if the car did that if for instance you left the keys with the car and walked away without locking it and it disabled the lock release until you reset it! Pipe dream that would never happen as the dealership would forget about it anbd not tell any customers lol.

There is a process on the New MGZS EV to release the cable, this process works every time

Open the vehicle from the remote
Press the ignition button (wait for media screen to fully load)
Press the home button on the Media display (picture of house bottom of the screen)
Press the bar showing the % charge (top left side of the media screen)
On the next screen, under the bar showing the % charged you will see “Finish Charging” & a Locked Padlock
Press the finish charging button, after 5-10 seconds the padlock will unlock.
You can now remove the cable from the vehicle.

I had this issue with PodPoint many months back - called the helpline and they suggested locking and unlocking the car several times - the car released the cable at this point.

There is a process on the New MGZS EV to release the cable, this process works every time

Open the vehicle from the remote
Press the ignition button (wait for media screen to fully load)
Press the home button on the Media display (picture of house bottom of the screen)
Press the bar showing the % charge (top left side of the media screen)
On the next screen, under the bar showing the % charged you will see “Finish Charging” & a Locked Padlock
Press the finish charging button, after 5-10 seconds the padlock will unlock.
You can now remove the cable from the vehicle.
Great advice but this is the MG5 forum which doesn't have any charge controls through the media unit... ☺️

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom