MG5 Waze weirdness

smokie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I put a couple of favourite destinations into Waze the other day - home and work.

I connect via AA Wireless.

If I use the voice command and say Directions Home, it says calculating directions from <my home road name> to Home, or similar. Same with work. And I don't get a route.

Anyone else noticed this?

Unconnected Waze is fine.

PS I still have the oddity of two nice English ladies sharing the effort of giving me verbal instructions, sometimes switching one to the other mid-sentence. Maybe I should re-install it!!

No help to you but mine is working fine and calculates routes OK.

Even using saved destinations? Mine is fine if you give it the address verbally.

PS And are you using AAWireless? (Not sure if significant)

Last edited:
Waze can be odd at times but any issues will be entirely down to the app/ phone.

Even using saved destinations? Mine is fine if you give it the address verbally.

PS And are you using AAWireless? (Not sure if significant)
Had endless problems with connection when plugged in despite trying all known potential solutions.

Since getting AAWireless just get in the car phone in pocket and it connects perfectly.

@Gomev - yes, my connection is fine, apart from a disconnection problem I've documented elsewhere and I now know is due to the phone.

What I'm interested in here is whether it does a route to one of your Saved Places (press My Waze, second tab) properly when it's connected to the car, as opposed to one you've spelt out in detail.

Mine does it fine when not connected to the car but misbehaves when it is.

Last edited:
@Gomev - yes, my connection fine, apart from a disconnection problem I've documented elsewhere and I now know is due to the phone.

What I'm interested in here is whether it does a route to one of your Saved Places (press My Waze, second tab) properly when it's connected to the car, as opposed to one you've spelt out in detail.

Mine does it fine when not connected to the car but misbehaves when it is.
I have found the app on the phone to be inaccessible when in Android Auto mode.

It is, but you press the microphone on your navigation screen and say "directions to" either your proper destination or a saved location. So I can say Directions home, or directions work, or spell out a postcode or address.

(I only described the Saved Places in case you weren't sure what I was talking about!! :) )

I put a couple of favourite destinations into Waze the other day - home and work.

If I use the voice command and say Directions Home, it says calculating directions from <my home road name> to Home, or similar. Same with work. And I don't get a route.

PS I still have the oddity of two nice English ladies sharing the effort of giving me verbal instructions, sometimes switching one to the other mid-sentence. Maybe I should re-install it!!
What do you use for your wireless connection? Does it do the same thing with a wired connection?

As mentioned, I connect using AA Wireless :)

I'd not thought to try it hardwired but it acts the same.

I just spent and hour or so trying to test this and the disconnection problem with a couple of redundant phones but with no real conclusions as neither played at all well with Android Auto, and one wouldn't even load AA Wireless.

I'm not so bothered about this matter, just wondered if it was the same for everyone.

So your car has wireless AA as standard ? I did not know any MG had this.

Last edited:
Not sure I said that anywhere?

Anyway - it doesn't.
Sorry - I get it now! AA wireless is a dongle to enable wireless connectivity! I was seeing an invisible ‘ly’ on the end! I thought perhaps there might be an issue with the connectivity that was causing your problem - but it’s not the case. 🤪

Ahhh - yes there is a connectivity problem which is documented elsewhere but this is just a small operational problem with the way Waze works (or doesn't, at times!!) - and I was just wondering whether anyone else had the problem (or didn't have the problem) or if it was just me. If so I may reload Waze but it feels like it might be a problem for all...

It is, but you press the microphone on your navigation screen and say "directions to" either your proper destination or a saved location. So I can say Directions home, or directions work, or spell out a postcode or address.

(I only described the Saved Places in case you weren't sure what I was talking about!! :) )
I use the microphone button on the steering wheel. Press and hold wait for the ready beep and then I say navigate to blah-di-blah wherever, then let go of button.
I might try the on screen button for a change :)

I use the microphone button on the steering wheel. Press and hold wait for the ready beep and then I say navigate to blah-di-blah wherever, then let go of button.
I might try the on screen button for a change :)
OK - did that, it worked perfectly thanks - but when we arrived -
The bla- dI place was shut !! 😩

OK - did that, it worked perfectly thanks - but when we arrived -
The bla- dI place was shut !! 😩
Pleased it worked, and it's always shut when we get there too, but it's a nice ride out. :)

Waze can be odd at times but any issues will be entirely down to the app/ phone.
I once had a bug where the voice directions called absolutely everything a close, it was very werid, I think it needed an app update and a clear of caches to fix.

So, ignoring which button you use, and whether you are connected by USB or AA Wireless, does anybody have any Saved locations in Waze and tried navigating to one of those using voice when connected to Android Auto and if so did it route you OK?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom