deanWombourne

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Bit unusual this, normally when they break they won't turn on!

The car is sitting on the drive right now, and here's what it's doing:

Start/stop button won't turn off (light on button stays green, headlights stay on etc).
Keys won't lock the car, just honk the horn when we try (probably because it's still turned on!)
Pushing the start/stop button will turn air-con on/off, so it's definitely working as a button.
Battery voltage displayed on the dash is 13(ish)V so it looks like the 12v system is good? (Main battery is at 80% so that's fine too)
If i put the car into reverse the rear camera starts up, but pressing accelerator does nothing
While pushing the start/stop button turns air-con on/off, the dial on the display showing power (and regen) remains off (i.e. pointing down at the max regen position - I'd expect it to go to the 0 position when the car is ready to drive).

I've tried both sets of keys, tried the key in the recovery position (in the cup holder), and tried resetting the info system (bit of a long shot) with no change.

Any suggestions before I accpet failure and call a garage over Christmas?

Not this would help but try holding the home button on the info system for about 10 seconds to reboot that.

Worth a shot. Mine is a FL but I assume the same on the pre.

Upvote 0
Have you got your foot on the brake pedal when you push the stop/start button?
Yes - no effect.

Have you got your foot on the brake pedal when you push the stop/start button?
Yes - no effect.
Have you tried connecting it to your EVSE (charge point)?
yes - it says cable connected, then removing it doesn’t fix things.

Have you tried pressing and holding the start/stop button?
Yes - for a short while it has no effect. For a long while it tells me that the start stop button is stuck down.

Not this would help but try holding the home button on the info system for about 10 seconds to reboot that.

Worth a shot. Mine is a FL but I assume the same on the pre.
Already tried - no effect :(

The horn honks if a door isn't closed properly and it also won't drive if that's the case . Maybe check all your doors are closed properly
I’ve tried all doors, boot, and bonnet. Each door opening shows on the dash, and the door open warning goes away when they are closed again, so door sensors are working and the doors are closed.

Upvote 0
Have you been playing with the new app? i have had sort of similar issue trying to get the defrost to actually use hot air. whilst sitting in the car i have been playing with locking the car and putting on the front screen i actually locked myself in! fortunately the app allowed me to unlock until then i couldn't switch the car off!
you could try the app to see if it will switch off

Upvote 0
Have you been playing with the new app? i have had sort of similar issue trying to get the defrost to actually use hot air. whilst sitting in the car i have been playing with locking the car and putting on the front screen i actually locked myself in! fortunately the app allowed me to unlock until then i couldn't switch the car off!
you could try the app to see if it will switch off
I didn’t think the app connected to the MG5?

Upvote 0
Horn will honk if car left on even with all doors shut
App only connects to FL mg5
Turning on only needs foot on brake no turning off

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom