MG5's silent protest against 20MPH speed limits.

AnonymouseDriva

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Well, 48 hours and 70 odd miles in, it seems that Ernie (Mg5 LR Exclusive) is indeed the fastest milk cart in the west. So much so, in fact, that he actively protests against what he considers overbearing speed restrictions.

I noticed an intermittent failure on the drive home from collecting the car where the dashboard would display the warning "Intelligent Speed Assist Fault, Consult Handbook". This happened three times on the way home so I notified the dealer about it that night. Had another drive about with ISA on later that day and saw no issues.

This evening though I took a trip out through town to the post office and it happened a couple of times again. I realised that both times it failed I was in a 20MPH zone, so I drove through my area down a couple of 20MPH zones, so what was an intermittent failure is now a clear repeatable error.

Every time I pass a 20 sign with ISA on it fails, turns off, then refuses to be turned back on for a good 15-20s or so.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

The more bells and whistles they add the more that can go wrong although there may be a logical reason why this is happening.
I'm guessing the reason is that the person who wrote the software lives in another country and didn't realise we have 20MPH speed limits here...

You can set a manual speed limit at 20MPH, so it's not that the speed assist function cant support that speed.

Don't know if it's related but your cruise control only works down to 20mph.

Don't know if it's related but your cruise control only works down to 20mph.
Yeah, and the Manual Speed Assist range is 20 - 80 MPH as well. It's in the range so I would expect it to work. At the very worst, I would expect it to not recognise the sign at all and put --- there like it does at every junction.
The one thing I wouldn't expect it to do is throw up a warning then give up and turn off completely every time it sees a perfectly normal street sign.

@MilesperkWh does your demo one do this (or could you check it out next time you’re out and about please?). I assume not many people use ISA so it might have gone un-noticed. I’d rather know if it’s common before I leave mine back at Chorley for diagnosis next Saturday. Thanks.

So... Anyone?
I've had confirmation via facebook that the ZS recognises 20 signs fine, but nothing either way from 5LR owners. Confirmation either way as to whether it seems to be common or just me would be nice.
Either way, it's back to Chorley tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

Happy to report though that at present this is my biggest and only issue with the car, and it's that small an inconvenience that it's barely worth the trip back to get it sorted - but it would only wind me up knowing that it's still there....

I’ve got a 20mph at the start of my street. Pretty sure I’d switched intelligent speed assist thingy on. Although it did pop back off again. Not seen any errors displayed. But maybe not in same mode as yours

I’ve got a 20mph at the start of my street. Pretty sure I’d switched intelligent speed assist thingy on. Although it did pop back off again. Not seen any errors displayed. But maybe not in same mode as yours
Yeah - I have one at the start of my street too, but the car never sees it. I find if you're turning into a street (especially if you are turning left) it doesn't see the first sign.
There are generally plenty of reminders in 20 areas though...

So, I set the speed assist to 'Intelligent Speed Assist' in the car section of the infotainment (to get the orange speed logo that looks a bit like an eyeball on the dash) then press the set button on the ACC stalk to turn that green. It works a treat with all other speed limits - that's what makes it all the stranger.

Oh and I find that the Speed Assist system is set back to OFF in the infotainment everytime I start the car, so I have to choose manual or ISA each time if I want to use it,

Well, it's confirmed that it's not just me.
Went up to Chorley MG for them to take a look at mine, and whilst I was there I went for a short spin in their demo car (the grey 5LR that @MilesperkWh stuck the go faster stripes and visor strip on).

Took it round the corner to the nearest 20MPH zone just past the school. Same fault on theirs.

Slightly miffed as I did ask them to check that one when I booked mine in and they could have saved me 2 hours of my Saturday morning for the sake of a 5 minute drive around the corner, but at least it's now logged and confirmed as a fault that exists on more than one vehicle (and one of their own as well) and not just something on mine!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom