MGZS EV problems starting

Seve

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
3 time over the last couple of days, I was unable to start my ZS EV, information panel warning that the HV Battery has a fault, only way to start the car was to `Lock and Unlock the car, and then it will start
Local MG Dealer advises that they can find nothing wrong when they plug in diagnostics, problem has be escalated to MG, anybody else having twos problem?

You could always try the old 12 volt disconnect trick ?.
No harm in trying.
Open the bonnet and with a 10mm spanner🔧 disconnect the negative terminal.
Move the battery clamp away from the battery post and leave it disconnected for about 20 minutes.
Then reconnect and tighten the clamp correctly.
This will reset the 12 volt system of the car.

Thank you, I'll try this if the problem reappears, I guess this will lose all the radio settings as well if I disconnect the 12v battery```/

You are probably rushing the start sequence. It all needs time. Here is what I do:
Jump in car. Foot HARD on the brake pedal, push start
Put on seat belt By this time, the brake pedal has stopped going down
Keep foot hard on brake and put into D or R
Drive off

I had the same problem as you when I first had the car. Once I learnt to slow down the start sequence by putting on my seatbelt before selecting D, all was well.

Last edited:
Good advice !.
Just to add, keep your foot hard on the footbrake but DON'T try selecting DRIVE or REVERSE until you have received the READY bong and sign in the dash panel !.
Then select a drive function.
Rush the process and the car will object and throw a battery warning.

I have had exactly this problem trying to quickly move the car after parking. HV battery fault. Left the car overnight and it worked fine next day. I have booked in a trip to the service centre, but suspect it will show nothing. But will update here if anything reported. I have also experienced the infotainment reboot issue. Will try to get a software update from the dealer.

I have had this many a time. It is just impatient driver syndrome. Let the car boot up with some patience. Foot on the brake, press start and wait 2 seconds before selecting drve/reverse.

Thank you all for your responses, I will try and be less impatient on start up, hopefully this will resolve issue, wonder why MG Dealer didn't suggest this ?

You would have thought that the software would have a delay built into the drive selector so that it was disabled until the car was fully awake.

You are probably rushing the start sequence. It all needs time. Here is what I do:
Jump in car. Foot HARD on the brake pedal, push start
Put on seat belt By this time, the brake pedal has stopped going down
Drive off

I had the same problem as you when I first had the car. Once I learnt to slow down the start sequence by putting on my seatbelt before selecting D, all was well.
I had the same problem and found the same result. Take it easy starting the car. Don't rush it and you'll find the problem goes away.

3 time over the last couple of days, I was unable to start my ZS EV, information panel warning that the HV Battery has a fault, only way to start the car was to `Lock and Unlock the car, and then it will start
Local MG Dealer advises that they can find nothing wrong when they plug in diagnostics, problem has be escalated to MG, anybody else having twos problem?
I had the problem ( again) today
I was sitting in the car waiting for my wife
I pressed the start/stop button once to turn the radio on
Radio was still on when my wife returned
I pushed the brake pedal down and pressed the start/stop button to start the car.The warning that the HV battery was disconnected appeared on the info screen
The gear selector dial was not lit up, rotating the dial did nothing.
The brake pedal was by now fully up and hard to press
I locked and unlocked the car a few times from the remote
I turned the power on/ off a few times
Eventually, i was able to get the rotary dial to select Reverse,
I dont know the sequence that allowed me to get it going again.
Asides from the frustration of having isues like this , the bigger concern is the lack of support from the MG dealership, who typically denies any knowledge of this, and other issues
I plan to communicate to the manufacturing source in China.

When waiting in the car you should keep it in ready mode or you would deplete the 12 volt battery and not have enough energy left in it to run the solenoid that connect to the high volt battery the car will warn you of the if you press start without foot on brake

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom