MGZS EV - Trophy 130kW Trophy 51kWh - Range Issues

Gem2support

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,
I have just joined forum so please be patient with me if below has been repeated many times🙂!!

I purchased my new MG at the end of July having looked around the market for my first EV within my budget.

Although I'm fairly happy with my new purchase, I am massively disappointed at the range i am getting based upon what is suggested one could achieve in mileage on this module.

Though never expected to get the 205 miles that they advertise is possible to achieve, i would expect to get somewhere as close to 190 miles with the following scenario: Just completed full charge - turn on ignition (or look on my App) and the battery shows 100% charged with average164 mile range, that's really disappointing!

When i first purchased it showed 194 miles of range so why would i have lost around 30 miles of battery capacity and in such a short time:(???

I do appreciate that as the colder weather arrives the range is not so good but with everything turned off IE the battery not being drained why would the advertised range drop so bad???

For the record i do not do many miles (average 10 per day most week days and around 60 at weekends) i drive mainly in economy mode, and usually recharge with my home wall charger when around 20-25% of charge left.

I did nearly before this purchase, buy the older model but was put off by the 160 top range but seems like i am not much better off, nor is my bank balance for buying something new with same range!!!

I know they have a long range version for around 5k dearer, but knew around 200 miles would do perfectly well for my needs.

Any help or feedback would be most welcome guys,

many thanks

Kevin

Attachments

• MG image.jpg
    MG image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 89
The range is based on the GOM (Guess O Meter).

It is based on a rolling average of last miles driven.

What type of driving are you doing? If that's Motorway higher speed driving then it might make sense.

The 200 miles is based on a blend of driving.

Do you NEED to be able to do more than 150 miles without stopping on a regular basis?

The range is based on the GOM (Guess O Meter).

It is based on a rolling average of last miles driven.

What type of driving are you doing? If that's Motorway higher speed driving then it might make sense.

The 200 miles is based on a blend of driving.

Do you NEED to be able to do more than 150 miles without stopping on a regular basis?
Thank you for quick respose.

Driving during week its all pretty much around town - weekends its more dual carriageway with very occasional short trip motorway but would guess that 80% of the battery is used around town. i do have a couple of trips coming up where i will need close to 160 miles range to reach destination (obviously same back) was hoping to recharge once there rather then whilst still travelling to destination if that makes sense!
So how do i get to this blend of driving to get anywhere close to 200?

is 164 something i need to accept?

many thanks for listening

I'd say that is what to expect at this time of year.
Cars seem to get between 3 and 5 miles per kWh. the zs is a bit of a brick so I'd expect nearer 3.

this is backed up by the ev database MG ZS EV Standard Range
Hi, thank you for reply, and the link you sent was really useful though probably not what i wanted to read lol!!
ok so i guess there isn't a fault with car its more like accepting these are expected ranges - just seems a little disappointing that i will never achieve close to 200 miles that i thought i would get out of this model, obviously should have read the small print!!!

thank you btw!

Hi, thank you for reply, and the link you sent was really useful though probably not what i wanted to read lol!!
ok so i guess there isn't a fault with car its more like accepting these are expected ranges - just seems a little disappointing that i will never achieve close to 200 miles that i thought i would get out of this model, obviously should have read the small print!!!

thank you btw!
Given my experience of an Ioniq 38, I'd say you'll get closer to it in temps above 20c and with lower average speeds.

Consolation is that you will see similar percentage dips with the long range. Or any EV really.

Rather than get too focused on the range estimate from the GOM (was it ever a factor driving a ICE car?), I would just focus on whether it is really going to impact your longer trips. If you are just making a slightly longer charging stop on say a 250 mile journey, for example, is it actually an issue what the GOM is estimating?

As N2sty says, you need to reset both trip counters to see the specified range. Once you have charged to 100% and balanced, go to the screen that shows the power in and out of the battery. Hold the OK button for about 3 seconds to reset the trip counter to zero. Go down (or up) one to reach the other trip counter and hold the OK button to reset. You have now reset both the trip and average trip counters. Now, the range shown will be close to specified range.

Given my experience of an Ioniq 38, I'd say you'll get closer to it in temps above 20c and with lower average speeds.

Consolation is that you will see similar percentage dips with the long range. Or any EV really.

Rather than get too focused on the range estimate from the GOM (was it ever a factor driving a ICE car?), I would just focus on whether it is really going to impact your longer trips. If you are just making a slightly longer charging stop on say a 250 mile journey, for example, is it actually an issue what the GOM is estimating?
thanks for info - guess i just assumed if i drove off on a full tank it would achieve around 190 + before i added all the other factors - heating AC, motorway driving etc etc and once all these items have been switched on etc THEN it would show the new reduced range dependent on what i am using within the car!

Do appreciate all this feedback tho you can see I'm a novice lol, thanks !

As N2sty says, you need to reset both trip counters to see the specified range. Once you have charged to 100% and balanced, go to the screen that shows the power in and out of the battery. Hold the OK button for about 3 seconds to reset the trip counter to zero. Go down (or up) one to reach the other trip counter and hold the OK button to reset. You have now reset both the trip and average trip counters. Now, the range shown will be close to specified range.
thanks for that guys i will try that as well great stuff !

I drive with my mpkw showing on the dash my journey to work starts with local roads have seen as low as 2.2mpkw 10 mins later 70mph a roads 18mins and it will go up to 3mpkw then about 5mins on more local roads now averaging 3.5mpkw+ that's a 30mile trip pretty much the same on the return journey this is normally mode temp set at 22c on Auto comfort mode when I get home 60miles I have used between 25 and 30 battery used which is just over ÂŁ1 to charge back up my jeep same trip ÂŁ15 so loving the mg

The situation with the stated range achievable by EVs is no different really from the stated MPG with petrol or diesel cars. If the brochure for your ICE car says 60MPG, you know for sure that you will never see this unless travelling downhill with a following wind. Similarly, if the EV brochure says 280 miles range, it's highly unlikely you will get that in anything like normal driving, for the various reasons given in previous posts.

Thank you all, feel i have a much better understanding of expected miles per tank!

There are a couple of things i can check , especially next time i charge so much appreciated guys!

(I do have a separate question with vehicle not related to this subject so will add to another post!)

Thanks again

Hi all,
I have just joined forum so please be patient with me if below has been repeated many times🙂!!

I purchased my new MG at the end of July having looked around the market for my first EV within my budget.

Although I'm fairly happy with my new purchase, I am massively disappointed at the range i am getting based upon what is suggested one could achieve in mileage on this module.

Though never expected to get the 205 miles that they advertise is possible to achieve, i would expect to get somewhere as close to 190 miles with the following scenario: Just completed full charge - turn on ignition (or look on my App) and the battery shows 100% charged with average164 mile range, that's really disappointing!

When i first purchased it showed 194 miles of range so why would i have lost around 30 miles of battery capacity and in such a short time:(???

I do appreciate that as the colder weather arrives the range is not so good but with everything turned off IE the battery not being drained why would the advertised range drop so bad???

For the record i do not do many miles (average 10 per day most week days and around 60 at weekends) i drive mainly in economy mode, and usually recharge with my home wall charger when around 20-25% of charge left.

I did nearly before this purchase, buy the older model but was put off by the 160 top range but seems like i am not much better off, nor is my bank balance for buying something new with same range!!!

I know they have a long range version for around 5k dearer, but knew around 200 miles would do perfectly well for my needs.

Any help or feedback would be most welcome guys,

many thanks

Kevin
Firstly welcome to the forum.

Two things which strike me is that you say in your description of the type of driving you do that it includes motorway driving. If you have been driving on the motorway and this trip was shortly before charging to 100% so that the GOM included those driven miles then it will show a reduced range. Motorway driving at 70 mph will lower your range compared with 65 or even 60 mph. Dropping the motorway top or target speed actually makes less difference to total journey times. Motorway driving has greater wind resistance and fewer opportunities to Regen using KERS that the town driving you regularly do. Charging to 100% when recent driving has been about town will show a higher GOM estimate.

The second point that occurred to me is Balance or Equalisation charges. You said you are charging to 100% but didn't mention if this was done on Rapid DC Chargers or at home on AC (Type 2). If you don't charge to 100% and then leave it to complete its Cell Equalisation for 30 minutes (but preferably a couple of hours) at least once a month you will reduce the capacity of the battery available to you ie. range. If you've not been doing these extended charges you can recover the capacity bit by bit by repeating the charge every couple of days after running the battery down to 80% charge or below.

And as others have said seasonal factors do affect the GOM because they do affect the capacity of the usable battery. Personally, I've found my Gen1 ZS 944 kWh) can report as high as 205 miles straight after a charge in summer but as low as 135 miles in winter. But be sure you are consistent when you check. If you check immediately after the charge finishes it will be higher than if the charge finished an hour ago and the battery pack has cooled down from the charging.

The situation with the stated range achievable by EVs is no different really from the stated MPG with petrol or diesel cars. If the brochure for your ICE car says 60MPG, you know for sure that you will never see this unless travelling downhill with a following wind. Similarly, if the EV brochure says 280 miles range, it's highly unlikely you will get that in anything like normal driving, for the various reasons given in previous posts.
I would agree that in the past this was very true, it was not unheard of, that you got 25% less than what was promised by the NEDC MPG figure.

When it comes to new cars, with the WLTP cycle, i find that it is very possible to get the advertised MPG, i have even had a diesel that did above the WLTP range.

Electric cars though, they seem to be a lot more tricky, cold weather or a heavy foot, impacts the range "massively".

In a 4 week old mk2 LRTC I got 270 miles range from London to Stockport on Saturday (1/10/22) and 282 miles range on the way back on Sunday (2/10/22). Midday thru afternoon travel both ways. Journey length each way was 195 miles. Used about 72% of battery there and 69% of battery on the way back. First long journey so took it cautious and used ECO mode on mg pilot / acc mostly at about 60mph. Was perfectly comfortable and stress free.

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Two things which strike me is that you say in your description of the type of driving you do that it includes motorway driving. If you have been driving on the motorway and this trip was shortly before charging to 100% so that the GOM included those driven miles then it will show a reduced range. Motorway driving at 70 mph will lower your range compared with 65 or even 60 mph. Dropping the motorway top or target speed actually makes less difference to total journey times. Motorway driving has greater wind resistance and fewer opportunities to Regen using KERS that the town driving you regularly do. Charging to 100% when recent driving has been about town will show a higher GOM estimate.

The second point that occurred to me is Balance or Equalisation charges. You said you are charging to 100% but didn't mention if this was done on Rapid DC Chargers or at home on AC (Type 2). If you don't charge to 100% and then leave it to complete its Cell Equalisation for 30 minutes (but preferably a couple of hours) at least once a month you will reduce the capacity of the battery available to you ie. range. If you've not been doing these extended charges you can recover the capacity bit by bit by repeating the charge every couple of days after running the battery down to 80% charge or below.

And as others have said seasonal factors do affect the GOM because they do affect the capacity of the usable battery. Personally, I've found my Gen1 ZS 944 kWh) can report as high as 205 miles straight after a charge in summer but as low as 135 miles in winter. But be sure you are consistent when you check. If you check immediately after the charge finishes it will be higher than if the charge finished an hour ago and the battery pack has cooled down from the charging.
OP stated most driving was around town.

In a 4 week old mk2 LRTC I got 270 miles range from London to Stockport on Saturday (1/10/22) and 282 miles range on the way back on Sunday (2/10/22). Midday thru afternoon travel both ways. Journey length each way was 195 miles. Used about 72% of battery there and 69% of battery on the way back. First long journey so took it cautious and used ECO mode on mg pilot / acc mostly at about 60mph. Was perfectly comfortable and stress free.
Great, but OP has an SR.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom