MGZS LRTC: 12 month wait over! My initial thoughts and queries on a few things.

Edmusicman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Mine just arrived the other day just in time for Christmas! LR TROPHY connect (facelift) in ‘York White’ (apparently?!) from MG Richmond, Portsmouth driven all the way up to me near Preston on a small transporter which took the driver almost 11 hours! Poor guy.

Very pleased so far with it; but just have a couple of thoughts I’d love to share to see if others have any of these issues;

The central column block presses right up against my left knee all the time and is very uncomfortable I might have to put some padding on it. Even with my left foot on the foot rest pedal it just digs into my knee area Iv not got a weird leg issue and am pretty standard size and medium to slightly large build at just under 5’11 but the layout just seems really tight on the left side. Maybe more experimentation with seat height is required.

The startup greeting always gets the date as Jan 1st 2019?! Does anyone know how to fix this? I can’t find any date setting in the menus so I am presuming that it is getting this from GPS? Should I reset anything like dead reckoning? <some one already mentioned a connect issue, is there a workaround I’m missing? >

Lane keeping alarm notifications… arggg!! This only stayed enabled for less that a few hours on the first day for me. It is just far too sensitive. Even at its lowest sensitivity. Worryingly, I kept finding on the motorway with lane keeping on and MG pilot it kept pulling me over towards the left and then having to correct ITSELF suddenly back to the right again suddenly. Does anyone else have this? I feel like i’m fighting it sometimes. It’s comical, going on blooming dangerous and must look ridiculous from behind kangarooing in the lane. On sections of motorway where they now put those Concrete barriers right up to the left line it feels horribly dangerous as it genuinely wants to pull towards it all the time. Iv checked my road positioning multiple times from my perspective and a passengers and for some reason it has a left tendency/ bias pull? Is it designed to keep your left wheels practically touching the left line and not inbetween the lines in the middle of the lane equally? Thanks how it feels at the moment. If this is not right I will have to get it looked at urgently.

On the DAB radio favourites page.. iv added favourites but they won’t change station when pressing them? Nothing happens. This screen seems like it has a bug maybe? Seems to work fine on the FM page.

Should double pressing the remote lock on the keyfob activate the locate vehicle function with flashing lights and horn? I just get the flashing lights no horn.

Constant fogging up. Not surprised one bit at the moment with the weather we are having so I just keep flipping the front windscreen demist on and off as needed. Do most people use auto mode (with the auto fan speed set low) and leave it running?

I love the EV experience so far. The most noticeable thing I’m finding up in the lakes at the moment is how different the accelerator pedal works in evs. Not something which I had heard much about before or considered but to keep the car at a constant speed on varying terrain I am
Having to adjust the power with the accelerator much more than on any ICE I have driven. The right foot is up and down much more and I can’t lock in a speed by ‘feel’ keeping my foot in one position so resort to using the cruise control for longer stretches of road. Going up hill in particular It feels like I really have to floor it to keep up speed. I may just be too used and spoilt driving big-engined diesel cars over the last few years! And it’s been about 10 years since I drove petrol lol.

I wish that we had the KERS when using cruise control - will this ever come to the ZS? I don’t imagine a software update will change that but I believe the MG4 does.
Loving everything else about the car at the minute especially not having to put in £110 of diesel everytime to fill up.

Any thoughts by more experienced or fellow new owners of the ZS (facelift) would be welcome!

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!
And a happy new year.

Cheers,

Ed

The startup greeting always gets the date as Jan 1st 2019?! Does anyone know how to fix this?
Common problem on the connect only should be an update by now along with maintained vehicle soon ever 600 miles
Should double pressing the remote lock on the keyfob activate the locate vehicle function with flashing lights and horn? I just get the flashing lights no horn.
You can set this up from entertainment screen

Constant fogging up. Not surprised one bit at the moment with the weather we are having so I just keep flipping the front windscreen demist on and off as needed. Do most people use auto mode (with the auto fan speed set low) and leave it running?
You can take climate control out of comfort mode and direct extra air to the window screen without using front Window demist

Common problem on the connect only should be an update by now along with maintained vehicle soon ever 600 miles

You can take climate control out of comfort mode and direct extra air to the window screen without using front Window demist
Thanks for these tips N2STY :cool: Appreciate it!

Regarding the misting, are you using Eco mode for driving? ..... It turns the heater off and any other non essentials.

Regarding the misting, are you using Eco mode for driving? ..... It turns the heater off and any other non essentials.
Yea I’ve been using a combination of eco and normal. I think it’s a bit of that first week range anxiety! I eventually realised that the heating element drops out on eco. Need to work out a nice level setting to just leave it in :) cheers! What do you leave your settings on?

I did my first 320 mile trip yesterday heating set at 23 degrees fan on 2 started from home with 100% charge arrived with 44% at 160 miles in Normal mode. Return journey after a recharge to 94% same heating settings but had a head wind coming back, so to combat that which was hammering the range tucked in behind a coach doing 65 mph this helped me home with 20% left but woke up this morning and the Ismart app said only 11% left, I assume this is because the battery had cooled down over night. All in all very happy with the ZS LR ,no driver fatigue whatsoever very comfortable.Ive got to do the same journey again next week and I'm looking forward to it. Oh had no misting up issues on those settings.

Regarding the misting, are you using Eco mode for driving
Yea I’ve been using a combination of eco and normal. I think it’s a bit of that first week range anxiety! I eventually realised that the heating element drops out on eco. Need to work out a nice level setting to just leave it in :) cheers! What do you leave your settings on?
I just drive mine on normal, the extra 8-10 miles Eco gives isn't really needed 😊
I just drive it like my previous Tuscon petrol car, but watch the MG'S acceleration...... easy to go too fast😉

Turning off dead reckoning fixes the sat Nav, it's brilliant btw👍

Had my TC LR since August. 6 ft tall no issues for me with left knee you mentioned. Yes mine sometimes reverts to 2019 then changes to correct year then back again. You'll find a setting to change Find My Car to lights only or lights and horn. Lane keep assist a bit fierce so I tend not to use. Wife's Zoe the same. No issues with power ad you mention. Maybe just need to get used to different power band? Very very happy with mine *had a Mk1 before). Let me know if you want a hardcopy manual. tiger885@virginmedia com

Attachments

• 20221121_123827.jpg
    20221121_123827.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 122
Regarding the misting, are you using Eco mode for driving

I just drive mine on normal, the extra 8-10 miles Eco gives isn't really needed 😊
I just drive it like my previous Tuscon petrol car, but watch the MG'S acceleration...... easy to go too fast😉

Turning off dead reckoning fixes the sat Nav, it's brilliant btw👍
How do you turn off the dead reckoning please?

I've found by directing air flow to both screen and feet you can pretty much forget about 'fogging'

Mine just arrived the other day just in time for Christmas! LR TROPHY connect (facelift) in ‘York White’ (apparently?!) from MG Richmond, Portsmouth driven all the way up to me near Preston on a small transporter which took the driver almost 11 hours! Poor guy.

Very pleased so far with it; but just have a couple of thoughts I’d love to share to see if others have any of these issues;

The central column block presses right up against my left knee all the time and is very uncomfortable I might have to put some padding on it. Even with my left foot on the foot rest pedal it just digs into my knee area Iv not got a weird leg issue and am pretty standard size and medium to slightly large build at just under 5’11 but the layout just seems really tight on the left side. Maybe more experimentation with seat height is required.

The startup greeting always gets the date as Jan 1st 2019?! Does anyone know how to fix this? I can’t find any date setting in the menus so I am presuming that it is getting this from GPS? Should I reset anything like dead reckoning? <some one already mentioned a connect issue, is there a workaround I’m missing? >

Lane keeping alarm notifications… arggg!! This only stayed enabled for less that a few hours on the first day for me. It is just far too sensitive. Even at its lowest sensitivity. Worryingly, I kept finding on the motorway with lane keeping on and MG pilot it kept pulling me over towards the left and then having to correct ITSELF suddenly back to the right again suddenly. Does anyone else have this? I feel like i’m fighting it sometimes. It’s comical, going on blooming dangerous and must look ridiculous from behind kangarooing in the lane. On sections of motorway where they now put those Concrete barriers right up to the left line it feels horribly dangerous as it genuinely wants to pull towards it all the time. Iv checked my road positioning multiple times from my perspective and a passengers and for some reason it has a left tendency/ bias pull? Is it designed to keep your left wheels practically touching the left line and not inbetween the lines in the middle of the lane equally? Thanks how it feels at the moment. If this is not right I will have to get it looked at urgently.

On the DAB radio favourites page.. iv added favourites but they won’t change station when pressing them? Nothing happens. This screen seems like it has a bug maybe? Seems to work fine on the FM page.

I love the EV experience so far. The most noticeable thing I’m finding up in the lakes at the moment is how different the accelerator pedal works in evs. Not something which I had heard much about before or considered but to keep the car at a constant speed on varying terrain I am
Having to adjust the power with the accelerator much more than on any ICE I have driven. The right foot is up and down much more and I can’t lock in a speed by ‘feel’ keeping my foot in one position so resort to using the cruise control for longer stretches of road. Going up hill in particular It feels like I really have to floor it to keep up speed. I may just be too used and spoilt driving big-engined diesel cars over the last few years! And it’s been about 10 years since I drove petrol lol.

I wish that we had the KERS when using cruise control - will this ever come to the ZS? I don’t imagine a software update will change that but I believe the MG4 does.
Loving everything else about the car at the minute especially not having to put in £110 of diesel everytime to fill up.

Any thoughts by more experienced or fellow new owners of the ZS (facelift) would be welcome!

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!
And a happy new year.

Cheers,

Ed
Would have to be a pretty steep hill if you have to floor it to keep it up to speed. Maybe you are using Eco. Normal or sport should resolve that.

I’m on the ZS EV Essence in Australia, which is a bit different to yours but the lane keeping is shockingly bad. I think it lasted a few days before we turned it off. We still turn it on on occasion just to check that it’s still as bad as we thought! First drive home after I picked it up was almost 2 hours (we live in the country, so some major multi-lane highways, some country single lane highways) and I told my partner that I was going to have to return the car as the handling was so bad it felt out of control. Quickly realised that it was constantly adjusting and readjusting itself and I was bouncing about like you described. My partner drove behind me way one point to watch and we kept a phone line open, and the over correction (and unnecessary correction) was apparent to him driving behind. My old car I would get less than half a dozen “beeps” on the drive home - the MG I get literally hundreds.

Would have to be a pretty steep hill if you have to floor it to keep it up to speed. Maybe you are using Eco. Normal or sport should resolve that.
It doesn't matter what mode you're in, you still get full power if you floor it.
Pedal map.png

I’m on the ZS EV Essence in Australia, which is a bit different to yours but the lane keeping is shockingly bad. I think it lasted a few days before we turned it off. We still turn it on on occasion just to check that it’s still as bad as we thought! First drive home after I picked it up was almost 2 hours (we live in the country, so some major multi-lane highways, some country single lane highways) and I told my partner that I was going to have to return the car as the handling was so bad it felt out of control. Quickly realised that it was constantly adjusting and readjusting itself and I was bouncing about like you described. My partner drove behind me way one point to watch and we kept a phone line open, and the over correction (and unnecessary correction) was apparent to him driving behind. My old car I would get less than half a dozen “beeps” on the drive home - the MG I get literally hundreds.
Use Pilot (two pulls on the stalk) its much better.

Use Pilot (two pulls on the stalk) its much better.
And if you want the mg pilot set up of lane assist but not ACC then set the ACC speed lower than you want to travel and then use the 'gas' pedal to go the speed you want. This may turn off the regen though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom