MGZSEV first service

Tom Hartley

Established Member
Reaction score
Our MGZSEV is 12 months old, has covered 4400 miles and today had its first service at a local MG Dealership, they did not supply the vehicle.

I waited for it and after about an hour and a half the service had been completed and the EV had been washed.

The service paperwork I was handed on payment of £102 was marked: "No Service Book" and I was advised I could bring it in later to be stamped.

I asked about software updates and was further advised any required would have been done.

In that paperwork the HV battery State of Charge and State of Health was recorded as SOC 90% and SOH 95%.

The supplying dealer did not provide a "Service Book", I later Googled this and the result indicated the records were only electronically recorded i.e. no "book".

I put the EV on charge after the service but it still required to be locked with the doors closed, albeit I could open the boot and the charging continued.

So, from owners experience:

1. Is there a physical Service Book?

2. Is £102 for the service excessive?

3. How can I find out if the software is up to date?

And

4. Is the HV Battery state normal for the EVs mileage and age?

I had a query about the service book. The car I PXed when i bought the MG5 had its log online and the dealer wanted me to get receipts rather than access it.

Can we (or more importantly) other dealers access the MG site (should I sell it) see it?

It's worrying that your dealer is so clueless as to not know there is no service book. The service is recorded electronically on the MG system, you better make sure they've actually done this properly with the service book stamping talk!!

The price is average for a 1st service but you could have opted for the low mileage service due to your small mileage these are about £35 I think.

I expect they've just guessed a figure for the battery state of health, with your mileage it should be over 99%. (mine is 99.3% after over 16k) If it actually was down to 95% at just over 4k miles, your battery would be faulty! You can check this yourself with a £10 plug in OBD device and free app, search for it elsewhere here on the site for more info.

You do still need an update for the charging on AC whilst unlocked if it bothers you. There was also an update to protect the high voltage fuse from blowing that is meant to be done at service time. There is also an update for the media unit to help stop it crashing/re-booting occasionally so you might want to specifically ask if these were done.

Last edited:
The service paperwork I was handed on payment of £102 was marked: "No Service Book" and I was advised I could bring it in later to be stamped.
I agree with all the points made by @Paulie68 .
No there is NO hard copy paper service book.
A lot of manufactures are doing this now.
Keeping a digital copy instead.
Another ploy to get you to the dealership.
You still have your paper receipt for the work carried out.
With that low mileage, a figure of between £50 & £60 should have matched their low user plans.
A relative had his car serviced only last week, they wanted to charge him just over £100.
When he mentioned the low mileage user cost, they reduced the price to £57 I think he said.
They where NOT happy doing so !.
I am fairly confident they have not applied any updates either to be honest.
They tend to blank out the service update instructions from MG and do there own thing, which amounts to very little !.
Some dealers are very proactive and some just don’t give a toss really.
The difference in levels of service between dealers are HUGE.
Some are just not confident working on EV’s period, I think.
Still hoping the whole EV thing will be a passing fad that will go away.
Hanging on to there beloved ICE cars.

Thank you Paulie68 for your reply.
I suspected the service book request etc was incorrect but as this came from the servicing mechanic I currently cannot see the value in asking the same garage the same questions e.g. the updates.
I have sent an enquiry to MG via their internal messaging system re the book and the battery but still sought tap into owners experience and knowledge.

Our MGZSEV is 12 months old, has covered 4400 miles and today had its first service at a local MG Dealership, they did not supply the vehicle.

I waited for it and after about an hour and a half the service had been completed and the EV had been washed.

I asked about software updates and was further advised any required would have been done.

In that paperwork the HV battery State of Charge and State of Health was recorded as SOC 90% and SOH 95%.

The supplying dealer did not provide a "Service Book", I later Googled this and the result indicated the records were only electronically recorded i.e. no "book".

I put the EV on charge after the service but it still required to be locked with the doors closed, albeit I could open the boot and the charging continued.

So, from owners experience:

1. Is there a physical Service Book?

2. Is £102 for the service excessive?

3. How can I find out if the software is up to date?

And

4. Is the HV Battery state normal for the EVs mileage and age?
I am very surprised that your SOH would be down to 95% at 12months/4400miles.
It is also a very round number given it is given to 2 decimal places.

It all sounds very suspicious to me. I would speculate that they have just made that up.
If so I personally would be very angry about paying for that so called service.
I would recommend spending £10 on a odb2 dongle and checking the SOH for yourself, along with the software versions.

I am very surprised that your SOH would be down to 95% at 12months/4400miles.
It is also a very round number given it is given to 2 decimal places.

It all sounds very suspicious to me. I would speculate that they have just made that up.
If so I personally would be very angry about paying for that so called service.
I would recommend spending £10 on a odb2 dongle and checking the SOH for yourself, along with the software versions.
I totally agree @JodyS21
With that little mileage recorded, I would be expecting nothing less than a SOH of 100% ?????.
Something not right there.
If that number IS correct, then I am pretty sure we are thinking along the same lines regarding BMS Versions here ??.
The frequency of these services are not required with an EV.
Every two years is plenty in my book.
In many cases, the cars are submitted for a yearly service and very little is getting done.
Why - Simply they don’t need anything doing !.
It needs to be done yearly to comply with the warranty, but the work content done by the dealers appears to be very little indeed.
At least they ( some not all ) should be checking for service updates and applying them under the MG protocol for God’s sake !.
Did the OP get the recent SA 0020 infotainment software update done ??.
I think we can assume NOT.
That is a USB update, that should be a simple task for any decent EV Tech.
Unbelievable that owners are having to submit an question direct to MG CS to find out the answers to questions that the dealer SHOULD know after a simple 2 hour service on their cars.
I wonder what MG CS thinks about all of this ?.
Unimpressed to put it mildly I would think !.

No Bear although on reflection one featured on posters in the dealership.
I am unsure as to how to confirm the AA cover, whilst the folder the service paperwork was in contained an AA card its rear i.e. area to be completed by the dealer was blank.

No Bear although on reflection one featured on posters in the dealership.
I am unsure as to how to confirm the AA cover, whilst the folder the service paperwork was in contained an AA card its rear i.e. area to be completed by the dealer was blank.
Some people get their bear on the day, if the dealer has stock.
My dealer had no stock, but it was ordered by them and it arrived by post.
The dealer should renew your AA cover automatically, but it will not appear on your invoice receipt.
I would ask the dealer if your bear has been ordered and if your AA membership has been renewed.
Then in a couple of weeks, ring the number on the AA card and ask them if your car is showing on the system and are your covered for 2021 - 22.

Thanks Lovemyev, sadly from my experience, `'asking" etc would currently seem to be a fruitless exercise albeit ringing the AA when time has elapsed will be my course of action regarding cover, in the hope I do not need them before that time period.

Thanks Lovemyev, sadly from my experience, `'asking" etc would currently seem to be a fruitless exercise albeit ringing the AA when time has elapsed will be my course of action regarding cover, in the hope I do not need them before that time period.
Tom, truly that is really sad situation to find yourself in.
Finding that you are unable to get basic questions answered by that dealership that has just taken your money for their, so called services.
Maybe, I am a just a little less intolerant of poor customer service than you.
I would be knocking on the service mangers door in the morning, without an appointment !.
Just not good enough !.

Tom, truly that is really sad situation to find yourself in.
Finding that you are unable to get basic questions answered by that dealership that has just taken your money for their, so called services.
Maybe, I am a just a little less intolerant of poor customer service than you.
I would be knocking on the service mangers door in the morning, without an appointment !.
Just not good enough !.

Funnily enough there was no manager at the dealership but I did contact a nearby one
in the same dealerships group, he advised he would look into the issues raised.

My dealer gave me another AA card with the new renewal expiry date written on the back.

What dealer was it?

It sounds like you should have had the low mileage service which should be about £30.

Have a read of this thread for some detail of the various costs. It's about service plans but gives detail of the cost of a normal 1st service versus the cost of a low mileage one

An update.
Apparently the manager looking into things is now on holiday and seemingly forgot to recontact me.
The reply from MG was: No service books, digital records can be obtained.
Basically as regards the battery health, "refer to your dealer on how to achieve and maintain high battery status".
I have left a message for the manager and responded to MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom