MGZSev mk2 Long Range Trophy (with sun roof) - stuck in neutral

Empty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Has anyone else had the issue as follows:
  • Start the car as normal (foot on brake)
  • Wait for logo to change to ready
  • Change to reverse (with foot on brake)
  • Reverse out
  • When changing to drive, gets stuck in neutral so, if on a hill, just keeps rolling back
I have had this happen intermittently, and am struggling to figure out what the trigger is. Most times turning off and on again clears it. Today, my neighbour and myself had to push it back into the driveway, which then seemed to clear it. The only trigger I have seen before was that it seemed to be linked to charging from AC, but today that wasn't the case. As in, after charging and unplugging, this has happened about 3 times when I have gone to drive straight after.

So the question is, has anyone else had this issue, have they figured out possible triggers for it happening, and finally have they managed to get MG to fix it?

The car has the r16 update (which I think is the latest for the ZS Trophy without amazon).

When starting make sure you keep your foot on the brake until the ready sign appears on the dash. Releasing the break pedal too early can sometimes interfere with the boot up procedure. Turning the car off and on should clear the fault.

I had a similar issue, and in my case it was because I was not closing the drivers door properly. I think the same happens with passenger door. The car will effectively go into Neutral even when D or R are selected. You may find a warning showing in the speedo area.

When starting make sure you keep your foot on the brake until the ready sign appears on the dash. Releasing the break pedal too early can sometimes interfere with the boot up procedure. Turning the car off and on should clear the fault.
Thanks Tony - I think we have been doing this but it is one of those things where you do it so often in automatic get the car started mode, you can't remember if you did it or not. I will make sure I am doing this and see if it still happens.

I had a similar issue, and in my case it was because I was not closing the drivers door properly. I think the same happens with passenger door. The car will effectively go into Neutral even when D or R are selected. You may find a warning showing in the speedo area.
Good shout. I will check for this too. The challenge with us is, our driveway slopes, and we reverse out into the road slow enough that you aren't sure if it is the natural creep of the car moving you out or if it is just rolling down in neutral.

Thanks for all your replies. Will try and these and keep an eye out to rule these out.

Good shout. I will check for this too. The challenge with us is, our driveway slopes, and we reverse out into the road slow enough that you aren't sure if it is the natural creep of the car moving you out or if it is just rolling down in neutral.
Maybe worth considering reversing up into your drive, then you drive out nose first. If I recall correctly (which I may not be), is it illegal to reverse onto the highway?

Maybe worth considering reversing up into your drive, then you drive out nose first. If I recall correctly (which I may not be), is it illegal to reverse onto the highway?
Thanks - highway code says reverse in and drive out if you can. It is illegal reversing from a side road into a main road. That all been said, I try to normally park so that I can drive straight out like you suggest (nose first). Only problem is, I have to park front towards the house to charge. I will update this thread if I spot the issue again and what might have caused it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom