MGZSEV Starter switch

Tom Hartley

Established Member
Reaction score
Our 2020 MGZSEVs starter switch has started to peel, please see the attached.
The car has only travelled 12500.
Has anyone else experienced this issue and resolved it under the warranty?

Attachments

• MG Starter switch.jpeg
    MG Starter switch.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 68
Ha ha , I believe it is a vehicle not driver defect, I was really hoping for helpful comments but thanks any way.

Many thanks

Further investigations have confirmed the switch issue is cosmetic as RobinH indicated.
The cars build quality is another reason why I will avoid replacing it with another MG.

Did you buy the car new Tom? I agree with D Bedford that the damage looks like an external factor such as a solvent. Nail varnish or remover would be a classic. I don't think it would be too expensive to repair, but it might take a year to get the part!

I bought the car pre registered with 9 miles on it and the switch showed no signs of failure, oh and I don't use nail varnish.
As for the build quality, when sales outlets describe rust on an MG as "browning" and in the winter internal condensation levels are enough to support a gold fish (due to that build level) its difficult to agree with anyone who thinks the build is good, unless of course they live in arid climate and don't wear cosmetic products .

I think the build quality (on mine) is very good, and I also have a mercedes e class and a jaguar to compare. The condensation issue is because the heating/ventilation system tends to be off to save battery. On ICE cars the hvac system usually runs continuously.

I think the build quality (on mine) is very good, and I also have a mercedes e class and a jaguar to compare. The condensation issue is because the heating/ventilation system tends to be off to save battery. On ICE cars the hvac system usually runs continuously.
Condensation in zs is usually / nearly always because the setting is on either auto or recirc, change to outside and problem will go away

Just ensure that the HVAC has not defaulted to recirc mode ON ( Gen 1 ) as this will cause the car to cloud / mist up the internal glass very quickly !.
We have owned both Gen 1 & Gen 2 models of the ZS EV and the only time we have encountered bad clouding / misting of the internal glass, is if we enter the car with very wet clothing.
When activating the HVAC ( if the recirc mode is used ) it will cloud / mist the inside glass of the car in minutes !.
With recirc mode engaged, the flap in the heater box is effectively closed off.
This prevents any external air flow from circulating though the cabin space.
As a result, any trapped damp air already in the cabin is instantly pulled back through the HVAC system.
With the blower fan's speed set on a high ( trying in vain to clear the glass ) this just helps push that damp moist air right through ever available vent that is open in the car at that point in time.
This almost guarantees the cabin to mist up almost instantly.
On the Gen 2 facelift model with climate control, the system can default back to auto with recirc in operation.
This may go unnoticed as there is no switch / warning light like on the Gen 1 model.
First sign of any misting starting to develop on the front corner of the side windows and you can pretty much guarantee the system is in recirc mode.
Quickly check on the HVAC screen will almost certainly confirm this.
Recirc mode does have its uses, but not when there is any moisture present in the cabin space.

Just an update on the "Starter Switch" that kicked off this thread, contrary to the view the issue was a cosmetic failing and not covered by the warranty ..... suprise suprise .... its not and ours was replaced at the third annual service under warranty.
As for the previous contributions about condensation and build quality, those of you without issues are lucky for over the last 3 years our car ( fully serviced by an excellent MG dealer ) has not reflected other comments or praise.

Just an update on the "Starter Switch" that kicked off this thread, contrary to the view the issue was a cosmetic failing and not covered by the warranty ..... suprise suprise .... its not and ours was replaced at the third annual service under warranty.
As for the previous contributions about condensation and build quality, those of you without issues are lucky for over the last 3 years our car ( fully serviced by an excellent MG dealer ) has not reflected other comments or praise.
Glad you had the gear selector top cover replaced under warranty.
I recall another owner have a similar issue and it was also addressed FOC.
I think this was because the silver top plate was inexpensive to order and was replaced quickly.
Therefore the dealer made the call not to charge the customer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom