• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Michelin Green X tyres - 215/50R17 91W replacements ... and also - run flat alternatives

Terry2

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have 4 tyres with the above name on my ZS EV (March 2021 regn). I'm looking to buy a spare tyre for emergencies (I get 2 punctures a year on average) but I don't seem to find any online with that name. Am I missing a trick? I've seen references to Michelin Primacy but don't know if this is interchangeable with the Green X one.

The other thing, is that since I have quite a high frequency of punctures I have always used run flats. Has anyone had experience of using them on the ZS EV? When I bought the car (from a non-MG dealer) they said that getting compatible run flats for the car was not possible.

Any help/guidance on all the above appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Michelin Green X.jpg
    Michelin Green X.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 214
Runflat tyres require a special/different type of rim. It is not possible to fit runflat tyres to standard rims.

Runflat tyres require a special/different type of rim. It is not possible to fit runflat tyres to standard rims.
This is not right
Run Flat Tyres can be fitted to normal alloy wheels however, the vehicle must be fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in order to alert the driver in the event of a puncture.

You may be thinking of the PAX runflat tyres that Mercedes used for a bit that was a special rim

I get the feeling that runflats will be hellishly noisy on a car like the MG. Because of the lack of engine noise the car tends to amplify all the road noise, and the harder tyres will make that even worse...

This is not right
Run Flat Tyres can be fitted to normal alloy wheels however, the vehicle must be fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in order to alert the driver in the event of a puncture.

You may be thinking of the PAX runflat tyres that Mercedes used for a bit that was a special rim
Sorry, you are right. Runflat tyres can be fitted to a standard rim. But is not recommended. They will not function as a runflat. Dedicated runflat rims have an extra extended hump/lip which acts as a bead lock to ensure that the heavy reinforced sidewall's bead of the runflat tyre remains seated when driven on flat. When fitted to standard rims there is no guarantee the runflats bead will remain seated when driven on flat, potentially resulting in the bead unseating and the tyre coming off the rim especially when cornering. I work for Yokohama NZ and for this reason we do not recommend or warranty the fitting of runflat tyres to standard rims.

I work for Yokohama NZ and for this reason we do not recommend
Most cars have type H2 rims (double hump) nowadays should be perfectly safe to run runflats along with tpms to warn you of a deflate tyre as you should reduce speed bit like if a space saver fitted
Type EH2 & EH2+ (extended humps) I think you're talking about are the preferred rims for runflats for some brands but take bmw for instance factory fit run flats to H2 rims

Yes,
Most cars have type H2 rims (double hump) nowadays should be perfectly safe to run runflats along with tpms to warn you of a deflate tyre as you should reduce speed bit like if a space saver fitted
Type EH2 & EH2+ (extended humps) I think you're talking about are the preferred rims for runflats for some brands but take bmw for instance factory fit run flats to H2 rims
Yes, Yokohama ZPS (runflat) tyres require extended hump rims in order to work. When flat Yokohama can be driven upto 80kmh for no more than 80kms, and Yokohama instruct not to repair theirs after having been driven on flat.

Attachments

• 20220713_162325.jpg
    20220713_162325.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 121
Yes,

Yes, Yokohama ZPS (runflat) tyres require extended hump rims in order to work. When flat Yokohama can be driven upto 80kmh for no more than 80kms, and Yokohama instruct not to repair theirs after having been driven on flat.
Ironically that picture shows a H2 rim 🤔😋

And the ZS Gen1 uses H2

Screenshot_20220713_055451.jpg
i can't see why gen 2 would be any different but if anyone takes off there wheel can you post a pic to confirm

Yes,

no manufacturer recommends repairing a run flat after it has been driven flat... the damage done to the side wall will severely decrease the structural integrity of the tyre... run flats should always be replaced after they have been driven on whilst flat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom