Tyres and replacements for the well matched Michelin Primacy 3 tyres fitted as OEM .

Delboy102000

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Has anybody yet replaced the tires fitted to the Zs ev from the original Michelin is fitted as oem.

Michelin primacy 4 seems To be much noisier than the threes and so has anybody come up with good alternative tires for the car once the originals have worn out.

Has anybody yet replaced the tires fitted to the Zs ev from the original Michelin is fitted as oem.

Michelin primacy 4 seems To be much noisier than the threes and so has anybody come up with good alternative tires for the car once the originals have worn out.
To be honest, I am find it pretty difficult to find / beat a tyre noise rating of LESS than the original 69 Db rating of the Michelin OEM tyres ?.

I got a sidewall puncture (unrepairable) on one rear tyre after only about 1000km so had to replace it. The tyre place said the Primacy 3 was no longer available and the Primacy 4, though with a slightly different tread pattern, would do the trick. I've noticed no difference in noise, or wear.

Once I have to replace all 4 I may look at something else so am interested in other replies here.

Thank you for posting the tire report and when you look at the picture overall it would seem to me that the good year efficiency two is the best prospect overall having low noise and is good in all other areas and a lot cheaper than the Michelin.

I don't know on the zs ev but i replaced the tyres on my leaf with Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 and they are quite quiet, also very good on wet roads. If available I had continental ecocontact on my previous cars and did 33k miles in them. not sure about noise on those though as it was an ICE vehicle.

Just plug your reg into black circles or similar and see what's available. Weigh up what's most important to you.

Are you getting to where you need to change your tyres? I assume much higher wear on the fronts, we've done 9000 miles and they look like nearly new.

Anybody got ideas on tyre life?

What prompted the question is the fact that my car lost a tyre through non repairable puncture when nearly new and finding a matching replacement has been difficult if not shortly to be impossible as the Primacy 3 St’s are not current now. Initially a Primacy 4 was fitted which did not mix.
Funnily enough my instinct was that Goodyear Efficiency 2’s would be good and the report seems to endorse them as one of the best when taking into account noise, the grip in various conditions and price

Are you getting to where you need to change your tyres? I assume much higher wear on the fronts, we've done 9000 miles and they look like nearly new.

Anybody got ideas on tyre life?
I can't comment on other peoples cars, but we have covered 16,000 miles and they are no where near close to getting replaced yet.

What prompted the question is the fact that my car lost a tyre through non repairable puncture when nearly new and finding a matching replacement has been difficult if not shortly to be impossible as the Primacy 3 St’s are not current now. Initially a Primacy 4 was fitted which did not mix.
Funnily enough my instinct was that Goodyear Efficiency 2’s would be good and the report seems to endorse them as one of the best when taking into account noise, the grip in various conditions and price
What problem did you have with the Primacy 4 replacement? I did the same but haven't noticed any issues.

Thank you for posting the tire report and when you look at the picture overall it would seem to me that the good year efficiency two is the best prospect overall having low noise and is good in all other areas and a lot cheaper than the Michelin.
I had the primacy 3 on Karoq they were done at 11000 so changed to good year efficiency believe they only came out last year and are meant to last longer and about same dB oh and cheaper.

I had the primacy 3 on Karoq they were done at 11000 so changed to good year efficiency believe they only came out last year and are meant to last longer and about same dB oh and cheaper.
I had Good Year efficiency on my first two MG3's, they were excellent, so I presume you refer to the Efficiency 2's which on paper are also really good.

The Primacy 4 was put on the front on its own which was wrong anyway, but had higher noise levels noticeable and different handling character to the Primacy 3.

By good luck I managed to get hold of the Primacy 3 to replace but when the time comes it will be the Good Years for me definitely

I took the oe tyres off within the first month and went over to Hankook Kinergy 4S2. Wasn't risking driving on snow with what was fitted. 10k miles later, and they're still doing OK.

Ordered Continental all season contact 2s. As the temps got lower i am finding the front tires scrabbling more than last year. Also looked at the Michelin cross climate 2s.
The gap between summer / winter tires and cross climates is now so small that its a no brainer (in my opinion). Wet handling, fuel efficiency and noise is very good, whilst the low temp / wet / snow handling as tested as excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom