Miles Roberts' in-car review of the MG HS PHEV for Chorley Group

I don't understand the electric motor spinning at 1600rpm when stopped.
I can only give you what the readout said but would put that down to gearing, must go through some gearing that steps it up. As we do not have access to a workshop manual we are not in the know. If I can I will get a photo next time.

Thanks. I wonder why it’s spinning when you’re staionary?

Thanks. I wonder why it’s spinning when you’re staionary?
See left photo

1630858995489.png

Thanks - you said ‘when I stop the ICE continues to run 1100 Rpm and the EV motor at 1600 Rpm and with in 3 minutes had put 2% in to the battery’ My question was why is the ev motor spinning at 1600 rpm while the car is stopped? Sorry if I’ve missed something or I’m being a bit thick 🤪

Thanks - you said ‘when I stop the ICE continues to run 1100 Rpm and the EV motor at 1600 Rpm and with in 3 minutes had put 2% in to the battery’ My question was why is the ev motor spinning at 1600 rpm while the car is stopped? Sorry if I’ve missed something or I’m being a bit thick 🤪
The motor can work in two ways, if you supply power to it will work as a motor that motor must have a drive through gears to the wheels. These gears increase the drive ie one turn of the EV motor then on the power out side of the gears it could be 3 turns, a 1 to 3 ratio. Now if you supply that EV motor a drive to it then it turns in to generator. So if the ICE drive turn once through the same gear ratio then you see the EV motor would have a high turn ratio. So that is why the EV motor shows a higher RPM.
same as a normal gearbox in a car but you can increase the number of turns to the drive wheel by charging gear.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom