Misted front screen

Printer Man

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, has anybody else had an issue with the front screen misting up regularly needing the screen demister to be used to remove.

Hi, I’ve found that both my MG and Prius PHV mist up easier than any of my previous cars I’ve owned. You’ll notice that you can’t run the car without the fan running unless you turn the whole system off. Which leads me to think that MG recognise the issue exists.

Yes it does, you could leave the windows open slightly or look to purchase one of these as I have done today...it’s an Amazon link..

Tesco has these in at the moment for the same price if anyone prefers to pick them up in person.

I will let you know how I get on with them once they arrive, will they make a big difference?. I hope so...

I have those in the MG and the Prius, they do work, this morning was a very wet rainy day and there was no mist on the screen. It helps if the screen is clean as well.

I've had this mist issue on the screen but I thought it was due to Costa Rica tropical weather.

Last edited:
I use demister pads (£1 from amazon) to wipe the windows inside for a quick solution now. And if condensation whilst driving, blast with the heat and aircon option. But yes, the EV does seem to get condensation quite easily but I suppose most modern cars do now esp in UK winter...

My first car dehumidifier bag arrived yesterday and it did seem to make a difference, will get another one and leave both in the car to draw in the damp air, will leave them both sat on the front dash by the window.

Are you sure you haven't got a slight water leak somewhere? Might be worth going over every inch of carpet looking for a damp patch...just a thought...we've had lots of rain lately.

No as dry as a bone it’s just the change in air temperature and generally it’s okay on a normal day, but gets a little misted when it rains. Clears very quickly when the air flow is switched on, but found the dehumidifier helps absorb some of the natural air moisture, which creates this in the first place.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

I had a horrendous drive on Tuesday night back from Aberdeen in biblical rain, so headlights, windscreen wipers everything going and my GOM dropping like a stone!

Even with the AC set on, from time to time I also needed the windscreen boost. I rapid charged to 80% at Inverurie and just made the 87 miles home with only 12 miles "in the tank"!!

I've ordered a dehumidifier pad too now!! Many thanks.

In all fairness that weather will affect all cars, difference being we like to keep the fans off as much as possible to increase range, but with fans on you shouldn’t have a problem. I noticed a slight difference yesterday with myself and wife in the car, but I have ordered another one to have two in the car at all times, but keep a check on the packs as to when they need to be recharged via the microwave.

My Prius was terrible before I put the dehumidifier bag in. Only the bottom half of the screen would demist quickly, the rest would take about 15 minutes, I think it's to do with the acute rake of the screen, the blower seems to be blowing straight up instead of with the angle of the screen.
If you get two bags, I'd put one on the dash and one on the rear parcel shelf, maybe behind one of the headrests to prevent it flying forward. I have the one in the MG on the dash and the Prius one on the crossbar of the rear retractable hatch cover, which works well.

I have found that the readiness for the screen to mist can be can be down to a dirty screen (inside). It doesn't help that it's been so wet lately either. A film builds up on the inside of the screen and may not be apparent unless you are driving into a low sun when it becomes visible. To clean this off I use one of the screen cleaner sprays available for motor factors. I have read that this film can be caused by fumes given off the 'plastic' interior components and it has affected previous vehicles I have owned before the ZS EV. Before cleaning my screen the misting was very bad, after, negligible and quickly cleared with a blast of the aircon. Once the car was up to temp there are no further problems. I recommend that the screen is cleaned as part of your regular process. Oh, and if you constantly wipe the screen with your hand or cloth this will generally leave marks on the screen and make matters worse.

I have found that the readiness for the screen to mist can be can be down to a dirty screen (inside). It doesn't help that it's been so wet lately either. A film builds up on the inside of the screen and may not be apparent unless you are driving into a low sun when it becomes visible. To clean this off I use one of the screen cleaner sprays available for motor factors. I have read that this film can be caused by fumes given off the 'plastic' interior components and it has affected previous vehicles I have owned before the ZS EV. Before cleaning my screen the misting was very bad, after, negligible and quickly cleared with a blast of the aircon. Once the car was up to temp there are no further problems. I recommend that the screen is cleaned as part of your regular process. Oh, and if you constantly wipe the screen with your hand or cloth this will generally leave marks on the screen and make matters worse.
Thank you for this very useful feedback, I will try this too.

Yep, all useful stuff.
I applied some Rain-X Anti-fog liquid on to the screen, but not to much advantage.
I'm now off to clean my windscreen.

Also, I'm getting mudflaps fitted all round when it's next in the garage in 2 weeks time as the amount of spray that is drawn back onto the tailgate and rear window on wet roads is incredible.

I found that a normal hybrid (Lexus 450h) will take ages to heat up in the winter due to the car going into EV mode at every opportunity and thus the engine delaying heating up. However, my Prius PHV with a heat pump almost instantly heats up and demises the car. It also had the function to precondition the car even when plugged in, this using domestic electricity to heat the car.
My tip is to keep the car in recirculating mode to save on energy as you’re not constantly dehumidifying fresh air prior to in entering the cabin.

I found that a normal hybrid (Lexus 450h) will take ages to heat up in the winter due to the car going into EV mode at every opportunity and thus the engine delaying heating up. However, my Prius PHV with a heat pump almost instantly heats up and demises the car. It also had the function to precondition the car even when plugged in, this using domestic electricity to heat the car.
My tip is to keep the car in recirculating mode to save on energy as you’re not constantly dehumidifying fresh air prior to in entering the cabin.
I find it worse with the recirculating mode on, better when I have fresh air coming in, but that’s me I’m strange anyway..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom