Modification of home charger

bigron

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Afternoon on this sunny Sunday.

anybody know if you can convert a non tethered charger to a tethered one as I am fed up of having to keep getting the cable out of the boot
thanks

Afternoon on this sunny Sunday.

anybody know if you can convert a non tethered charger to a tethered one as I am fed up of having to keep getting the cable out of the boot
thanks
Buy another type 2 cable and leave it plugged in ?
Then buy a socket holder for the other end
Screenshot_20230402-140142.png

I thought of that but two things. 1 it’s liable to get stolen and 2 it would stick out and be liable to get broken

I think you miss read the message. I was wondering if you can change the charger to tethered instead of keep having to get the cable out of the boot

No I didn't miss read the message as I asked what EVSE (charge point) you have and you replied by telling us what car you have got😄

I think there is a thread on here about PodPoints, just put a few words in the search bar.

Not sure on the Pod Point wall box, but I have one of the older type Rolec dumb units and the wiring to the coms module is different between tethered and non tethered.
Doable on the Rolec, but wiring changes required.
Try contacting Pod Point themselves maybe?.

I have taken the front off the charger, the wiring for the socket is straight forward but there seams to be wiring for the flap over the socket, iam assuming it’s a safety feature….

I have taken the front off the charger, the wiring for the socket is straight forward but there seams to be wiring for the flap over the socket, iam assuming it’s a safety feature….
I know that it might seem straightforward but I would recommend that you get it done by a professional and certified (following installation the system needs to be safety checked again and certified). Contact podpoint and they may help. Any work like this is best done by a professional unless you are qualified yourself. If you do not and have issues podpoint will not help.

The socket in the box is liable to have a lock in it, to lock the cable in place, if you take away the socket the charger will not be able to read the lock state and will not start a charge.
Your other issue is that EV chargers must be installed by a qualified sparky who must certify the work, if you mess with it you might be liable for anything nasty that happens if it does (fyi :)

What I did for my ZS EV was to put the supplied charger out for cell balancing charges and install a 7 Kw charger outlet programmed to feed excess power from my 5 Kw solar roof panels to the car before feeding it back to the grid. OK, so I live in Northern New Zealand at 36 South, but over the first year over 93% of my driving has been using solar power despite a very bad summer.
My type 2 plug is locked in place unless the car is unlocked. The real point is that a plug in mains charger is limited to about 2.2 kW hours per hour of charge in NZ and about 3 kW in the UK because you have 13 Amp outlets instead of our 10 Amp ones. Under good conditions my fixed installation is giving about 4 kW hours per hour from solar energy and that supplies almost all my driving. So far electric vehicles are much more practical in NZ because of our weather and latitude. The only problem so far is an inadequate number of charging stations but this is finally being adressed
An odd new problem has arisen lately, I have a mobility sticker (I am 82) and far too often see drivers without one taking up mobility parking spaces. Now something new the other day. The driver of what I refer to as "Gas Buggies" parking his car in one of the only 2 charging points in a local retail area!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom