More miles/kWh urban or not ?

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Before today I had only done short, 6 mile round trip, journeys in the ZS and was consistently getting 3.4-3.6 miles/kWh.
Today I went on a 200 mile trip and got 4.5 miles/kWh, which indicates to me that it's the other way round to what the WLT figures say. ?

Before today I had only done short, 6 mile round trip, journeys in the ZS and was consistently getting 3.4-3.6 miles/kWh.
Today I went on a 200 mile trip and got 4.5 miles/kWh, which indicates to me that it's the other way round to what the WLT figures say. ?

You were getting much more than the 3.4 to 3.6 on your short runs. A quirk of the car is it starts at a default figure of about 3.2 when you set off and the longer you drive, the more it tunes to the actual average for the trip. I've found mine takes up to about 20 miles to get accurate. So your trips have been too short for this to happen until now, but I'd expect you've really been getting 4 or more on your short trips, certainly if they've been at lower speeds :)

Makes sense, that explains why the average figure had not dropped after 300 miles or so at what I assumed to be 3.4/3.5. (y)
It was on 3.9 average when I got it with 10 miles on the odo and after the 200(ish) mile run today it's gone up to 4.0.

@Paulie68 Explanation is spot on.
I would even say the start defaults are lower and in some systems there are no defaults and it takes 10 to 20 miles for the system to have enough data to start functioning normally.
It is always a bit difficult with a new EV. What I have learnt is one should not rush or panic or come to conclusions base on only personal limited data.
I thought my car/odometer had something wrong when I got my ZS EV. It was showing a accumulated efficiency of 2.9 for a while. So I went by the dealers. They said the odometer was stuck. I thought only analogue odometer get stuck and not digital ones. Anyway they reset it and it has since been OK.
As for the WLTP / EPA, they have taken years to evolve and are currently the best known systems worldwide for EV efficiency assessments and comparison although some refuse to accept that.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom