More problems

CaptainK

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Over the years I have driven almost every car there is, from a bubble car up to a Rolls Royce, db5 and even a Lamborghini. So having driven company cars, mostly German, I’d like to think I know what is a great car and what is a poor car. Now, I have recently inherited a 2021 MG HS Hybrid after starting a new job, and initially I was fairly impressed. It looks good, has a good NCap rating, and seemed to drive ok. However, my confidence was quickly smashed after only a few weeks of driving the car.

Firstly, on it’s 40k service, both rear disks and pads needed to be replaced, not because of wear, but because the disks were pitted and rusty, the dealer had to order the parts as they did not have them in stock, then I had to bring the car back because I was initially told they did not have any gearbox oil in stock, What, really! Actually, I found out the real reason was the main dealer did not have the machine to pump the oil into the gearbox, after spending out nearly £1,100 for an oil change gearbox oil change, rear disk and pads, and other small service items, I was beginning to think this is not a cheap car to run.

At the time I had complained about rough running when accelerating either from standing or on an overtake. The dealer said that they couldn’t find anything, however, the problem still continued, so back to the dealers, and I told them, it was definitely felt like a misfire, after checking, guess what a misfire on cylinder 3, a coil pack malfunction. Part was ordered, I was beginning to think this dealer didn’t have any parts in stock, so back it went. Picking the car up I was told, ‘your car is purring’, and it seemed to have fixed it, until just over a week, it’s back to normal, in fact now the engine management light use to flash, now it has stayed on, with a message‘Engine Malfunction, Consultant Manual’. So I again had to book the car back in.

My conclusion, I wouldn’t trust or touch one of these cars again, even if it was given to me, well it has, and I don’t want it. I’d love to know if anyone else has had similar issues.

I think you have just been unlucky, every manufacturer at some stage has a problem car. None of the issues you have experienced are common issues otherwise this forum would be awash with complaints. The car is generally a good car, the majority of complaints are more niggles than anything else. I wouldn't let it put you off getting another one at a later date.

I agree with Kerno. It sounds like you have been very unlucky with your car, perhaps as it is a work vehicle it has been thrashed or abused in the past by previous staff, or have you had from new? As for your MG dealer and the inability to get parts/oil etc., I think I would change to a more efficient garage.
My MG HS PLUG in was purchased in january this year and I have had almost 20000 Klms of trouble free cheap driving with no issues at all. The MG dealership here in the Algarve have been extremely helpful and proficient and I cannot praise them enough. I am more that pleased with this car.

guys I think you are probably right. After the dealer investigating the fault, it turns out that it was a cracked plug. Although all plugs were replaced when the service was done, I guess because millions are manufactured, one turned out to be faulty. I’ll keep you posted on any future issues, but I suspect that there will not be any.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom