Motorway Miles

bobs2293

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hiya,

I am strongly considering an MG5 LR for my commute. I have to ask if from your experiences is it possible?

My commute is 130mile round trip on the motorway.

Is this doable on a full charge???

Is driving at 70mph massively effecting the range?

What percentage will I finish with??

How long will it take to charge off a 7kw home charge after said trip?

Ive read all the details on the car but personal experiences are key for me to know if it’s worth going for!

Many many thanks

Hi,
I only have the SR Excite and do 70 miles a day which is about 30% of my battery. I can then add that in about 3 hours on the 7.5kwh charger.
If I set my Ohme to usecall the four hours at 5p/ kwh it can put 42% or 90 miles in.
If you got the 5 hour go faster slot you may just about do a 130 mile cheap charge each night.

Hi
It should do that no problem as estimated to be 250miles for LR version. Maybe knock off 10-15% for winter months? Should still cope with a 130 mile trip. 7Kw charger should get it fully charged from 0 in around 8-9hrs so overnight no problems.

I haven’t got mine yet but from all the user reviews on YouTube I don’t think you will have a problem.

Definitely not a problem. I drove from Kettering to Huddersfield on Saturday 128 miles for the first time. Dual and motorway. 100% to 42% battery on MG5 LR. 65mph on adaptive cruise control. It was raining most of the way, which reduces range too. 70mph would have been fine, but more speed gives more wind resistance.
1 month of driving the MG5 and zero regrets.

Last edited:
You should have no problem achieving that mileage and recharging overnight.

The standard range MG5 gets about 140 miles at 70mph in the worst conditions. You'll be absolutely fine in the LR, it's the ideal car for you. If you're ever in doubt you can just drive a little slower, but most of the time you'll be able to put your foot down without worrying.

Hiya,

I am strongly considering an MG5 LR for my commute. I have to ask if from your experiences is it possible?

Ive read all the details on the car but personal experiences are key for me to know if it’s worth going for!

Many many thanks
Let's assume your trip drains the battery to 30% worst case in winter, poor weather etc. you could recharge to 100% in approx. 7 hours from 7kw home charger (limited to 6.6kw by the car).

FWIW, the 5 is way more efficient than the ZS on the same journey and conditions, by at least 1 m/kWh, maybe more. Probably due to its shape having less drag (and possibly the smaller wheels).

To give you an idea I went from Wellingborough to Putney SW London using M1, M25, M4 then A roads.
Total mileage 95.5 miles.
Started with 100% and arrived with 55% and that is with air con on KERS on step 2.
About 70% was doing around 65, the odd 70 but also hitting pockets of traffic on the M1 around Luton and entering the M25, on the M25 and coming off to the M4.
MG pilot worked a dream in those situations.

EV Database quote 150 miles motorway in winter - which is the worse case scenario. Even if that’s correct, you’ll do 130 miles with 13.5% left in the battery, so using around 49kWh (57kWh usable x 86.5% used). It will take 7.5 hours to charge at home (49kWh / 6.6kW)

All other seasons/temperatures/speed combinations will give better results and leave more battery, so shorter recharge times.

Essentially, even worse case you should manage 130 round trip each day and charge overnight.

Even my standard range will do 130 miles and have plenty spare. If you find yourself dropping too much mileage (if it's really really cold) drive slower or stop and top up somewhere along the road.

I've got a mg5, my daily commute is 135miles, over 100 miles on motorway. I do it in one go without charging, done it since January (so I'm cold weather). Setting off in the temperatures close to or just below zero, I've used around 65~70% at worse case, averaging around 55-57mph over the entire journey. I'd say MG5 LR will be absolutely fine for you as I'm doing that mileage daily

Once a month I will be doing 162 miles with probably about 140 of motorway.

Hoping the long range will handle most of the time

Standard Range if you don't mind!
If the MG5 is short range what does that make the ZS?

Each to their own but I would always want to drive a car- possibly multiple times- before making my final decision. I remember driving a Ford Focus years ago and just couldn't get on with the shape of the seats- not something that could be adjusted unfortunately. But then again I've always been fussy...!

Hiya,

Many many thanks
Even the SR will manage a 130 mile round trip.
I've done 156 miles and still had 30 per cent left.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom