Motorway speeds feel wobbly and floaty

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So my first time on a long distance motorway drive. Compared to my Hyundai i40 with 17" wheels it felt too floaty, like if I had to swerve to avoid something I would loose control qnd it would wobble out of control.

Anyone else feel this and would larger wheels with a smaller profile sort this out?

So my first time on a long distance motorway drive. Compared to my Hyundai i40 with 17" wheels it felt too floaty, like if I had to swerve to avoid something I would loose control qnd it would wobble out of control.

Anyone else feel this and would larger wheels with a smaller profile sort this out?
No, and I was doing 85 on the M3 a few days back. Had quite an impact on the GOM though.

I haven’t felt that, however the handling in my opinion is not as sure footed as other cars I have had. However it’s not a complaint. The car handles well enough. 6k miles in as wel.

Maybe I'm just used to a harder ride then?

I mean it's the same car so it must handle exactly the same. I just did a couple of swerve tests with no one around and just felt that if anything ran out or whatever and I had to swerve it would be hard to gain control in a real situation.

Floatiness could be combination of soft suspension+high profile tyres. Probably more because of the suspension.

I haven’t felt that, however the handling in my opinion is not as sure footed as other cars I have had. However it’s not a complaint. The car handles well enough. 6k miles in as wel.
I know you do a lot of motorway miles, what range Stu do you usually get on what speeds? I did 73mph and was getting 2.9kWh, 65mph was giving me 3.6. I guess I'd manage maybe 160 - 170 miles?

Does the mode of the MG5 change the steering characteristics like it does on the ZS? For example, sport mode has heavier steering than eco mode. Also, I take it your tyres are properly inflated ;)

Does the mode of the MG5 change the steering characteristics like it does on the ZS? For example, sport mode has heavier steering than eco mode. Also, I take it your tyres are properly inflated ;)
I know sports mode stiffens the steering, but if I swerve say an angle of 10 degrees or whatever is the case I guess it makes no difference as the tyres and suspension are still the same and I don't want to put it I sports mode really if I'm doing a long range journey.

Yes tyres are all equal about 2.4 / 2.5

I do 24 miles on the motorway every week day and have found the car very sure footed in both the rain and snow on the motorway, although as you say speed kills the range so now tend to cruise with the 🚛 at sub 60 mph and enjoy the drive for a couple of minutes longer

At 3m 30s this reviewer mentions motorway stability. Not sure if this is what you mean. Other reviews have also commented on it.

At 3m 30s this reviewer mentions motorway stability. Not sure if this is what you mean. Other reviews have also commented on it.

Not really and I'm talking about the MG5. I don't put any effort to keep it in lane or change lanes, and it's not particularly noisy, it's more about if I had to swerve I feel that the car wobbles out of control a bit. So if you move the wheel left and right at high speed it wobbles more than my old cars.

I've done a few 500 mile round trips and it all feels fine. Have you checked your tyre pressures?

Hi - I've done a few 500 mile round trips and a lot of shorter motorway trips and its felt fine. Have you checked your tyre pressures? Are you carrying a lot of weight in the back?

Suspension is definitely "floatier" or "wallowier" than my old Passat (very likely the same as a Golf would feel).

Steering lacks the degree of feel that I had in the Passat but it is precise enough.

The two work together to give a driving experience that is probably just a "getting used to it" kind of thing.

Suspension is definitely "floatier" or "wallowier" than my old Passat (very likely the same as a Golf would feel).

Steering lacks the degree of feel that I had in the Passat but it is precise enough.

The two work together to give a driving experience that is probably just a "getting used to it" kind of thing.
You're probably right ye. It's a very comfortable ride and love the car just could could with it a little less floaty

I know sports mode stiffens the steering, but if I swerve say an angle of 10 degrees or whatever is the case I guess it makes no difference as the tyres and suspension are still the same and I don't want to put it I sports mode really if I'm doing a long range journey.

Yes tyres are all equal about 2.4 / 2.5
Recommended tyre pressure is 2.2 Bar (Cold, unladen) so maybe the higher pressures are giving less grip?
Also Sports mode will stiffen the steering but NOT make the motor drive any less efficient - just throttle more responsive. If on the Motorway stick it in SPORT and use the cruise control if you can't control your foot pressure ;).

Is this your first EV? From all I have read, on everything from Tesla to the MG, the heavy battery pack makes the car feel a little less precise than the equivalent ICE vehicles. I still have to get a test drive but it is something I expect to feel.

Yes first EV, i guess unless i want to go down the route of lowering suspension, dampners and bigger wheels etc ill just get used to it.

I know exactly what you mean. It's the extra weight of the battery generally giving you more angular momentum when changing direction coupled with the slightly soft suspension and the slightly detached steering. It's actually more sure-footed than a Leaf.

The tyres won't make much difference unless you're really throwing it round corners at high speeds, in which case you'd want lower, firmer suspension. That would make it horrible over any bumps.

I think they've come up with a reasonable compromise, it's just the steering that could be sharpened up a bit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom