My boot rattles like it's catching when I close it.

Baldini84

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone. Had my mg5 around 2 weeks and ever since purchase it's sounded like something is loose or catching when I close it. Are they all like this or is this something to take back to the show room?

Hi everyone. Had my mg5 around 2 weeks and ever since purchase it's sounded like something is loose or catching when I close it. Are they all like this or is this something to take back to the show room?
Mine sounds a bit off too. Every time I close it I am reminded of a car I used to have that had a loose number plate. I've looked around and I can't find anything in particular that is making the noise. I think that there is just a lot of lightweight plastic in that area and it is resonating with the boot slamming shut.

Mine sounds a bit off too. Every time I close it I am reminded of a car I used to have that had a loose number plate. I've looked around and I can't find anything in particular that is making the noise. I think that there is just a lot of lightweight plastic in that area and it is resonating with the boot slamming shut.
On mine it is the load cover flap at the back touches tailgate on closing

On SWMBO's 5 it's definitely the number plate holder.

No, they aren't all like this. No boot rattling issues with mine (yet 🤞).

Same on mine, sounds like cheap tinny hatchback lid compared with the cabin doors which have a satisfying clunk, It was the plastic registration plate flapping against the lid. Cured it with a couple of pieces of foam rubber pushed under the plate

Mine also sounds like there are loose parts when it shuts. Will take a look at the parts mentioned in this thread. I just put it down to build quality, but as previously mentioned the doors sound solid in closing.

Same on mine, sounds like cheap tinny hatchback lid compared with the cabin doors which have a satisfying clunk, It was the plastic registration plate flapping against the lid. Cured it with a couple of pieces of foam rubber pushed under the plate
I agree it's the number plate when you shut the lid. Mine sounds like what we did in school many many many.... years ago with a ruler on the edge of a desk and ping it. If you do the same with the Edge of the number plate it sounds the same.👴

I have the same when closing the boot. I think it's the hinged plastic flap that protects the catch making the noise. I tried supporting the boot lid while lowering it so that it's a gentle closure, it just latched closed smoothly with no noise.

It was a flappy number plate for me, resolved when I used bolts instead of the sticky bits.

I took possession of my MG4 a couple of weeks ago and have noticed rattle from the boot at slow speeds on uneven roads. I looked at issues reported here and none seemed to apply. For those of you who still have this issue I believe I solved it today. There is a a small removable cover above the boot latch which moves a little so taped it. I also applied a little tape to the boot latch itself as well. The rattle seems to have stopped. I have attached a couple of photos and used white tape so you could see it on the pictures. I hope this helps some of you are are going crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3462.jpeg
    IMG_3462.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 69
Check there's nothing trapped betwixt the top of the tailgate and frame, especially under the aerofoil bit. Had a malformed acorn trapped there which was graunching against the bodywork as the tailgate was being closed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom