My car has died

Mykola

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
After I have returned from two weeks holiday my new MG HS PHEV 22 year reg have DIED , cannot open car with keys , can't charge vehicle, lucky I left it home and not on airport parking, have no idea what to do , can anyone help with advice, thank you

Hi, if the you can get in using the above method and the car still does not light up then it sounds like a flat 12v battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading a number of reports on this forum regarding dead cars after periods of no use, I’ve tried to prevent this ever happening to me. I’ve connected a splash proof adapter plug to the 12v battery + & -, so I can easily connect a smart charger if the car is inactive for any length of time. I recently went on holiday for two weeks leaving the car at Home, I plugged in the granny charger via a time switch to allow four hours of off peak charging daily, and connected the smart charger permanently on to the 12v battery. When I returned all batteries were fully charged and the car operated perfectly. I’ve also run additional + & - fly leads to the undertray where the smart charger can be connected without needing to access the car. A small amount of work for considerable peace of mind.

After reading a number of reports on this forum regarding dead cars after periods of no use, I’ve tried to prevent this ever happening to me. I’ve connected a splash proof adapter plug to the 12v battery + & -, so I can easily connect a smart charger if the car is inactive for any length of time. I recently went on holiday for two weeks leaving the car at Home, I plugged in the granny charger via a time switch to allow four hours of off peak charging daily, and connected the smart charger permanently on to the 12v battery. When I returned all batteries were fully charged and the car operated perfectly. I’ve also run additional + & - fly leads to the undertray where the smart charger can be connected without needing to access the car. A small amount of work for considerable peace of mind.
I'd appreciate more detail on this. Where did you get the splash proof adapter and how do you fit it?

I'd appreciate more detail on this. Where did you get the splash proof adapter and how do you fit it?
Here’s a picture, the orange plug and socket are the ones you’ll find on garden power tools. The socket is permanently connected to the vehicle, the red wire is connected to the fuse box positive tab with an inline 10a fuse for protection, the black negative wire to the bracket next to the fuse box. The smart charger extension cable has the orange plug attached, when it is disconnected the spring loaded flap on the socket closes to provide splash protection. I’ve been using this set up for many years on a variety of cars. Plug & socket purchased from B&Q, £5?
IMG_1929.jpeg

Here’s a picture, the orange plug and socket are the ones you’ll find on garden power tools. The socket is permanently connected to the vehicle, the red wire is connected to the fuse box positive tab with an inline 10a fuse for protection, the black negative wire to the bracket next to the fuse box. The smart charger extension cable has the orange plug attached, when it is disconnected the spring loaded flap on the socket closes to provide splash protection. I’ve been using this set up for many years on a variety of cars. Plug & socket purchased from B&Q, £5?
View attachment 22023
Thanks for this.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom