My first year of MG5 LR Pre FL ownership

maskull

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Well it’s one year behind the wheel of my MG5 LR and all in all I’m well pleased . I prefer the practicality of the estate format to the nondescript SUV format . But that’s just a matter of taste .
OK it’s not the prettiest car on the block and hasn’t got the most up to date tech . No real problems to report . I did have a few issues with some chargers and the odd early on . That could just be the chargers or me being an EV newbie at the time ( though I know I won’t go near an EV Box charger again )

On the negative side the SatNav is pants as is the support from NaviExtras . I miss the heated steering wheel in the winter ( present on my last two cars ) . The windscreen condensation in the car is probably the worst I ever known . Sometimes it seems as though it should have windscreen wipers on the inside of car ;) .

Another negative is that I can’t charge at home but that’s not the car’s fault . Running costs for me are on a par with my last two hybrids which returned about 70 mpg

Happy that I made the jump from six years of hybrid to full EV

Another negative is that I can’t charge at home but that’s not the car’s fault . Running costs for me are on a par with my last two hybrids which returned about 70 mpg
Curious, can you elaborate on your decision to buy an EV when you knew (or didn’t you?) that you couldn’t charge it at home? One of the main selling points for me was to be able to take advantage of ultra low EV night time rates??

Curious, can you elaborate on your decision to buy an EV when you knew (or didn’t you?) that you couldn’t charge it at home? One of the main selling points for me was to be able to take advantage of ultra low EV night time rates??
Partly because I wanted to do my bit as far as reducing pollution goes . Partly because I wanted to be able to drive freely into cities without having to pay clean/dirty air charges .
I would have made the jump years ago bar for the fact that the range on cars at that time was pathetic and the charging infrastructure in Wales was even more pathetic . The charging infrastructure is improving and I the fact that one was openining up about 200 yards from my home was a clincher
Charging at home would be ideal but until such time ( if ever ) that some clever person comes up with a way to do it safely that's a no no .
As I said in my post the running in costs are on a par with my hybrids taking into account zero tax , servicing costs ( my hybrids required service every 10000 miles as opposed to 200000 i.e. two services a year as opposed to one )

Charging at home would be ideal but until such time ( if ever ) that some clever person comes up with a way to do it safely that's a no no .
Almost everyone that owns an EV charges at home, therefore do you have general safety concerns or is there something peculiarly about the way your house is wired?

Why do you think that?
… well for starters the difference between home/public charging rates are enormous (factor 10 in some places).

But as maskull just confirmed, I have to concede that urban living seems to have it’s own set of challenges when it comes to this topic…

It's very rare that I have problems with condensation, But when it happens I just winde the rear windows down an inch. I keep the heater on, but the MG5 LR PFL is very good. The estate has been used as a skip lately, The amount of stuff you can get in it is great. I've had very little problems with the car. Not like my wifes MG4 ! Thats got an elastic band stuck in the door from the dealers.

… well for starters the difference between home/public charging rates are enormous (factor 10 in some places).

But as maskull just confirmed, I have to concede that urban living seems to have it’s own set of challenges when it comes to this topic…
Sadly I am one of those urbanites that cannot charge at home. Sooo wish i could but happy having EV without the option :)

Almost everyone that owns an EV charges at home, therefore do you have general safety concerns or is there something peculiarly about the way your house is wired?
You would be surprised the amount of ev owners who can't charge at home me being one of them. I've been told that I shouldn't have one because no home charging, makes me wonder if its turning into an elitist thing owning an ev 🤔

You would be surprised the amount of ev owners who can't charge at home me being one of them. I've been told that I shouldn't have one because no home charging, makes me wonder if its turning into an elitist thing owning an ev 🤔

Not sure it is elitist - I didn't go to Eton!

We have something that has not existed with Petrol/Diesel, namely being able to have your own supply outside the environs of a dedicated filling station. If we had been able to do this it would have been available only to those that could safely store a tank of fuel. Electric is going to make this available for a lot of households, but there are going to be many who will not be able to do it and so pricing of commercial charge points as well as locations is going to be important.

I think the term "elitist" is a little harsh . It's more the case that many only see it from the their own personal circumstances . This is true of most people , not confined to EV ownership .
From my point of view I'm filled with jealousy when I see other owners taking about charging for 7p per KwH ;)

Well it’s one year behind the wheel of my MG5 LR and all in all I’m well pleased . I prefer the practicality of the estate format to the nondescript SUV format . But that’s just a matter of taste .
OK it’s not the prettiest car on the block and hasn’t got the most up to date tech . No real problems to report . I did have a few issues with some chargers and the odd early on . That could just be the chargers or me being an EV newbie at the time ( though I know I won’t go near an EV Box charger again )

On the negative side the SatNav is pants as is the support from NaviExtras . I miss the heated steering wheel in the winter ( present on my last two cars ) . The windscreen condensation in the car is probably the worst I ever known . Sometimes it seems as though it should have windscreen wipers on the inside of car ;) .

Happy that I made the jump from six years of hybrid to full EV
For Sat nav, get one of these, its a game changer Wireless Android Auto Adapter / Dongle - wired to wireless. | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not wanting to tempt fate, but my 5 LR has been excellent over two and a half years and covered 41k. As others have said, if I didn't have a home charger it wouldn't be viable as the running costs would be higher my Jag XF that I chopped in. Frustrating thing is that the residuals have dropped faster than Harry and Megan's credibility over the last 18 months. The XF would still be worth more than the MG, even though it would be 5 years old and combining the mileages, but I'm saving £3k a year in diesel and RFL costs. Before anyone says about the cost of electric, my Podpoint app tells me that cost me £350 over the last year, and getting around 3.7m/kwh. Must admit, I am looking at the Dacia Spring as a runabout.

I think the term "elitist" is a little harsh . It's more the case that many only see it from the their own personal circumstances . This is true of most people , not confined to EV ownership .
From my point of view I'm filled with jealousy when I see other owners taking about charging for 7p per KwH ;)
Probably a little harsh, though have been told a number of times I shouldn't have an ev, tis a tad annoying, I do enjoy the car even though my closest charging station is 2 miles away, ok on a pleasant day, a walk through the glen with the dogs is nice, but when weather is foul even the dogs complain. 😂

Not wanting to tempt fate, but my 5 LR has been excellent over two and a half years and covered 41k. As others have said, if I didn't have a home charger it wouldn't be viable as the running costs would be higher my Jag XF that I chopped in. Frustrating thing is that the residuals have dropped faster than Harry and Megan's credibility over the last 18 months. The XF would still be worth more than the MG, even though it would be 5 years old and combining the mileages, but I'm saving £3k a year in diesel and RFL costs. Before anyone says about the cost of electric, my Podpoint app tells me that cost me £350 over the last year, and getting around 3.7m/kwh. Must admit, I am looking at the Dacia Spring as a runabout.
I am one of those people who cannot charge at home and is jealous of those that can. That said the EV is still cheaper than my previous diesel.

I currently use a public charger at 46p/kw.

The charge cost has to hit 75p/kw to match the cost of my previous diesel. Once I go over that the ev is costing me more.

That all said running cost was not my main reason for switching. I love driving my ev even without the convenience of home charging.

I've had my PFL 18 months now and done 22,000 miles, I'm with Sainsburys EV tariff and get 7 hours at 9.5p/kWh 00:00 to 07:00, I don't mind watching TV until it's time to charge, I also have to get up at 06:30 to do the wife's medication, so everything fits, the car is brilliant to drive.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom