• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

My MG5 experience as a family holiday car - London to Somerset

Andytizer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5

I made a video about my experience of the MG5 EV as a family car and how it handles a a trip from London to Somerset. My testing is not very scientific, but I hope it demonstrates the MG5 has the range and size to cope with these medium range distances and a stay on a farm in the countryside.

Glad you had a good holiday down in here in cider county. I've not seen another MG5 outside of the dealers yet so good to know I've not been alone!
Are you concerned at all about using a standard 13A extension lead? Did the cable feel warm at all?

I made a video about my experience of the MG5 EV as a family car and how it handles a a trip from London to Somerset. My testing is not very scientific, but I hope it demonstrates the MG5 has the range and size to cope with these medium range distances and a stay on a farm in the countryside.

I'd be very careful handling that extension cable of its damp. Probably worth investing in a better one that can be left outside even in light rain.

One funny thing i noticed is I had two sticky tapes under my bumper on the right side... so do you! Why is that? I pulled mine off.

Glad you had a good holiday down in here in cider county. I've not seen another MG5 outside of the dealers yet so good to know I've not been alone!
Are you concerned at all about using a standard 13A extension lead? Did the cable feel warm at all?
Cable felt fine, I unravelled it fully so it doesn't coil up and generate too much heat.
I'd be very careful handling that extension cable of its damp. Probably worth investing in a better one that can be left outside even in light rain.

One funny thing i noticed is I had two sticky tapes under my bumper on the right side... so do you! Why is that? I pulled mine off.
Yes this made me realise I am taking unnecessary risks.. I've now ordered a waterproof extension cable which will be much safer I imagine! Thank you for prompting this :D.

Loved your video on the Somerset trip. Your extension cable worried me a bit. Lucky it did not rain. You need to have an RCD at the 13amp socket end? This will trip and indicate a problem without causing injury or worse.

Loved your video on the Somerset trip. Your extension cable worried me a bit. Lucky it did not rain. You need to have an RCD at the 13amp socket end? This will trip and indicate a problem without causing injury or worse.
I'm not sure what an RCD is? At home I have an external 3 pin socket with a waterproof cover which I use, I assume the electrician did the right thing and isolated this from the rest of the breakers?
When I was in the lodge I just plugged into an internal 3-pin plug, hopefully that would be okay, is this risky?

I'm not sure what an RCD is? At home I have an external 3 pin socket with a waterproof cover which I use, I assume the electrician did the right thing and isolated this from the rest of the breakers?
When I was in the lodge I just plugged into an internal 3-pin plug, hopefully that would be okay, is this risky?
Would definitely say use an RCD see pictures or an extension cable with one built-in.
Residual Current Device will cut the power if it detects a currect flow to earth.

Attachments

• 20210601_165204.jpg
    20210601_165204.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210601_165208.jpg
    20210601_165208.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 134
The RCD is a auto isolater that is used for electric garden tools etc to make sure that if you cut a cable or their is an earthing problem the electricity does not go through you with possibly fatal results! It just plugs into the 13amp socket in the wall and the you plug your extension into it. They usually have a test feature so that you can be assured lt is working ok. Water and electricity do not mix.
Amazon have them for a tenner or so.

Would definitely say use an RCD see pictures or an extension cable with one built-in.
Residual Current Device will cut the power if it detects a currect flow to earth.
The RCD is a auto isolater that is used for electric garden tools etc to make sure that if you cut a cable or their is an earthing problem the electricity does not go through you with possibly fatal results! It just plugs into the 13amp socket in the wall and the you plug your extension into it. They usually have a test feature so that you can be assured lt is working ok. Water and electricity do not mix.
Amazon have them for a tenner or so.
Thanks for comments. I have ordered this RCD plus the waterproof extension so hopefully this should cover all eventualities. Still have a lot to learn, I started some research and looks like granny charging could potentially be quite a fire hazard as well..

Attachments

• firefox_RCxPzAvPF9.png
    firefox_RCxPzAvPF9.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 156
I think if you have a modern house with good wiring there is nothing to worry about. If in doubt get an electrician to confirm that circuit is suitable for the load. I had to get main DNO (power distribution supplier) input fuse increased to 80amps for fitting of 7kw charger in the future. Not gone EV yet.

Well done to you. Just a point in passing but if you need to use an extension lead consider putting it under the car, if there's space, so that it keeps most if not all of the rain off? Maybe you did - I haven't watched the video yet!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have posted a followup video using a new cable, RCD, pavement cover setup to do my over-the-pavement charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom