My Month with a EV

mystreet

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all,

Wanted to say right at the start a big thank you to all those on here as you have been a great source of help and knowledge. (y)

Pre Purchase

Went to look at a MG5 EV at Toomey Basildon as Glyn Hopkins Chelmsford did not have one in stock. Long and short of it was the wife did not like the MG5 but loved the MG ZS next to it. Deal was done, nearly £9000 off with our old car as part ex. Handover was agreed for 14 days, which was the end of November therefore no tax to pay on the old car for December. We have a personal plate so requested to take it off and gave the V778 when it arrived too Toomey to put on the new car. Four days before handover I called to see how it was going and was informed that ‘our’ car had been doubled sold and was in Southampton. No worries will ordered another one but may not get it until the day before the handover which would not give them time to do the PDI, we could have it a few days later. Did manage to wangle free mats, boot liner and ‘mud flaps’.

Handover

Day before informed by Toomey that there is a problem getting the system to accept our V778 so I said just registered it and we will sort it out later (luckly that I scan it first!). Due to Covid handover was a bit strange as they could not run us over the car so was told any problems just give us a call, and by the way your V778 is with admin so we will have to get it to you later. Played with a few buttons and dials and got it home. As it was a ‘rush’ to get it PDI’d they did not have time to give it a full charge, but everything seems ok. Was informed that all the software updates were done after asking.

Post Sales Follow up

None!

The Car

Love it, still learning what all the knobs, buttons and setting can/should do. I have turned off the lane departure as started to get annoying, changed the headlamp bulbs for LED’s and yes broken on tab on each side! Connected the phones (iphone and Android) so that we can have Waze on the big screen. Got used to filling it up after the GOM showed ---, but it is always my job, nothing changes! Had the wall charger (EO Mini Pro) installed which was a saga in itself. Just had the rear windows tinted.

The V778 took about 4 weeks to get to us, so as I had scan it, the next day after getting the car I logged on to the Gov site, entered the details and low and behold, it was done. Could not do it on the same day as the site did not know the new reg number, updated overnight?

The furture

Still to go on a long trip with it to see how we manage.

Get back to Toomey’s as all the update were not done. Cannot charge while unlocked so don’t think the fuse update will be done as well, came with CF2 preinstalled from factory. Also no AA card. 😟

Learn how to manage trips with charging stops.

Contact Glyn Hopkins to see what their service is like, and will they take us on.

See what else it can do, but we are converted.

Learn more from here.

Thanks

Dean

Hi Dean,
Very comprehensive update thank you, are you sure your AA card is not in the vehicle pack in the glove box, I’m sure you would have looked as it’s been a discussion on here many times.
I got mine with Glyn Hopkins East London, and they were really good and called me after a few months to ensure I was happy with the car, the service team were great Comfort 2 updates done for free, but not all the software seems to have been applied or accepted, main problem being the auto headlights the option is in the menu now but doesn’t seem to do anything...will raise it at my first service which will be about Feb 21.
Re AA card speak to your dealer it may just be a small oversight, but your AA card is renewed again at your annual service.
Happy your enjoying your car.
All the best

Hi Mark,

Checked the pack before writing this. Want to see if we had the emergency card and smaller 'navigation system' book , which we do. Also 'found' the A3 'quick user guide' but no AA card, which I don't think matters because all it is is a phone number. Might have to remember what the orignal reg number was!

Nice write up Dean, impressed with all the mods you have done already to the car in the short time you have had it.
Sounds like you are Chelmsford based, I'm too and with a Black MG ZS EV - hopefully will bump into you at some point.
Quick Tip on Charging during Long Trips: I used Google Maps app, whilst driving when my range dropped below 80miles, I just asked it "Rapid Charger near me" and it started showing results. When I had around 70 miles left I just chose a Rapid Charger nearby and went for it.
Google Maps App also helpfully showed no. of chargers 'Available'. This was only shown for some of the chargers and not all, but not sure what 'Available' means though, need to figure that out.
However wouldn't hurt looking up your route in advance, don't trust Ecotricity chargers (that is what I selected - Ecotricity Peterborough and it was broken, luckily nearby where a bunch of Ionity chargers to save the day)

Yes, @kompkar your right, actually in SWF.

Where did you get your one from? If it was Glyn Hopkins in Chelmsford how are they? Know that you said elsewhere that you have looked at Tesco for free charging but none around. Have you looked at Sainsbury's in Springfield as the one near me does free charging

Nice write up Dean, impressed with all the mods you have done already to the car in the short time you have had it.
Sounds like you are Chelmsford based, I'm too and with a Black MG ZS EV - hopefully will bump into you at some point.
Quick Tip on Charging during Long Trips: I used Google Maps app, whilst driving when my range dropped below 80miles, I just asked it "Rapid Charger near me" and it started showing results. When I had around 70 miles left I just chose a Rapid Charger nearby and went for it.
Google Maps App also helpfully showed no. of chargers 'Available'. This was only shown for some of the chargers and not all, but not sure what 'Available' means though, need to figure that out.
However wouldn't hurt looking up your route in advance, don't trust Ecotricity chargers (that is what I selected - Ecotricity Peterborough and it was broken, luckily nearby where a bunch of Ionity chargers to save the day)
Just tried that, seems a good tip - thanks

Yes, @kompkar your right, actually in SWF.

Where did you get your one from? If it was Glyn Hopkins in Chelmsford how are they? Know that you said elsewhere that you have looked at Tesco for free charging but none around. Have you looked at Sainsbury's in Springfield as the one near me does free charging
No, I got mine from MG Wakefield.
Really wanted to get it from MG Chelmsford having done test drive and all with them but there was a £1500 price difference so went with Wakefield.
Both MG Chelmsford and MG Wakefield were pretty good from my experience.
I believe MG Chelmsford have been open only for about 2 months, so probably still catching up in terms of offering good deals etc. like other dealers are able to. Will be taking up a multi-year service agreement with them as soon as they start offering one.

Springfield Sainsburys is actually closer to home than the Tesco's but I haven't seen any charging station in there either.
But personally I don't see much point in free charging in supermarkets as usually I'm done with my shopping in 30 mins are less and won't have gained much charging at 7kWh in 30mins. It might work for those who are walking distance to their supermarket car park though.
I managed to fully charge my car for the first time using a 3-pin granny charger over the weekend, had to leave it plugged in for a good 24hrs but not sure how long it actually took to complete the charging.
Got the Zappi installed yesterday and now need to find an excuse to go somewhere (lol) to use up the charge and so I can use the Zappi !!

I had my Zappi installed on Monday. Complete with Harvi & Hub + extra CTs for the solar PV and battery system. I’m very impressed so far 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom