My PHEV running cost savings

My first post and am doing on the savings cost as have seen posts on cost of charging and using fuel in a PHEV.

I had a Peugeot 308 SW auto and would do around 100 miles a week which cost around £15 to £17 to top up at £131.7 per litre with petrol.
I now have my HS PHEV and for August I was running around in Hybrid mode not using the EV button, I have a smart meter display so I am able to see my electric use per day/ week / month. I would top up the battery every 3 day to 100% and this has cost me £5.00 for the month of August @ 18p per KWH. but the big saving is in fuel, I have been topping up every Saturday and have been putting away the differences between above and and the amount spent each Saturday and I have saved £52 from the day I got the car on the 22nd July.
Last week I started to use the EV mode more and my fuel top up cost £4.50 This weekend. This is just the day to day running cost not take in to count the all the other costs of running a car.

I am similar with my current PHEV. Using public charging points is too much faff for the short charge especially given my PHEV doesn’t have fast charging. Charge at home, use ‘save’ setting and top up with regen braking works best for me. To some extent a self-charging hybrid is a better option.

I've been pondering upon the idea of using EV mode on my PHEV for local journeys.

Each time I do that I end up having to run to a full (or 80% charge) more often and i'm wondering does that mean i'm going to be putting my battery through more cylces per mile than a full EV?

The answer is probably yes...

Does that mean I will be winding down the life span of my battery at a faster rate than a full EV?

Something tells me the answer will also be yes..:unsure::oops:

Anyone crunched the numbers?

I am not sure the evidence supports that. One of the earliest PHEV’s on the market is the Volvo V60 D5/6 Hybrid launched in 2012. I have one and have never heard of Volvo replacing a battery pack.

I am similar with my current PHEV. Using public charging points is too much faff for the short charge especially given my PHEV doesn’t have fast charging. Charge at home, use ‘save’ setting and top up with regen braking works best for me. To some extent a self-charging hybrid is a better option.
I totally agree with 99.9% of your comment.
But "Self - Charging Hybrids" really ARE the devils work :devilish:.
Keep WELL away from them !.
The whole concept and the sales persons patter, just makes my blood boil :mad: .
Got to run 🏃‍♂️I feel a bit sick all of a sudden :sick: !.

I must admit, I can be guilt of parking in the EV spots, because it saves me going hunting for a space. However I do plug in and get charge when I do it. I do it in both, the Leaf and the HS Phev

Maybe if we end up with the HS PHEV and as one car we need to have another go at using public charge points. So far one of the faff’s for me is too many different suppliers needing a plethora of apps on your phone. Should be like paying for petrol, you plug in, charge up, pay contactless and go. KEEP IT SIMPLES!!

Maybe if we end up with the HS PHEV and as one car we need to have another go at using public charge points. So far one of the faff’s for me is too many different suppliers needing a plethora of apps on your phone. Should be like paying for petrol, you plug in, charge up, pay contactless and go. KEEP IT SIMPLES!!
100% agree, I don't mind if you get a small discount for being a "member" and having a card, that way you can get the best prices at the one near work, or at your local supermarket etc, but ALL should have contactless, simple pay and go operation.

The ones I use are at a shopping centre (god I hate those places), they use contactless to authorise/unlock the cables, but don't charge for electric, so it saves me hunting for a space, and I probably saves me something like 30p in electric :LOL:

I've been pondering upon the idea of using EV mode on my PHEV for local journeys.

Each time I do that I end up having to run to a full (or 80% charge) more often and i'm wondering does that mean i'm going to be putting my battery through more cylces per mile than a full EV?

The answer is probably yes...

Does that mean I will be winding down the life span of my battery at a faster rate than a full EV?

Something tells me the answer will also be yes..:unsure::oops:

Anyone crunched the numbers?
Phev HV battery is smaller than most EVs.
My 5 year old Leaf has 30kWH pack and 80kW inverter.
My HS has 16.6kWH and 90kW inverter.

When using at similar power levels, HS uses 2x amperage due to smaller pack and that means higher drain current. Outlanders are the most popular Phevs and battery degradation one those is massive. My 2017 Juro was at 78%

Careful use of the ev button can make a huge difference. I recently did a 66 mile run and back, on the way down I used auto mode and got 42mpg at mostly 70mph battery was 92% on arrival. On the return trip, I switched ev when the range matched journey miles left. I got 63mpg again mostly at 70mph and 0% on arrival. Admittedly I have to pay for the electric, probably under £2.50 but the petrol saving was probably nearer £4
For anyone wondering about Long journey HS PHEV Fuel economy....

Had a long trip (mostly motorway and dual carriageway) this week around each way 208 miles

Outbound

Took it slow as wanted to see how careful driving would make a difference.
Journey took 5 1/2 hours (mix of careful speed and heavy traffic)
EV started with 90% charge. used EV during jams and final few miles
Results mostly averaged 42mpg on the way ended up with 49mpg overall with last mile on EV

Return
Full tank & 100% charge
Journey took 4hrs, less conservative speeds, use of EV at the odd jam
Results mostly averaged 39mpg on the way and ended up with 49mpg overall with last miles on EV
Had around
118 miles left in the tank and 5 miles on EV

Kinda surprising results considering the time differences each way..

Don't mind the 49mpg final average.. its a big car and a comfy and quality drive and ride

Very recent trip to Scotland and back in my 1.4 Octavia, 1800 miles and the fuel consumption ended up as an average of 55mpg. No real problems getting fuel in Scotland, more difficult down south.
Didn't drive it as though I'd stole it but a steady 60 on A and Mway and about 40-50 in the highlands.
I would have thought the HS PHEV would do better and assume it would in local journeys with plug ins.

Very recent trip to Scotland and back in my 1.4 Octavia, 1800 miles and the fuel consumption ended up as an average of 55mpg. No real problems getting fuel in Scotland, more difficult down south.
Didn't drive it as though I'd stole it but a steady 60 on A and Mway and about 40-50 in the highlands.
I would have thought the HS PHEV would do better and assume it would in local journeys with plug ins.
The shape and weight makes a big difference. Outlander never returned more than 40mpg. HS Phev tends to do better.

Luckily most of my usage is local - today drove to London and back - 75 miles and got 60 mpg equivalent as I was mixing EV mode with Auto

The shape and weight makes a big difference. Outlander never returned more than 40mpg. HS Phev tends to do better.

Luckily most of my usage is local - today drove to London and back - 75 miles and got 60 mpg equivalent as I was mixing EV mode with Auto
Yep I think that's the point with PHEVS they're not so eco on longer journeys albeit the comfort level is amazing.... My old cactus would achieve 55mpg if I didn't push it.. but the ride was never something I wanted to do a lot of in it..

In my PHEV local journeying (which is 90% of what we do a year) means I don't need petrol at all, and can bide my time so no need to queue or fret.

an 80% charge will last me a week just using EV mode alone, but when I need that very long journey I'm not fussing about charge points on my journey

Best of both worlds for me... I've no regrets what so ever..

Yep I think that's the point with PHEVS they're not so eco on longer journeys
Yes - I have to agree with that.
I had a PHEV for 4 years before going full BEV with the ZS EV.
Really enjoyed my time with the PHEV and I though it to be very economical car for shorter trips.
But if you are a high mileage user case, who is conducting longer road trips, then a PHEV does not really do it in regards to economy stakes.

F6C2AF17-EB01-423D-9261-5615C5B566FF.jpeg
Mileage for me is racking up 😒
Of the 5k miles I think 2000 have been Petrol driven.
Just last week I topped up the car ad I needed to go into London possibly twice. That became 4 times. 500+ miles in 10 days. Thankfully EV mode gets used more than not

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom