My Red ZS Exclusive & some useful info re BMS HVB Fuse Updates

Tango130

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
1st EV, I currently drive a Porsche 924S on a daily basis(with regular periods on axle stands refurbishing components as I go) but need a more reliable car to pickup/drop off my little lad at nursery etc.

Zappi 2 charger arrived yesterday, being installed today. Off to Brindley MG Wolverhampton tomorrow to collect, pre-reg delivery mileage Dynamic Red Exclusive. I've been assured by the salesman that the Comfort 2 update and all applicable recalls have been carried out.

Less than idea weather forecast but there is nothing I can do about that! Looking forward to picking it up!

Zappi 2, Hub and phone all synced up. 5m type 2 lead also arrived too, all coming together.

I'm also picking up my Pimlico Blue on Thursday. I did go to Bridley Wolves as they are my closest dealer but they didn't have any pre-registered Exclusives in stock. Ended going to Stoke. Can't wait.

Two weeks in, love the car, complete EV convert. Planted the seed with a few colleague who've taken it for a test drive.

I've been assured by the salesman that the Comfort 2 update and all applicable recalls have been carried out.
Frustratingly this was not the case :cry:, even more so when this was confirmed before delivery via email and also verbally on the day of collection.

I'll give the salesman his due, he offered to cover any of the costs incurred at having the updates performed locally to where I live.

Booked in with Chorley Group MG (Burnley) this morning at 0830, all finished by 1000. I was walked through into the workshop where the mechanic explained the updates he performed, in addition he had the car on charge whilst unlocked and the door open as a nice little demo.

IPK, BMS & DCDC and TC (HVB Fuse) all updated.

In other news, locking wheel bolts have arrived from Brown & Gammons MG via Ebay, rubber boot liner due tomorrow.

@Tango130
Welcome, and well done getting your home charger fitted BEFORE getting your cat. I got a WallBox through Scottish Power and they insisted that I had the car first, before agreeing to install. Their logic was that they can check the unit is charging specifically to the car, but it did delay things a bit, so I had about a fortnight of Grannie-charging.
Enjoy the new car!!

Two weeks in, love the car, complete EV convert. Planted the seed with a few colleague who've taken it for a test drive.

Frustratingly this was not the case :cry:, even more so when this was confirmed before delivery via email and also verbally on the day of collection.

I'll give the salesman his due, he offered to cover any of the costs incurred at having the updates performed locally to where I live.

Booked in with Chorley Group MG (Burnley) this morning at 0830, all finished by 1000. I was walked through into the workshop where the mechanic explained the updates he performed, in addition he had the car on charge whilst unlocked and the door open as a nice little demo.

IPK, BMS & DCDC and TC (HVB Fuse) all updated.

In other news, locking wheel bolts have arrived from Brown & Gammons MG via Ebay, rubber boot liner due tomorrow.
Hi Tango,

How did you work out that updates were missing? I’m getting mine delivered this morning and I want to check they are all done?

I’m also north west - Wigan.

Cheers

Hi St0cky,

From reading quite a few threads here & posts on FB.

Here is how the car should work after being updated:

Comfort 2 - on your dash central screen you should see remaining range displayed, on your infotainment screen top right you should see outside temp displayed.

BMS:
Delayed charging - Open your charging flap, lock your car, wait 30+mins, plug in your charger, car should start charging.

Unlocked AC charging - Open your car door, open your charging flap, plug in, car should start charging.

HVB Fuse: Hard to tell if this has been done, my car left the production line late June, this update hadn't been carried out during its build. So I'd say if your car hasn't been in for a service/update recently this hasn't been done.

Last edited:
For me I see the benefits of each update as:

Comfort 2, less bings & bongs and an easily read remain range displayed. My test drive car already has this update so I'm none the wiser as I haven't experienced the reported annoying bings and bongs.

BMS, without this update I don't believe the car will 'wake up' to start a delayed charge on a cheap overnight tariff, quite critical if you are on Octopus Go/Agile tariff which prices drop to 5p or less per kW overnight.

Also, say you stop to charge on a long trip and no CCS chargers are available, so you have to resort to a slightly longer charge via 7kW charger, personally I'd like the ability to charge the car and still be able sit inside without the faff of locking myself inside etc.

HVB Fuse (DCDC and TC) is just a software update to stop you being stranded - a few owners had their cars stop for no apparent reason while driving.

Last edited:
Thread title updated to help with search results regarding BMS/HVB fuse information that has been posted.

Here are a couple of videos I took today for a user over on Facebook:

Unlocked AC charging:

BMS Update timed charging:

Hi St0cky,

From reading quite a few threads here & posts on FB.

Here is how the car should work after being updated:

Comfort 2 - on your dash central screen you should see remaining range displayed, on your infotainment screen top right you should see outside temp displayed.

BMS - open your charging flap, lock your car, wait 30+mins, plug in your charger, car should start charging.

HVB Fuse - open your car door, open your charging flap, plug in, car should start charging.
Aaaaaaaah!

Thank you @Tango130 - I had been confused about the effects of BMS & HVB Fuse updates (despite reading confused many forum threads to try to understand it) until I arrived at your wonderfully succinct post.

Locking wheel bolts & rubber boot liner arrived this week.

Strangely the torque figure for the wheel bolts isn't listed in the owners manual, had 120Nm quoted to me from salesman I bought my car from.

PXL_20201023_105607896.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fitted a set of locking wheel bolts today, supplied by Brown & Gammons MG through their Ebay outlet: MG ZS EV LOCKING WHEEL NUT SET, BRAND NEW, MG reference RRB000080E0 (BGGS0001) | eBay

Incase anyone is searching the forum for wheel bolt size its 17mm. Wheel bolts torqued to 120Nm (data supplied by Brindley MG, as it isn't specified in the owners manual)

Slightly disappointed that the decorative caps don't fit over the locking wheel bolts.

PXL_20201027_102137904.jpg

Not only do your wheels need a good clean :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:........but you need a set of these too!

Attachments

• BB3CA808-C3A2-43CB-ACDA-5AC01E8DC324.jpeg
    BB3CA808-C3A2-43CB-ACDA-5AC01E8DC324.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 181
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom