My Red ZS Exclusive & some useful info re BMS HVB Fuse Updates

HVB Fuse - open your car door, open your charging flap, plug in, car should start charging.
This I understand is not quite right.

The High Voltage Fuse update is just a software update to stop you being stranded - a few owners had their cars stop for no apparent reason while driving. There is no way of telling if this has been applied as far as I’m aware.

The BMS update is a rewrite of the type 2 code to make it more compatible with smart chargers and includes the ability to charge with the car unlocked. This is easy to check.

This I understand is not quite right.

The High Voltage Fuse update is just a software update to stop you being stranded - a few owners had their cars stop for no apparent reason while driving. There is no way of telling if this has been applied as far as I’m aware.

The BMS update is a rewrite of the type 2 code to make it more compatible with smart chargers and includes the ability to charge with the car unlocked. This is easy to check.
👍 gone back and updated both posts, thank you!

Last edited:
Test fit of my Thule roof bars, can't remember the exact name of the bar as they are 7+ years old, they do have the wing bar type profile. Just needed some new feet to fit the roof rails.

Test drive later to see how noisy they are.

Plan isn't to leave them fitted all of the time, but will be used quite a bit over summer.

PXL_20201028_150654066.jpg

I bought some for about £35 off eBay, (months ago) they work fine, but are only JUST long enough and a bit fiddly to fit...with its extra long alen-key. I might perhaps use them once a year...but its nice to have them should they be needed.
MG Roof Rails 2.jpg

MG Roof rails 3 .jpg

I bought some for about £35 off eBay, (months ago) they work fine, but are only JUST long enough and a bit fiddly to fit...with its extra long alen-key. I might perhaps use them once a year...but its nice to have them should they be needed.
View attachment 762
View attachment 761
Are you still looking to swap out your MG ZS EV for something with more range??

Possibly Mark, I've been looking at Kona's, but they are just so boring to look at and no where as nice as the MG....and MUCH more expensive.
The range and car is fine most of the time. Its just on our occasional long trips that the Mrs gets "range aniexity" and get fidgety sitting next to a charger for an hour! If a £5-10 k battery upgrade were available, I'd have it in a heartbeat.

thumbnail_IMG_8629.jpg

I love the rest of the car.

I fully understand what your saying, my wife doesn’t like to sit there in the car while charging, she gets very impatient and just wants to reach our destination as quickly as possible. That said I mainly use the car for work and to be honest the car is paying for itself with the savings I’m making on everything else at present, I love driving mine, but if you could eek out the range to M5 distance that would in essence be all I would need for this country.
Wasn’t there a fire issue with the Kona, has that problem been resolved as I’ve seen a few reports on them catching 🔥??

Possibly Mark, I've been looking at Kona's, but they are just so boring to look at and no where as nice as the MG....and MUCH more expensive.
The range and car is fine most of the time. Its just on our occasional long trips that the Mrs gets "range aniexity" and get fidgety sitting next to a charger for an hour! If a £5-10 k battery upgrade were available, I'd have it in a heartbeat.

View attachment 763

I love the rest of the car.
I stopped there on a 700 mile road trip. Bn to Middlesborough to Norwich and back to BN

Fitted a set of locking wheel bolts today, supplied by Brown & Gammons MG through their Ebay outlet: MG ZS EV LOCKING WHEEL NUT SET, BRAND NEW, MG reference RRB000080E0 (BGGS0001) | eBay

Incase anyone is searching the forum for wheel bolt size its 17mm. Wheel bolts torqued to 120Nm (data supplied by Brindley MG, as it isn't specified in the owners manual)

Slightly disappointed that the decorative caps don't fit over the locking wheel bolts.

View attachment 753
Odd, used the link and got this reply for compatibility:
This item doesn't fit MG MG ZS 2020 Electric SUV EV FWD -- -- -- 105KW 143HP TZ204XS105K02.
Got the same with headlamp Led's on another thread?

Last edited:
For those of you who aren't on Facebook or haven't seen, the SA17 HVB Fuse service action bulletin was kindly posted by some who was given it by his dealership.

FB_IMG_1604084034391.jpg

Hi all, I took delivery of my ZS in the middle of September this year. I definitely have the comfort 2 update but I don't have the BMS update as I cant charge on a 7kW with the doors open. I take it I should have had the BMS update but not sure about the HVB fuse as I assume they would contact me if mine was affected. If I phone the dealership tomorrow what should I ask for ?

I took delivery of my ZS in the middle of September this year. I definitely have the comfort 2 update but I don't have the BMS update as I cant charge on a 7kW with the doors open. I take it I should have had the BMS update but not sure about the HVB fuse
I was in the same position as you purchased early October, I even asked the dealership to ensure all updates were performed, they lied, I took their word for it, no BMS or HVB Fuse updates performed.

I assume they would contact me if mine was affected.

Unfortunately not, as per the document above "As this is a service action there is no requirement to call customer vehicles in specifically to carry out this work."

If I phone the dealership tomorrow what should I ask for ?
Tell them you can't charge your car with the doors unlocked which is an obvious indicator that the BMS update (SA010) hasn't been performed, also ask them to prove that the SA017 update has been carried out as it should be been in accordance with the service bulletin:

"Dealers are requested to carry out this action on all demonstrators, vehicles in their stock, new vehicles awaiting delivery and any vehicles in their workshop for any other reasons"

Insist this is done asap as you do not want the main fuse to fail and be stuck wherever this could happen.

Tango130 thanks for the advice, will be calling them tomorrow. I was also promised that all updates would be done before delivery. Seems a shame as what do they have to loose apart from customer confidence !

I was in the same position as you purchased early October, I even asked the dealership to ensure all updates were performed, they lied, I took their word for it, no BMS or HVB Fuse updates performed.

Unfortunately not, as per the document above "As this is a service action there is no requirement to call customer vehicles in specifically to carry out this work."

Tell them you can't charge your car with the doors unlocked which is an obvious indicator that the BMS update (SA010) hasn't been performed, also ask them to prove that the SA017 update has been carried out as it should be been in accordance with the service bulletin:

"Dealers are requested to carry out this action on all demonstrators, vehicles in their stock, new vehicles awaiting delivery and any vehicles in their workshop for any other reasons"

Insist this is done asap as you do not want the main fuse to fail and be stuck wherever this could happen.
👍

Is the latest charging update that allows doors open on AC not SA15?

From my research on the updates/upgrades I understand them to be:
SA10 - BMS
SA15 - Comfort 2
SA17 - HVB Fuse

I only have documentation of SA17(as above), so happy to be corrected. SA10/SA15 have been worked out after reading multiple posts across this forum and Facebook groups. If you have anything to suggest otherwise I'd be interested.

My car came with C2, but I specifically needed SA15 (and 17 by default) applying to get delayed charging working. Possible that the module part of C2 had failed, but if you have Comfort 2 you don’t get to charge with the doors unlocked.

there may be an ‘SA’ to go with Comfort 2, but it’s not itself a service item per se as it’s not carried out by default.

Last edited:
@ScifiArgonaut has provided a great post with more detail about timed charging & unlocked AC charging:

1st. Update your ZS software. I booked mine into Richmond MG Southampton 3/11/20, they really listened to me and understood what I was talking about. I told them I had a Rolec charger and that I had charging issues and that I read on the forum that there is a BMS updates that can fix it. They have a technician called Gareth who is their EV expert and they said bring it in and they would check if the software was up to date even though I only got the car on 21 Set 20 and it already had the Comfort2 update.

As they recommend Rolec Chargers I asked if they would do this free of charge and they said yes under warranty. They contacted MG technical who authorised EVCC & OBC updates applied to my car. I told them that I wanted to post what the updates where on this forum so they kindly supplied me with this...

EVCC - Electric Vehicle Charge Control
Improves compatibility with smart and timed charging systems that use PWM wake up strategy (e.g. ROLEC Smart EV). When the customer connects the charging gun to the vehicle, a timer is started within the module. This allows a charge to delay the start of charging session for upto 10 hours before the EVCC module will shut down completely. If a charge starts but then stopped within 10 minutes the timer restarts.

If the charge starts and continues for more than 10 minutes, the timer will simply run for 10 hours from when the charge gun was inserted.

The charge timer will not terminate a charge session, even if the charge is delayed until 9 hours and 59 seconds after the charging gun is connected.

OBC - Onboard Charger
Allows the vehicle to be charged on AC charging stations without the need for the vehicle to be locked. When an AC charger is connected to the vehicle the charge gun will be locked into the socket and charging will start. If the customer locks the vehicle charging will continue.

If whilst charging the customer unlocks the vehicle the charging will temporarily stop, and the charge gun will be unlocked. If the charge gun is not removed within 1 minute, the charge gun will be relocked and charging will resume.
2nd ev.energy - check tariff peak times match your energy supplier and ask them to manually switch off trickle charge.

I first realised my ZS had the problem as the Rolec charger did not recognise when I was on peak rate and charged my car straight away and did not wait until off peak. - I could see what was happening on my smart meter. I then had to use boost in order to get a charge even when my tariff was off peak!

ev.energy (after a bit of e-maill ping pong), then told me what my peak times were set up to, of course they were wrong even though I had selected the correct tariff on the app!

They had to update the tariff on the app which took over a week but now it is set up correctly even though you cannot actually see what the peek times are on the tariff you have selected. You can only confirm its right on the app because when you update your Smart charge settings, "Only charge below" matches your peak rate in pence/kWh. I've asked them to show the peak rates on the app and they have made a note of the request for future app updates.

I told them I had my ZS charge software updated so they manually switched off trickle charge. (blue flashing light on the charger now instead of a green)

Good luck to everyone who is having this issue and I hope this helps you resolve it.

Regards

Jason

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom