My Solution for Rear Number Plate on MG5

jgpev

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
As many of you have noticed, the number plates supplied by several dealers have been a bit wonky.

As you can see, mine came with the black bar and happened to also overlap the MG5 badge:

mgrear-plate.jpg

I have devised a solution, which is to get a larger number plate.

The Chinese number plates use 140mm height, but the UK standard is about 111mm high. When I looked at the Chinese hole spacing, however... I realised that I didn't trust myself to drill on the edge of the plate without cracking it. It's not a problem for China as their numberplates are metal, and therefore probably come with holes and are not some acrylic material like we have that can behave strangely if care is not taken.

Here's an example of the EV numberplates one might find in China compliments of wikipedia:

Chinese_Small_New_Energy_Vehicle_license_plate_Guǎngdōng_粤 (1).jpg

Source: Vehicle registration plates of China - Wikipedia

And how one of these would look on the Roewe Ei5:

17293506.jpg

Source: 琼B·D07151, Roewe Ei5 (Sanya Prefectural City) License plate of China

With these thoughts and information, I then requested the following plate information when ordering from Pro Plates (proplates.co.uk) :
  • EV Green flash
  • UK Union Flag on Green EV Flash
  • UK Country Code Identifier on Green EV flash
  • Front Plate size: 520mm x 111mm (standard)
  • Rear Plate size: 520mm x 152mm (TALLER height, standard length)
The height I chose actually corresponds with the 152mm height of an American number plate (which is slightly taller than the 140mm Chinese one) and I figured it would leave me plenty of space to drill safely! If you feel that you can drill safely on the 140mm height plate, you can probably achieve the same concept with a slimmer look.

Result:

IMG_0035-plate.jpg

Hope someone finds this useful if they were trying to sort this out as well.

Total cost from Pro Plates for set of both front and rear (including the custom requests for size and flag/country) came out to £25.99 with free shipping. Obviously, not endorsing any particular vender, but they've always been very responsive to me and produced exactly what I've asked for (I always put in an order note and the follow up with an email and generally attach V5C to confirm EV fuel). YMMV!!!!

Oh and I used yellow plastic screws that I got off of Amazon. They all seem to be the right size, but this is specific link I used.

Fantastically helpful and looks way better... Even with severely limited DIY skills I might give this a try when I eventually get my MG5.

Fantastically helpful and looks way better... Even with severely limited DIY skills I might give this a try when I eventually get my MG5.
I'm glad you like it!

Also, here's my technique to avoid chipping the plates... I run a bunch of clear tape (any kind is great, I just used a normal roll of scotch tape, like for holding papers) around the general area I was drilling. The bits for metal work as well, although as my largest bit wasn't quite big enough, I enlarged with a wood bit, but I would probably not recommend using that to start the hole.

1633794183481.png

I used the packing materials as a template and a sharpie to mark on the back of the car, as was exactly same size.

1633794104251.png

(translucent packing slip with hole template from car... drill from back, but here laid on front of plate to confirm hole placement!)
1633794245079.png

has been solved Here a while ago, mainly using the jag xj mk2 shape number plate
have a read in the thread.
I remember that thread, but I particularly dislike the jag shape number plates and felt it was worth another option. :)

If anyone wants a non-rectangular plate, that's a great option, however!

I remember that thread, but I particularly dislike the jag shape number plates and felt it was worth another option. :)

If anyone wants a non-rectangular plate, that's a great option, however!
Yep I know what you mean, but imo I dislike the large rectangle number plate looks like it is rubbing on the MG5 badge, hence going for the jag shaped plate.

Last edited:
Small point, but isn’t the number plate supposed to also display the name and postcode of the company that provided it? (Or is that the tiny print bottom right? Couldn’t make it out on the pic) apparently they also need a BS mark since September’21 as well…
Displaying number plates

Small point, but isn’t the number plate supposed to also display the name and postcode of the company that provided it? (Or is that the tiny print bottom right? Couldn’t make it out on the pic) apparently they also need a BS mark since September’21 as well…
Displaying number plates

It’s not hugely bold, but it’s there…

7F6BE8C8-915B-4A89-99F9-C8B1055E5F0B.jpeg

6DBF2949-565D-4B87-9C44-A7C2744B83BB.jpeg

Displaying number plates
IMG20220128112316.jpg

I replaced mine with an 18 inch wide plate, it now looks correct, excuse the dogs paw marks.

@jgpev I chose to emulate your solution and the new fatter plate arrived today, exactly what you recommended from the same supplier.

I've not spent long with it yet but on a quick "hold it up to see how it looks" it seemed to overlap the MG badge. How did you get over that?

Alternatively is it easy to remove the badges, if so how?

(EDIT: on closer inspection of your pic, have you offset the plate a bit?)

@jgpev I chose to emulate your solution and the new fatter plate arrived today, exactly what you recommended from the same supplier.

I've not spent long with it yet but on a quick "hold it up to see how it looks" it seemed to overlap the MG badge. How did you get over that?

Alternatively is it easy to remove the badges, if so how?

(EDIT: on closer inspection of your pic, have you offset the plate a bit?)
Hi Smokie, I dont get what you mean by "fatter plate"?? My plate is 18 inches / 46 cm wide, please see the photo, It doesn't overlap anything, and was stuck in the middle, using the black lump under the number plate as a measurement guide, I hope this has helped, Ps. I didn't have to remove any badges.

Attachments

• IMG20220128112316.jpg
    IMG20220128112316.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Hi Bodger, my question was aimed at jgpev's post further up the thread. He managed to get rid of the rather unsightly black bar which I'd also like to do, by having a fatter plate.
Thanks though :)

I think the confusion is caused by a general understanding that fatter means wider rather than taller.

Yes I just used an old bank card to push between the letters and the bodywork
Make sure you wash the area around the badges first to prevent scratching the bodywork with any grit or dirt
You can use cotton or dental floss as well to remove the badges
They came off very easily
A bit of white spirit to get rid of the glue then a bit of polish to protect the bodywork
Job done
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom