MG5 Mystery Faults

Will do, I'd imagine they'd not take a decision to replace the VCU (Essentially what would have been the ECU in a combustion car) lightly as that's probably a rather expensive part.

Greetings from near Chablis in the MG5 courtesy car, which I'm happy (and a tiny bit bitter) has performed admirably on a drive to Lyon and again now on the return journey.

The last thing my garage said was most likely to be a VCU swap. But haven't heard from them for over a week so shall see.

But thank you everyone for sharing about this, makes it easier for us all when speaking with dealerships that we know we are not isolated cases

Just dropped mine in, although the VCU hasn’t arrived yet, they’re hoping it will be here today.

Got given an MG3 as a courtesy car, it’s ok I guess.

That's potentially two VCU swaps. Lets hope that resolves the issue. I assume both are not the same garage, im hoping that the change is based on advice from MG. Please keep us updated.

My MG5 is back at the dealer, need to call them today to discuss.
Currently have the PHEV MG HS. Im very happy i didn't buy a PHEV, It only works in EV mode if the heating is off 🤦‍♂️

Have spoken to MG Richmond Southampton who have had our car for 3 days now.
We have been told
  • the Technicians raised the issue with MG HQ.
  • MG HQ have said its a know issue. Looking at the similarity in symptoms described by people in this post Im not surprised.
  • The issue is a software issue and it is perfectly safe to drive, with the 'Check HV battery' warning. I do question this, if its going into limp mode, allthough they did 'fix' some loose wiring on our car, and it has not gone into limp mode since the first visit to the garage.
  • MG will release an update and they will contact us to update our car when its ready.
I really hope that's it. hopefully we can pick it up today and it wont go to limp mode. Need to drive to europe for xmas.

I wonder if the VCU swaps will also fix the issue, it's possible if the replacement units have a different (older?) software version.

Battery Heater - MG5 LR Exclusive

I have tried turning on my battery heater on many occasions over time by going to the battery screen in the menu and clicking always on, but it always switches directly back to off.

In the summer I guessed this was because it was too warm, but now at well below freezing it still doesn't switch on.

Any ideas?

Battery Heater - MG5 LR Exclusive

I have tried turning on my battery heater on many occasions over time by going to the battery screen in the menu and clicking always on, but it always switches directly back to off.

In the summer I guessed this was because it was too warm, but now at well below freezing it still doesn't switch on.

Any ideas?
This isn't really related to this post. This post is mainly in relation to 'Check HV battery' warning.
The behavior your describing is normal. my car also reverts to off, i think the car needs to be plugged in and charging for it to stay at on. Ive noticed on a few other options in the MG software, that you cant turn them on/off if the car is not in the correct mode.
Perhaps you could create a seperate post to ask this question, because the battery heating is a bit of a mystery to me too.

This isn't really related to this post. This post is mainly in relation to 'Check HV battery' warning.
The behavior your describing is normal. my car also reverts to off, i think the car needs to be plugged in and charging for it to stay at on. Ive noticed on a few other options in the MG software, that you cant turn them on/off if the car is not in the correct mode.
Perhaps you could create a seperate post to ask this question, because the battery heating is a bit of a mystery to me too.

Created another thread referring to older threads

Are these problems with the 'new' (or facelifted) MG5, rather the 'old' MG5? Has anybody had similar problems with the old MG5? I've gathered an impression that the old MG5 was reliable and problem-free.

Are these problems with the 'new' (or facelifted) MG5, rather the 'old' MG5? Has anybody had similar problems with the old MG5? I've gathered an impression that the old MG5 was reliable and problem-free.
Mine is a pre-facelift 'old' model. I think everyone else in the thread is too.

Mine is a pre-facelift 'old' model. I think everyone else in the thread is too.
These are the 'old' LR models, and yes that's what I thought as well, was expecting to get one with the bugs ironed out as they'd been around a while.

Think they’re all with the last batch of pre face lift LR MG5 ..
Many on a 72 plate

VCU hasn't turned up yet so mine's still in the garage, looks like I have their MG3 for at least the rest of the week as I can't easily get back there due to work commitments.

Thankfully they're ok with me keeping hold of it for now.

Limp mode again today and Check HV battery warning twice
This is what I'm worried about if the VCU change doesn't resolve it for me, if it was just the Check HV battery warning on it's own then maybe i'd be ok with driving it around with that problem but because it can throw the car into limp mode without warning I'm not happy to do so.

Drove an MG4 and a new/facelift MG5 today. Both fine cars but the latter is most suitable for us, but then would need to decide whether it's worth the £ over the old. If it's free of issues such as discussed in this post, then that might decide it.

Mine is also a 72 plate "old" style LR. Delivered September.

My dealer says they suspect MG are going to ask them to open up the battery pack.....

So judging from the different responses it seems MG still haven't found a overall solution!

My money is on this last production run was using some facelift components and some previous gen and there are firmware mismatches that don't like each other. But that is purely the tea leaf forecast of a pretengineer......

My money is on this last production run was using some facelift components and some previous gen and there are firmware mismatches that don't like each other. But that is purely the tea leaf forecast of a pretengineer......

See I would have gone with 'parts sourced outside of normal channels due to shortages and they're not up to standard or have unexpected compatability issues'.

Looks like most in this thread have later production mg5 LRs. Hope you all get it resolved as the car is genuinely fantastic.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom