Navigation: Agree to the Ts and C's each time it's turned on. Really?

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all. I'm getting increasingly irritated by having to Agree with the navigation system terms of use, Each. And. Every. Time I invoke the damn thing. It's slow enough to initialise anyway! Is there any way to do a one time agreement - at least until the device gets a factory reset when I pass it on?

If not then, dear MG, can it be done?

I appreciate it’s answering a different question than the one you asked, but honestly if you have a half-recent smartphone I’d just plug that in and bypass the in-built satnav entirely. My personal preference is for Waze, but Apple Maps and Google Maps both work perfectly well, and no doubt there are umpteen other options. I’ve heard good things about ABRP but I balk at paying the hefty monthly sub to use it in the car.

I appreciate it’s answering a different question than the one you asked, but honestly if you have a half-recent smartphone I’d just plug that in and bypass the in-built satnav entirely. My personal preference is for Waze, but Apple Maps and Google Maps both work perfectly well, and no doubt there are umpteen other options. I’ve heard good things about ABRP but I balk at paying the hefty monthly sub to use it in the car.
I balk at paying a hefty price for mobile data and phone. There are those of us for whom a mobile phone isn't a social crutch. I don't actively avoid using my phone: I just use it as and when I need to. I don't have mobile data turned on unless I specifically need it - there's almost always free WiFi available, which is also useful for VoLT calling if the mobile signal is iffy. My satnav app is Navmii, for which the map data is in my phone and gets updated over WiFi only. It has so far very nicely coped with the UK, India, Australia, Norway, Abu Dhabi and Hong Kong.

I'm on Three's 321 tariff (no longer 321 since Three started to gouge prices) however it's one redeeming feature is to that credit rolls over and over. Overthe past three years I have got through less than twenty quid of credit - which includes texts back home on a trip to India before I got a local SIM (which gave me 40 days of unlimited calls and an 1.5GB of data a day, for about three quid. I might have a contract SIM if I could find a UK one at that price but a UK contract SIM or one of the £8 for 30 days of whatever rolling contract jobbies is just way off the mark.

Unfortunately Navmii doesn't seem to work with Android Auto (yet) and, since I've paid for the head unit, I might as well use it.

Google maps allow you to save offline maps(find it under your Google map account settings). It lets you select regions on a map which can be downloaded (1GB per region max). Select multiple regions and you have almost whole of England. Of-course without network you miss out on live traffic and recent road closures.
Offline maps is a life saver on foreign travel if mobile data/ WiFi is not readily available.

I don't want to be mean, but posts talking about android auto and apple car are probably not very helpful to the OP.

I find the nav system to be clumsy as well and
1. I don't want to be using mobile data either. Not because it's expensive (I have a plan with plenty included), just because I don't want to have to plug in my damn phone every time I'm in the car.
2. It should be good enough to not need a 3rd party app.

The car built in navigation is what it is... not very user friendly. Modifying it is too risky, can messup the whole infortainment operating system.
So choices are either live with it or use an alternative offline navigator through a smart phone, Android or iOS, that's compatible with using AA or carplay.
Google offline maps is an example as already mentioned.
I suppose there's always the option of hardcopy maps, like the old days, for the technologically challenged individuals.

There is a way to use all the android apps in the screen including navmi navigator but it will be challenging for most people here... Thread: Project True Infotainment

Last edited:
My Lexus Hybrid I'm trading in for the MG5 has exactly the same requirement to accept terms. It's a get out of jail card for the manufacturer if you ram someone whilst playing about with the touch screen. All of my motorcycle GPS systems have exactly the same.

My old Prius used to display the T&Cs but then it used to go off on its own after a short while if you started driving without pressing it.

For people using Android I use an app called magic earth. All maps are downloadable so no live data is required on the move. It also has the function of using your phone as a HUD or dash cam. It's totally free and no ads. Well worth checking out. Just make note that only standard maps are downloadable. The terrain or satellite maps still use live data.

For people using Android I use an app called magic earth. All maps are downloadable so no live data is required on the move. It also has the function of using your phone as a HUD or dash cam. It's totally free and no ads. Well worth checking out. Just make note that only standard maps are downloadable. The terrain or satellite maps still use live data.
Do you have to have the Google Android Auto app for Magic Earth to work/ I tried to connect after installing Android Auto but the MG didn't find the phone (or vice versa). Plus it demands a whole load of permissions like being able to record you and accessing your call history which I really dont want to give to google (they are pretty evil you know).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom