• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Need granny cable. Which one?

heidifuss

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Newbie here so basic info needed, but can't find it!
Just purchased 2021 MG5. Didnt come with granny cable so need to purchase one, but very confusing info online.

Think I need 3 pin to type 2 (?). Want to be able to slow charge as this is best for battery life (I think).

Also where is good to buy? Halfords, Screwfix, ev king etc?

Thanks in advance

You do realise just how slow charging on a granny cable will be? A chart I have shows it will charge approx. 7 miles for each hour it's plugged in. That may be very approximate but whatever, it's going to be slow, so if you are depending on significant mileage every day you'll be wanting to find a different method of charging.

But yes, its 3 pin to a type 2.

Here's an MG one on eBay, 2nd hand but might be OK - good price

EDIT you are sure there isn't one - from memory, in mine, it's in a modest size bag in the netting on the right hand side of the boot - could easily be missed.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Newbie here so basic info needed, but can't find it!
Just purchased 2021 MG5. Didnt come with granny cable so need to purchase one, but very confusing info online.

Think I need 3 pin to type 2 (?). Want to be able to slow charge as this is best for battery life (I think).

Also where is good to buy? Halfords, Screwfix, ev king etc?

Thanks in advance
If you got the car from an MG dealer then the granny should have been with it as they come with one when new.
Are you getting a home EVSE charge point installed?

Thanks for replies. We are awaiting installation of charging point and the car came with fast charger cable only. So looking for granny cable to use in meantime and also as backup.

Looked on eBay, just a bit nervous of fakes. Wondering whether a generic one would be OK.
Thanks for advice

Try and get one with 6A, 8A and 10A settings. I got one from a Kia and drop it to 8A so the plug top doesn't get so warm.

Thanks for replies. We are awaiting installation of charging point and the car came with fast charger cable only. So looking for granny cable to use in meantime and also as backup.

Looked on eBay, just a bit nervous of fakes. Wondering whether a generic one would be OK.
Thanks for advice
The one I linked to appears to be a car dealer (Focus Car Sales), he has another one up for sale too. I suspect it's his way of making a few extra bob - sell a 2nd hand EV (like yours) but don't pass the the granny on and make an extra £100 on each sale.

Try and get one with 6A, 8A and 10A settings. I got one from a Kia and drop it to 8A so the plug top doesn't get so warm.
Yep I carry one of those instead of the MG one specifically for that reason, charged at 6A when away and the socket was still a little warm so kinda glad I wasn't trying to pull 10A the whole time.

Don't worry about the slow speed of a granny charger, unless you run your car battery low every day then it won't be a problem. Just make sure the socket you plug it into is a good one and is wired propoerly, but for the first few charges check it regularly to be on the safe side.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom