New car day approaching

Billym44

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
So this coming Thursday I take delivery of my HS Excite PHEV. A mixture of excite and apprehension if I'm honest. Got to be excited about a new vehicle, but I've read an awful lot on here about little glitches, (and I must be honest if I'd known all these 6 months ago, I probably would have bought elsewhere), but we're here, all set up and ready to go.
I've been reading the manual about the charging procedure and I'm a little confused,, so excuse my stupidity but can someone clarify please:
1. Once I've connected the vehicle to the charger I have to lock the vehicle to ensure the cable can't be disconnected?
2. So you can't charge the vehicle if it remains unlocked?
3. If the vehicle is locked, and you need to see the screen to check the status, you have to unlock, stop the charging procedure, and press the start button to check the battery status?
4. And then if battery isn't fully charged, re-lock and the charging will restart automatically?

Feel like I need a book "MG PHEV for Dummies". Thanks for any advice.

1. No the cable locks at all times,... But when the car is unlocked, upending one of the doors will unlock the cable

2. Yes U can , as long as u don't open doors..... If U are cleaning the car and U leave the doors open while it's charging....I don't know what happens then.....sorry.

3. No , just press the button on the door handle. (Without the keys in reach of the car off course)

4. If U are charging and let's say....the power cuts away.... When power returns the car will just continue charging.

Greetz.

It takes about 5 to fully charge from 0 using the granny lead. So depending if you have a drive and cheap overnight electricity you may need to think how you will change it ( especially with dark nights).
Personally i do the following ( luckily i have a drive).
I have a 10m waterproof extension lead that i plug into a wall socket in the garage and it runs under the garage door to outside.
I run this and put the plug end ( of the extension lead) in the boot.
I have the granny charger connected to the plug end and then leave the body part ( electronics)and the plugs in the boot for waterproofing but mainly security.
The type 2 lead then plugs into the charging port.
I close the boot
I check to make sure its charging then lock the car and go inside.

I make sure there is nothing touching the granny charger in the boot as it gets warm , also the cables coming out of the boot are nowhere near the locking mechanism.

this afternoon got my mg ev es trophy bright red with sun roof not driven far quite foggy in our area looking forward to many miles of electric travel

So this coming Thursday I take delivery of my HS Excite PHEV. A mixture of excite and apprehension if I'm honest. Got to be excited about a new vehicle, but I've read an awful lot on here about little glitches, (and I must be honest if I'd known all these 6 months ago, I probably would have bought elsewhere), but we're here, all set up and ready to go.
I've been reading the manual about the charging procedure and I'm a little confused,, so excuse my stupidity but can someone clarify please:
1. Once I've connected the vehicle to the charger I have to lock the vehicle to ensure the cable can't be disconnected?
2. So you can't charge the vehicle if it remains unlocked?
3. If the vehicle is locked, and you need to see the screen to check the status, you have to unlock, stop the charging procedure, and press the start button to check the battery status?
4. And then if battery isn't fully charged, re-lock and the charging will restart automatically?

Feel like I need a book "MG PHEV for Dummies". Thanks for any advice.
Don’t worry about it, I’ve had my one for 9 months and I love it, you soon get used to its little foibles but it’s basically a very good car, the equal of my Merc GLC and my land rover Evoque.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom